Hey so I have a double neck SG 1275 and im wanting to 100% mod it to a metalhead guitar.

But I have a few questions ...

How "metally" is my guitar

Body: Maple Double-SG
Neck: Maple 22 Frets w/ Rosewood fretboard
Pick ups: Semour duncan invader (Neck and Bridge) (12 & 6)

Any good for hardcore but also lighter stuff?

Many Thanks
The 1275 is a nice guitar. It's as metal as you want it to be depending on your amp.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
SD Invaders are trash. They're so muddy. And in a 12 string, I can only imagine them being pretty darn unusable. I think that for metal, 12 strings are a gimmick. You'll want pickups that are pretty much the opposite of an Invader tonally. I.E. bright and articulate. I'd suggest something like an Distortion/Jazz for the 6 string and perhaps a 59/Jazz for the 12.

Your amp is going to be so much more important than whatever pickups you're going to be putting in it though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
my double neck had a humbucker from hell on the 12strg side and it was perfect. on the six string side maybe a suoer distortion in the bridge and a super is great for a neck pick up.

In an all maple guitar I have found that an dimarzio air zone in the bridge sounds wicked as well

Last edited by sytharnia1560 at Sep 3, 2015,
I have a pair of double necks. Mostly what they do is keep the dust off the floor under the bed.
Heavy, unwieldy and cool for just about two songs and then they go back in the case.

If I need to switch between 12-string and 6-string (I do, actually), it gets done on one of the Variaxeseseses.
Quote by dspellman
I have a pair of double necks. Mostly what they do is keep the dust off the floor under the bed.
Heavy, unwieldy and cool for just about two songs and then they go back in the case.

yeah the one I built got so little use I have ended up taking bits off it for other guitars so that all thats left is the body and the 12strg neck
I had a Gibson 1275 that I sold years ago because it rarely got used due the extreme weight issue others have mentioned. It was great for a song or two then I had to take it off. I also could not find a stand that would accommodate the guitar so I was always afraid it would get knocked over or damaged. The sound was excellent and the action on 12 string was beautiful and low for a 12 string. I kept the strap I bought for it that goes over both shoulder and crosses "X" across your back to even out the weight on both shoulders. As much as that helped it was still not used enough to keep in my closet. I put it up on consignment at local music store, it sold easily and I bought two other guitars with the money.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 4, 2015,
My wife bought me a set-neck Epiphone doubleneck for a birthday surprise a few years ago and I must say that I do enjoy it frequently. The unique thing about them is the ability to play one neck and bring its volume control low, and then use the sympathetic vibrations through the body exciting the strings on the other neck which is turned to full volume.

With that, the guitar will self-accompany as I play it and it sounds echoe-y and something like a keyboard playing along (I heard once that this was how Jimmy Page recorded the final chords of "Over The Hills And Far Away"). That alone is such a beautiful sound it makes it worth picking this guitar up despite the added size and weight (the body is an SG style, which is lighter, and it weighs about the same as a Les Paul).