I was thinking of signing up for the magazine but two things are keeping me from doing it:
1. $40 for a year seems a tad steep for a magazine subscription
2. I wanted to see if I could get it cheaper Amazon and I found the same name magazine with a red logo and the other with a blue. Same magazine or different?

Anyone familiar with this please post I would appreciate it.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Well $40 for 12 issues doesn't sound very expensive to me, in fact it's just a little over half price. From that perspective it looks like a good deal.

What would bother ME about it is the 38% "one star" rating on Amazon and the paltry 27% that gave it a 4 or 5 star rating. Looks like customer service with the outfit dealing with Amazon is pretty terrible. Be careful!

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Guitar/product-reviews/B00005N7OC/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
$3.33 an issue doesn't seem excessive. Assuming it's 12 issues.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I guess I am just spoiled. Mens Fitness made me an offer $15 for 2 years and that is 12 mags each year without fail.
It does seem like $20 a year was pretty standard for magazines when I used to subscribe to some.
I think it would depend on the ad content and "fluff". Guessing Men's health is ad heavy. One look at me would tell you that I don't know firsthand. Also, if they're posting tabs or chord charts in the magazine, they probably have to pay some sort of license.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
It does seem like $20 a year was pretty standard for magazines when I used to subscribe to some.
I think it would depend on the ad content and "fluff". Guessing Men's health is ad heavy. One look at me would tell you that I don't know firsthand. Also, if they're posting tabs or chord charts in the magazine, they probably have to pay some sort of license.

All good points. And yes they are add heavy. So with what you listed actually makes sense.
There's the difference. Mags like "Men's Health" and similar rags exist to sell stuff...Lots of stuff. Further, the "articles" often consist of little more than little snippets of advice of very dubious merit.

So....You have a large advertiser base, and very little budget for quality writers.

Almost completely the opposite for special-purpose magazines like Acoustic Guitar.

I have to say, I subscribed to Guitar Player for about 10 years, and considered it money very well spent. Learned a lot.
Still subscribing? I ask for I was about to but decided to read the 2015 reviews versus the one in 2001 and the reviews with how the magazine today is not nearly as good as it was in 2001.

I am going to pass for now, but might grab one off shelf to see if the reviews match what they say.

If you are curious you can find it on Amazon and look at the newer reviews.