Hi guys,

So about 5 or 6 years ago when I first started playing I bought one of those Ibanez starter kits with a GRX70. I bought it on advice from my tutor at the time who was into metal and so it's an axe looking guitar - I'm sitting here wishing now that I'd got a strat as that's what I'm after but I still enjoy throwing this little Ibanez around. I'm looking to mod it now having also bought a HB Les Paul and one of the things I'm after is a pickguard. I've seen all this about custom pickguards but will a pickguard for an RG550 or 750 fit my GRX70?

Also as it never came with a pickguard what's the best practice to put it on? Will it be something I can work around the hardware or is it best to strip it down to just the body to put it on, also is it best to predrill the holes or just to screw it on, I don't really wanna get any splits or damage the paint job (although having said that I'm already considering a respray, just depends on if I can be arsed)

Cheers,
Alex
Pre drill any and all holes. Also, if the pickups mount to the pickguard (correct me if I'm wrong, but they usually do) you're going to have to rout the body on top to make room for the pickups as the guitar is presently rear routed. That's even assuming that the guard will line up in the first place.
This may be more work than it's worth.

If you want to keep the guitar, go with a respray. If you want a little single coil pickup action, you can buy a mounting ring for the humbucker holes that hold a single coil.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Rout-adapter-ring-Fits-Strat-pickup-ANGLED-THREE-COLORS-_p_4349.html
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I take it back. take the pickup rings off the guitar, and that part should work without re-routing
. Maybe it won't be that bad.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
you can play it safe and do swimming pool routing, this way you can have any pickup combination. Even if you do a terrible job the pickguard covers the mistakes. Ebay sells the pickguards even cheap brushed aluminum ones.

but honestly without a pickguard it's so much easier to:
swap pickups - without taking strings off and all
re-wire the guitar with killswitches every kid thinks they need to custom mods

i remember this washburn i worked on the damn thing had a pickguard and it served absolutely no purpose. The guitar was routed the way your ibanez is but it had a pickguard for some reason. So to swap pickups it took 2-3x longer than it should have.
Cheers for the help guys, hasn't found anything about routing before so will look into that! Yeah I solely wanted to put it on for the aesthetics to make it a bit more interesting!
routing is optional but it makes life so much easier.

swapping the pickguard because there was no wires routed was a massive pain in the "gibson"

this is what it looked like , if they never swap pickups ever or know a very patient guitar tech it won't be that bad, On one hand the less wood taken the better for tone and sustain. On the other hand doing it this way where you wouldn't have any extra routing like i suggested you'd have more tone and sustain. For a really advanced player who can tell the difference between say alder and mahogany it's a good idea to do that...but if they just started i'd route it.

the link won't work but this is a washburn MG (mercury) series
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81425&stc=1