Been looking at new amps to upgrade from my Valveking 112 combo for a while. I primarily play hard rock and metal and have been interested in the Laney IRT60H for a bit. Found it online for $649.99 with a coupon code for Labor Day for 15% off. After tax, I get my new head for $590! It is on backorder until November but that gives me time to find a good cab to go with it, so the wait isn't THAT bad, though I do want to get it in badly! I am really looking at the Orange PPC212 closed back cab as well as the Hughes and Kettner 212 cab with V30's as well.

Which cab would you guys suggest? The Orange seems to be the "top tier" pick. I really only need a 212 cab.

How big of a difference will I notice going from a valveking 112 to a head/cab setting?
I'm always an advocate of "building" a cab. Get a used speaker set (2 V30s should be ~$200) and you can get a Seismic audio empty 2x12, which is almost identical to the PPC212 is dimensions in whatnot for about $150. Avatar also has great cabs relatively cheap.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
What does a used Mesa Recto 212 go for in your market?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I have an orange ppc 212 closed back and i think it sounds great if that helps you at all. I run a Marshall dsl15 through it.
Quote by Dinglebuttz

How big of a difference will I notice going from a valveking 112 to a head/cab setting?

Well it's going to sound different because it's a different amp, and you'll be using better speakers than the VK has as well. To see what difference is caused by the separate head/cab versus combo thing, you'd ideally want to try the same amp in head and combo formats (and with the same speakers in the combo, and assuming the circuit is the same in both, which normally, but not always, is the case).

I haven't tried the ironheart so I can't tell you how it compares. I'm guessing it's a fair bit more modern-sounding with more gain, but

Nice score
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My go to cabs are orange and mesa.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I live in a rural area in southern Indiana, so I'm not sure where I'd go to even find a recto 212. Louisville KY is probably the closest place with a big selection about an hour and a half away.
Check the local Craiglists and Guitar Center Used.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
So I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Orange PPC212 closed back or the Mesa recto 212 (off sweetwater). Reading reviews online and it's back and forth!

Is there any difference between the Mesa horizontal vs vertical outside of speaker height? The vertical looks like it would be nice, but my head is 3" longer then the width of that and I don't know if it would be unstable.
it would be stable, but i personally hate how it looks to have a head that overhangs your cab.

orange and mesa are equal in my book. pick a color and go with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Aren't Mesas V30s tweaked a bit from normal? TS, I think either would sound good, but look into it, I think there is a slight difference for Mesa V30s vs. normal..
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Aren't Mesas V30s tweaked a bit from normal? TS, I think either would sound good, but look into it, I think there is a slight difference for Mesa V30s vs. normal..

Some of the Mesa cabs are, some aren't. I don't know whether it is newer or older, but my mesa cab is regular V30's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Thanks guys. I ended up ordering a brand new orange ppc212 from guitar center. They gave me $140 for my old Peavey transtube amp and an additional 15% off for labor day sale. Ended up getting it for $530 including tax. Can't wait to get it in! Now I just need my Laney to come in too. I'll be using my Micro Terror in the meantime, as well as my valveking 112.
Quote by Dinglebuttz
Thanks guys. I ended up ordering a brand new orange ppc212 from guitar center. They gave me $140 for my old Peavey transtube amp and an additional 15% off for labor day sale. Ended up getting it for $530 including tax. Can't wait to get it in! Now I just need my Laney to come in too. I'll be using my Micro Terror in the meantime, as well as my valveking 112.

sweet deal!

i love the micro terror, that should be a lot of fun on there with the new cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!