I have been using the Boss RE-20 space echo for several years now, and loved the delays and reverbs, but absolutely HATED the noise that came with it. SOOOOO noisy, even when it wasn't engaged, I had it on it's own power supply, nothing really made a difference. I get it...they want it to emulate an old noisy tape machine basically...but I couldn't handle it anymore so I sold it recently.

I am now looking for a semi-inexpensive "tape echo" pedal, preferably with tap tempo. I know Strymon El Cap is amazing, I wish I could afford it, but I'm looking for something well under $200. Right now I'm considering the Wampler Faux Tape Echo, and the Akai Headrush E2. The akai is much cheaper. I don't really need any other sort of delay because I use a Vox Delay Lab too. You can basically program in like..90 different delay settings on the Delay Lab, but the tape echo isn't that great. So, I'm looking for something to specifically fill in for the tape delay.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The Akai is a nice pedal but it doesn't particularly sound tapey, it just has the multi-head and tape gap features. I haven't tried the Wampler.

I'd check out the digitech obscura.
hmmm...i haven't even heard of this "obscura" you speak of but Digitech has been coming up on their pedal game recently. I tried a Hardwire Chorus pedal recently that was awesome! I'll check it out.

I was considering the Akai because Shnobel has a bunch of videos of it against some other delays and it sounds (to my ears) like it held up pretty well even against the Strymon El Capistan.
I've played around with the Wampler. It's a very nice sounding pedal. I like the Giga Delay's tape echo as well but that's probably overkill for you.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The Echorec is sick, but doesn't have a tap tempo or i'd be on it. The Obscura might be exactly what i'm looking for though. It has all the options i want, in a very small package, kinda affordable too. There is an akai on reverb for like $77 though. Pretty good deal.

A giga delay would definitely be overkill. Good pedal though. I've had a bunch of friends who had them, and a room mate had one. I spent a lot of time messing with it.
Quote by letsgetcokes
I was considering the Akai because Shnobel has a bunch of videos of it against some other delays and it sounds (to my ears) like it held up pretty well even against the Strymon El Capistan.

I had a Headrush for years, it is definitely a good sounding pedal, I just never thought of it as sounding like a tape unit. It has the head offset features, but with those off, I don't think you'd ever hear the headrush and think it was a tape unit, or was trying to be one. Normally I'd suggest getting it, since they are a fantastic pedal and tend to be cheap used, but since you very specifically want a tape delay, I'm not sure the Headrush is exactly the pedal for you. It's a better tool for someone who wants a looper, echo, and multi-head in one pedal, not as a strict standalone tape emulator.

Of course, those are just my ears. If it sounds like a tape delay to you, grab one.
i use the Lovepedal Gen5. it doesn't have tap tempo. as far as tape sounding it's not bad but doesn't have as much control over that as many of the more expensive units.