8 6%
Spiritual but not religious
12 9%
None of the above
91 72%
Voters: 127.
Page 1 of 7
Yeah I dont care that theres other threads on this

Do you have religion? Do you not? Are you spiritual but not religious? What does that mean?

Did you one day realize that when you're dead, that's it you're just dead? Did you one day realize that when you're dead you're not just dead but you stay alive in some fashion? Are you qualified to make these sort of decisions regarding what happens after you die? Have you done any research?

wwf asking the real questions
I guess I'm some form of agnostic atheist.

I'm mostly indifferent about the whole thing. It doesn't occupy my thoughts unless it's a current subject in a conversation. I see no evidence for any kind of higher being. I also see nothing that directly disproves it. I don't feel like it's worth my time to find out.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I voted spiritual, much to the chagrin of StewieSwan
My God, it's full of stars!
I gotta go with Pascal, Isaac Newton, Tesla, Pasteur, Von Braun, Max Planck, Einstein and others. There is more to this story than what we perceive with our 5 senses.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Not religious, don't really know what spiritual means. I don't think it's bullshit to identify as "spiritual" but it's extremely vague and practically refers to nothing in particular.

I believe that we need something to worship in order to feel significant (whether God or intellect or cash or beauty), that when you die you get scared, and that the death of what you worship is the death of your self. I'm not as interested in what someone worships as much why they worship that thing.

Quote by Cajundaddy at #33580878
There is more to this story than what we perceive with our 5 senses.

Like balance, pain, proprioception, hunger and many more!
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Sep 4, 2015,
I'm spiritual. Science answers the how but not the why.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
~~~my religion is bach~~~

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Axelfox
Prove that god doesn't exist.

your avatar

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
your avatar

nigga just said 'your avatar' aw shit
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
nigga just said 'your avatar' aw shit

You racist or something?
Quote by Cajundaddy
I gotta go with Pascal, Isaac Newton, Tesla, Pasteur, Von Braun, Max Planck, Einstein and others. There is more to this story than what we perceive with our 5 senses.

1. good list
2. there are technically more than 9 senses, possibly as many as 21, the brain and nervous system are still quite the enigma.
Quote by BladeSlinger at #33580847
I guess I'm some form of agnostic atheist.

I'm mostly indifferent about the whole thing. It doesn't occupy my thoughts unless it's a current subject in a conversation. I see no evidence for any kind of higher being. I also see nothing that directly disproves it. I don't feel like it's worth my time to find out.

Pretty much this, I don't believe we'll ever actually prove if there's a god or not. I'm not gonna bother dedicating my life to a religion with no evidence of being true.
the way i feel about it is nobody in history can or will ever prove or disprove the idea of god is real. but people will always use that idea to achieve things, however misguided or utterly naive their motives may be. But having said that, a person can still feel and even be "connected" or have a honed, sharp intuition with their surroundings and people and their life, which is what my definition of "spiritual" would be as silly a term as it is. What religion would call "feeling god" or any variation on that is just an attunement to that intuition and feeling/sensitivity to stuff.

but considering that nobody will ever or can even prove beyond a shadow of a doubt one way or the other if god is real, people should be free to practice whatever religion they want without ridicule. Just as people should be free to totally not practice religion.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Sep 4, 2015,
No

I'll just repost what I posted in a similar thread a while back (I'm lazy)

Well, I think there are 2 kinds of religions: Ones that appeal to stories and ones that appeal to spirituality.

The ones that appeal to stories, do just that. Usually there is a book or text with these stories about the religion that are true and you have to believe happened in real life. If not, there are other stories, usually supernatural ones, in various texts, customs, or the stories are just passed down by word of mouth.
These are Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and several others. These also include ones with deities, such as the Egiptian/Greek/Roman/etc gods.

These are all basically wrong. There is no reason to believe the stories are true just because. They are stories, there is nothing inherent to them that makes them true or not (when there is no evidence for them). Any kind of metaphysical conclusion you can gather from those stories is false too, even if the story is considered to be "metaphorical" (e.g what is the Genesis story from the bible supposed to tell you about reality, when you know Earth is older than 6000 years old?)

The 2nd kind of religion is more philosophical. It tries to answer how the world works, why it does, and what else is there out there, without having to construct stories or myths to convince people of so. I don't really know much about different religions (in a deep sense), so I dunno if there exists a "pure" spiritual religion. I think most religions, even "spiritual" ones (Hinduism, Buddhism, pagan religions, etc) have stories and myths too. So in this case, I'm just talking about a reduced version of those religions, without the stories.

In these cases, the line between religion and philosophy is blurred, specially if you arbitrarily choose which parts of which religion to consider and which ones to ignore.
I think no single religion is right just because. I don't believe their stories nor axioms are true, so they have to convince me they are the "true religion" by themselves. Yet I don't believe a single religion is sufficiently powerful to explain reality in a convincing way. They all feel constrained and defined by the time and moment they were created in, and in most cases you can notice the impact of the culture and society at the time on said religions (weird how in the Old Testament it was okay to stone homosexuals to death, yet now in Christianity it's not, huh?)
This includes the "spiritual" religions. Even if they are just philosophical at their core, I guess I just don't agree with them. I am also agnostic to most of the claims they make about reality, which seem arbitrary since they don't really give you any indication about why reality is the way it is, they just tell you it is because it is. I mean stuff like reincarnation, the soul, deities, "Mother Nature", etc. Those things just happen to be in the religion that proposes them, with little philosophical reasoning behind them (why does Zeus and the Olympus exist? Why should I believe that? Why should I believe there is this transcending thing called a "soul" we all have?)

In the end, it all comes down to you nitpicking parts of a religion to believe in, and ignoring others. For instance, some Christians don't believe the Old Testament (or even the New Testament) are real, but still believe in the Christian God, and believe what the Bible describes about him. This just warps any "religion" you say you are part of. These are just beliefs you have, which you take from other religions and cultures.

It's more appropriate to say that everybody has (or ought to have) their own religion, which tries to describe why the world is the way it is, what there is outside of our world that we can't experience phisically, and try to explain how reality works, and how we can know about it. However, it's redundant to call this system "religion" since we already have a name for it: philosophy.

EDIT:

Quote by whywefight

Did you one day realize that when you're dead, that's it you're just dead?

Maybe I'll be "just" dead or maybe not. Empirical information seems to show that yes, I'll die. I see people who are the same as me dying all over the place with no possible hint of them "living on" as anything, neither by experiences nor by current knowledge of the world (i.e science), so it's pretty likely I will die too. I can't be 100% sure though, since it is technically possible I could be the Great One who will be resurrected as a giant bear-fighting laser-wielding dinosaur-cyborg to destroy galaxies when I'm reborn.
But for all practical purposes (specially when living my own life) then yes, when I'm dead I'm dead.

Did you one day realize that when you're dead you're not just dead but you stay alive in some fashion?

That'd be comforting to believe, but there's no rational reason to believe I would "stay alive" after "dying", other than wishful thinking (based on fear, curiosity, etc).
The possible reasons you could have would be experiencing the death of others, and somehow realizing they "stay alive" later. But all the things that make people think about that can be explained without an afterlife ("light at the end of the tunnel" and that kind of stuff), so choosing to believe that is based on emotions more than anything.

Are you qualified to make these sort of decisions regarding what happens after you die? Have you done any research?

Hmm, no (regarding being qualified). Regarding the research, the only possible "research" you can do is dying yourself, unfortunately. Thankfully I haven't done that either, so far...

Either way, if you, me, or anybody has doubts, thoughts, or questions about what happens at/after death, I think it's better to focus on those issues head on instead of trying to shoehorn a religion into your belief system to try to magically explain those issues away so you can stop worrying about them and move on with your life

Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm spiritual. Science answers the how but not the why.

Philosophy answers that (or rather, asks that same exact question).
Last edited by gonzaw at Sep 4, 2015,
Yes. Christian, as some here might already know.
I'm really just more of a believer who prays and stuff. Not much more than that. Rarely ever go to church anymore.

Went to Catholic school, but we never really practiced any of its principles, so just Christian. On that note, I don't think we'll ever be able to prove or disprove the existence of a God, so I won't judge.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Sep 4, 2015,
Pretty much said the same in a bunch of other threads, but I was raised Catholic but I (and everyone else in my house actually) don't practice anymore or anything. I'm pretty much indifferent to it all. I think the idea of a heaven or whatever is pretty cool and makes me feel good, so yea, why not believe it? Not gonna hurt anything.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Acϵ♠
the way i feel about it is nobody in history can or will ever prove or disprove the idea of god is real. but people will always use that idea to achieve things, however misguided or utterly naive their motives may be. But having said that, a person can still feel and even be "connected" or have a honed, sharp intuition with their surroundings and people and their life, which is what my definition of "spiritual" would be as silly a term as it is. What religion would call "feeling god" or any variation on that is just an attunement to that intuition and feeling/sensitivity to stuff.

but considering that nobody will ever or can even prove beyond a shadow of a doubt one way or the other if god is real, people should be free to practice whatever religion they want without ridicule. Just as people should be free to totally not practice religion.

Wrong. People should be legally allowed to practice any religion they want if it doesn't infringe upon the right of others. However, it should not be above ridicule. No idea should be above ridicule, especially not scientology and mormonism.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11 at #33580952
Wrong. People should be legally allowed to practice any religion they want if it doesn't infringe upon the right of others. However, it should not be above ridicule. No idea should be above ridicule, especially not scientology and mormonism.

It bothers me when people single out religions for being extra stupid. All religions have silly stuff that you can't really prove or disprove. That's religion. It's all rubbish maybe true
Quote by Weaponized
It bothers me when people single out religions for being extra stupid. All religions have silly stuff that you can't really prove or disprove. That's religion. It's all rubbish maybe true

I think you can single out Mormonism and scientology cause the first was started by a cconvicted charlatan and the second by a science fiction writer. Moreover, Mormonism claims more stupid things that are untrue than Catholicism.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by welvendagreat
Is anyone even religious any more? I've only ever met like 2 religious people properly ever

Are you European?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11 at #33580970
I think you can single out Mormonism and scientology cause the first was started by a convicted charlatan and the second by a science fiction writer.

What makes up the proper prophet then? Arguing the validity of credence in doctrine based on the character of those who were chosen by GOD, to me, is a little funny. "I don't think this magic man who knows literally all the secrets of existence is the real deal" "Well this other one is especially phony". That's just my perspective as a stone cold non-believer and nice guy.

Quote by Neo Evil11 at #33580970
Moreover, Mormonism claims more stupid things that are untrue than Catholicism.
Catholics can be pretty weird too dude. It's lame to single a religion out for whatever beliefs you deemed to be "totally bonkers". WHAT ISNT TOTALLY BONKERS ABOUT RELIGION. THATS THE WHOLE POINT INNIT

In conclusion, either equally respect all religion, equally snide all religion, or be equally apathetic to all religion. The end.

P.S. It's okay to be appalled by some messed up stuff some religions do
I lost the whole religion thing some time ago. I was trying to keep a view, but... I didn't know if I could do it.

I think I've said too much.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by welvendagreat at #33580967
Is anyone even religious any more? I've only ever met like 2 religious people properly ever

old people
I voted no religion but I'm probably closer to spiritual but not religious although I don't believe in a spirit so maybe not. Religion is annoying me more than it used to, I'm finding myself having Dawkins-esque urges when I see the posters outside churches.

Quote by Neo Evil11
Are you European?

There's plenty in Europe, even plenty my age.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Sep 4, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I lost the whole religion thing some time ago. I was trying to keep a view, but... I didn't know if I could do it.

I think I've said too much.

On the contrary, I think you haven't said enough.
Quote by ultimate-slash
On the contrary, I think you haven't said enough.

Well, that's me in the corner.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Never had any religious tendencies, since there isn't any solid evidence of there being any god(s) or higher being(s). I also don't do spirituality either. I think you can be spiritual without being religious but spirituality seems to involve believing in weird shit.
I have nothing important to say
Ignostic, or whatever the kids call it these days. I follow many life principles and spiritual ideas that Buddhism follows, but I do not participate in the religious aspects of it.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by korinaflyingv
I voted no religion but I'm probably closer to spiritual but not religious although I don't believe in a spirit so maybe not. Religion is annoying me more than it used to, I'm finding myself having Dawkins-esque urges when I see the posters outside churches.

There's plenty in Europe, even plenty my age.

sure there are plenty of religious people in Europe. They just rarely push it in your face. Haven't had to deal with it much in the Netherlands, germany and France.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Weaponized
What makes up the proper prophet then? Arguing the validity of credence in doctrine based on the character of those who were chosen by GOD, to me, is a little funny. "I don't think this magic man who knows literally all the secrets of existence is the real deal" "Well this other one is especially phony". That's just my perspective as a stone cold non-believer and nice guy.

Catholics can be pretty weird too dude. It's lame to single a religion out for whatever beliefs you deemed to be "totally bonkers". WHAT ISNT TOTALLY BONKERS ABOUT RELIGION. THATS THE WHOLE POINT INNIT

In conclusion, either equally respect all religion, equally snide all religion, or be equally apathetic to all religion. The end.

P.S. It's okay to be appalled by some messed up stuff some religions do

I disagree. if you say Jesus visited America and is the son of God
than you are more wrong than if you belief Jesus didn't visit America and was the son of God. Ofcourse the correct answer is that he didn't visit America and isn't the son of God, but one of them is half right whereas the other one is totally wrong. :p And I do belief that if you let a known charlatan have sex with your wife cause he says God says it is ok, makes you especially stupid.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ