Dumb things you thought about guitar when you were a beginner (or macbook pro if you

don't play the guitar).

Josh's post in the chord app thread gave me the idea for this thread.

When I first started, I for some reason thought open notes weren't supposed to be used.

I also remember being 15 and wanting to learn "The Comedown" by Bring Me The Horizon but I didn't know how to tune to Drop A#. So I tried tuning the 6th string up to match the octave on the open 5th string (I didn't know what sharps were). I was wondering why it sounded so off.
I was confused for a while how chords worked. It didnt make sense to me since its not technically possible to hit two strings at the same time.

I saw an interview of Josh Homme once where he said he didnt know how picks worked until he had been playing for a few years and he asked a guitar store clerk wtf was on the counter
"I'll practice every day and be decent"

Oh, my younger, naive self.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
"This Stagg guitar looks rad, and they even throw in an amp, how convenient"
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
That was the only embarrassing thing for me, really.

There was also a point in time where I didn't know people tied notes together, so I thought all songs just used one note, but I'm sure we've all thought that at first.

...Right?
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I thought that all electric guitars played with distortion......
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
First time I changed strings, I took them off and was like, why is the bridge loose? And tightened it. Then tried restringing and couldnt work out why all the strings were touching the neck.
"I won't need to learn chords, i'll just play solos"

"I don't need music theory, i'll be good without it"

I'm sure there are many more but that's what I thought of straight away
Quote by GlenGuitar16
"I won't need to learn chords, i'll just play solos"

"I don't need music theory, i'll be good without it"

I'm sure there are many more but that's what I thought of straight away
I don't know either and can still play anything. I don't see how that's a dumb thought.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by Joshua Garcia
I don't know either and can still play anything. I don't see how that's a dumb thought.

Just dumb thoughts to me, I reckon I could have became a better guitarist if I learned a little more on those two things at the beginning, make me a better musician also (learn different instruments for example)
Quote by icanhasgodmode

My thoughts were similar:
"Wow, just 60 Euros for the guitar AND the amp? And this store doesn't even sell instruments normally!"
Took me a while to realise you are supposed to mute strings you aren't playing. But I used to play with so much gain you couldn't tell anyway.

I also never knew about keys or scales or whatever. I thought you had to just play randomly until something sounded right.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
I also never knew about keys or scales or whatever. I thought you had to just play randomly until something sounded right.

This

I also used to think that open notes were meant to be played on the first fret and the ones marked as 1 on the 2nd and so forth. I also used to think that when a note was muted (marked with an X) that was when you played the open note.

Also I used to think that tabs were written in the way you'd look at the strings. So the top line of the tab would be what you played on the low e instead of the high e.

Oh the joys of being self taught
Last edited by DardySon at Sep 4, 2015,
Quote by ultimate-slash
My thoughts were similar:
"Wow, just 60 Euros for the guitar AND the amp? And this store doesn't even sell instruments normally!"

Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
I first read tabs right-side-up and was confused why it didn't sound right. Dat chugging on strings and 6.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I thought you could only play chords. It didn't occur to me that you could play single notes. When I heard guitar solos, I thought "how do they move through all these chord shapes so fast?". Fortunately that didn't last long.
Thankfully, reading tabs was one of only two things my dad taught me. It would've helped if he mentioned tunings then, but that might've overloaded me so idk.

The other was learning to play the main riff in Slow Ride.
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by i_lovemetallica at #33581026
I thought that all electric guitars played with distortion......

I'm pretty sure I thought this too now that you brought it up.

Quote by Joshua Garcia at #33581025
That was the only embarrassing thing for me, really.

There was also a point in time where I didn't know people tied notes together, so I thought all songs just used one note, but I'm sure we've all thought that at first.

...Right?

The only thing I can think of is that stomp boxes some how operated as expression pedals.

Other than that, I was pretty quick to understand everything.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
i grew up from a pretty musical family so i don't have much as far as clueless beginnings, but electric guitar gear i didn't know much about back in the day. still have a spider III and a digitech grunge and death metal pedal lol

Quote by SaintsofNowhere at #33582107
i grew up from a pretty musical family so i don't have much as far as clueless beginnings, but electric guitar gear i didn't know much about back in the day. still have a spider III and a digitech grunge and death metal pedal lol

Man I'm still using a spider III 7 years after I started playing electric guitar.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
When I was 16 I sold my acoustic so I could buy an acoustic/electric because I thought it would be cool to play metal riffs with an acoustic.

I don't know what I was thinking.
Quote by Gatecrasher53 at #33582333
Man I'm still using a spider III 7 years after I started playing electric guitar.

My first 2 amps were some shitty old low watt peavy ss amp and a Roland Microcube. It took me forever to go out and actually get a decent amp.

I've also never used a distortion pedal up until like 2 years ago, and I've been playing for 7 years. I always just used the shitty built in amp distortion.
I got another one, but it's was more like I was feed false information:

Sometime after I had already learned about tunings and stuff, I didn't know how to do pinch/natural harmonics, so I asked my dad how they do that and he told me they were dive bombs and that I needed a Floyd Rose.

I figured them out on my own after a while.

It took him like another 2 years after that until he learned how to do them himself by youtube videos (understandably, since that's not really his style).
Quote by snipelfritz

Quote by icanhasgodmode

Omg your "sex in sex offender" made me literally lmao, and I started on acoustic when I was 16 and I legitly thought you only had to strum each chord in a song once.
Your left hand is what you know, and your right hand is who you are
I don't remember, I used to hang around guitarists when I still only played piano and I learned a lot from my high school music teacher yelling at them.

I know I had a few idiot thoughts though, specifics are blurred.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by entity0009
"This is sure to get me laid"

I'm never buying a Macbook Pro again

You need to take it Starbucks first.
Quote by DardySon
You need to take it Starbucks first.

A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
i just noodled and learned chords for my first 6 months before it clicked that tabs are upsidedown
I thought that the whammy bar jus thovering above the strings would cause a disturbance in the electromagnetic field, turns out it is nothing more than a jerky thing

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by gratefulduck
also, thought that wah pedals were controllers for your other pedals

I thought that distortion pedals just turned on the in-built distortion on amps....

That was after my earlier revelation about electric guitars not playing with distortion by default......

Geez I was dumb
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I ued to think EMG pickups weren't wound like others because of their flat black housings, and thus captured sound in a more tri-dimensional way.

lol I was wrong.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by Good_Lord
I ued to think EMG pickups weren't wound like others because of their flat black housings, and thus captured sound in a more tri-dimensional way.

lol I was wrong.

Lol wut?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I didn't know about bending notes and thought they were just really good slides, and I wasn't good enough to make them sound good.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Before I ever held an electric guitar in my hands, I didn't realise what the whammy bar was for. I thought it was some sort of strumming aid for noobtards, that you turn rather than push.
Interestingly, many years later, I was giving guitar lessons to a friend and he thought the same thing.