I just... cannot... play this riff up to speed. I've tried slowing it down and can get up to about 0.7 speed. Anything higher and my picking just falls apart. Strangely, enough I can "kind of" play it when starting with a upstroke. Downstroke though I just can't do it. Any tips for this? I'm talking about the main intro riff obv.
If it's easier picking it one way than the other it sounds like you might be tilting the pick slightly on upstrokes, I assume you're losing it on an 'inside picking' section?
maybe try find live video of him to see his technique
or a cover on utube
Last edited by percydw at Sep 4, 2015,
Quote by Radzilla7
If it's easier picking it one way than the other it sounds like you might be tilting the pick slightly on upstrokes, I assume you're losing it on an 'inside picking' section?

Yeah, I'm gonna assume that's it. I've actually broken it down into 3 parts focusing only on the picking and the inside picking part is what throws off my picking rhythm so to speak At moderate speeds its fine, but at higher speeds it totally throws me off. I don't notice much of a change in the pick angle, but I do notice my hand movements are more exaggerated and bounces around more on the inside picking
first riff in the tune? -i would try this: downstoke and pull off the first 2 licks -one strike each then downstroke and hammer on the first half of second (ascending notes) lick, then up stroke the second part of second (descending notes) lick and repeat.

basically you hit the strings with the pick only four times but your fretting hand is doing all of the work. walk the notes down twice, then pull the notes up once, then walk them down again.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 4, 2015,