Hi,
Im looking for new frets for my Dean V right now.
I love the feel of the XJ frets my ESP has and want something like that for the Dean too.
I can only find Dunlop-frets online. What kinda brands are there and which kinda Dunlop frets would be the best for the "ESP XJ feel"?

Thanks alot folks!!!
Quote by iammyowndeath
Hi,
Im looking for new frets for my Dean V right now.
I love the feel of the XJ frets my ESP has and want something like that for the Dean too.
I can only find Dunlop-frets online. What kinda brands are there and which kinda Dunlop frets would be the best for the "ESP XJ feel"?

Thanks alot folks!!!

you need to get some calipers and measure the width and the height of an un-worn fret. depending upon on the width and condition of the slots when you pull the frets out you may need an oversize tang. actual fret size height will differ from spec depending upon how much is removed during leveling and crowning after they are installed.

but, measurement is best done with the frets out so you can check the actual fret and the actual slot. then you can order something that will work.

iirc the esp/ltd standard fret is the Dunlop 6100. the Dunlop 6000 is .003 wider and .008 taller.

Dunlop. Jescar, Sintom, PEP Polymet are some standard makers. StewMac and LMI sell Dunlop and Jescar.

are you planning on doing a complete re-fret yourself?
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 4, 2015,
Thank you very much! Now this is an answer!! And no I will not refret it myself.
But I like to minimize costs, thats why I try to get all parts cheap and then just pay for the installation
just to chime in a bit though. If you do re-fret go stainless steel not the regular materials if you are an aggressive string bender or fret really hard. It costs more but it's worth it. On my guitars with scalloped frets I wish they had stainless steel frets for example.

I love XJ frets though; those with a compound radius would be a keeper. Jackson guitars and fender deluxe series are "famous" for compound radius. Better bends on the high frets and better chords on the first 12-ish frets.

question is would it do anything for your tone. I remember eddie van halen saying it did nothing good or bad and others saying it sucked the tone out of the frets. I'd love to see what others think though.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 6, 2015,
Been thinking about stainless too but I heard from a lot of people it´ll kill your strings really fast. I change strings once a month and a friend of mine broke his strings every 1-2 weeks after he got his stainless frets. He changed it back. So I dont know if I should go stainless. I do play pretty hard and bend and vibrato "Zakk-Style" so to speak. But I think the Dunlop 6100 sounds just about right.
Stainless steel wears much better than nickel frets, it is worth the extra few dollars for them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by iammyowndeath
Thank you very much! Now this is an answer!! And no I will not refret it myself.
But I like to minimize costs, thats why I try to get all parts cheap and then just pay for the installation

don't think that it's going to be any cheaper for you this way. it's kinda like doing half a valve job on your car and then towing it to the shop for them to finish the job. the shop will charge you more to figure out what you did right and what you did wrong and this would take more time and would be annoying. besides, we can get fretwire cheaper then you so you won't be saving any money here. just tell your person that you would like a certain size of wire installed and let them do the rest. also this way they will have complete accountability.

stainless frets. the endless argument. harder on tools and you can expect to pay around $100 to $150 more for the job to replace files and nippers. fwiw tonewise, they offer a quicker transient attack with less bloom. the effect is similar to rosewood vs. ebony fretboards in terms of perceived brightness. honestly i've seen more nickel frets wrecked by stainless strings then the other way around. if you're concerned about wear use nickel wrapped strings or coated ones or just replace them more often. it really helps if the frets are crowned correctly and polished highly -you really want to see no witness marks on the frets at all and this is what separates really good luthiers from average ones.
Last edited by ad_works at Sep 7, 2015,
Quote by iammyowndeath
Been thinking about stainless too but I heard from a lot of people it´ll kill your strings really fast. I change strings once a month and a friend of mine broke his strings every 1-2 weeks after he got his stainless frets. He changed it back. So I dont know if I should go stainless. I do play pretty hard and bend and vibrato "Zakk-Style" so to speak. But I think the Dunlop 6100 sounds just about right.

I have stainless on all my guitars, professionally leveled/dressed/polished and have never noticed any major difference in string wear. Even if I did, I would rather go through strings than frets. Stainless lasts for freaking ever. Brian May still has his original steel frets on the Red Special and that guitar is 5000 years old.
Quote by ad_works
don't think that it's going to be any cheaper for you this way...besides, we can get fretwire cheaper then you so you won't be saving any money here. just tell your person that you would like a certain size of wire installed and let them do the rest. also this way they will have complete accountability.

Yup. I think a lot of techs would look at you sideways and say "no thanks" if you brought in a bag of your own fretwire. They'll stock what they like to use, and probably don't mark it up very much because - surprise - the labor is by far the most expensive piece of this pie.

Don't waste your time. Find a good luthier and have them do your frets. Don't try to "help," I'm sure you mean well but this isn't the way to try to save money. I'm reminded of this -