I've finally got a decent amp ('65 Twin RI, after so long waiting), and as is the way of things it is of course time to think about what next to save up for because apparently I loathe having money - a state I'm bad enough at achieving at the best of times (I'm not entirely sure when these times were, as I'm quite certain I've been saving up for gear pretty much continuously for basically the entire four-and-a-half years I've been playing).

I don't want to be in "budget" territory, but affordable has got to be the name of my game, so I'm looking at probably around £5-700.

I'm never averse to going used, but I'll probably be living in Cardiff (all going well...) by the time I actually buy anything, so I'm going to say that I probably won't have access to the southeast or the north of England, which is where the vast majority of interesting used gear seems to show up.

Ideally I want something which either comes with a hardcase or which I can very easily obtain a hardcase for.

Sonically, I don't really have any artists in mind but I'm not so much after a Gretsch jangle as something a bit punchier/beefier; I could definitely be happy with P-90s, or some middy humbuckers. I'd rather not be changing any pickups, regardless.

I definitely want something big and full-size rather than any thinlines, probably a good 16 or 17 inches across. A Bigsby would be fabulous but I'm not too fussed - I can live without if I like the guitar otherwise. Aesthetically I'm somewhat torn between Gretsch-style obnoxious 50s flash or a more classy retro look like the Epi Joe Pass Emperor in natural finish (probably leaning more the latter way but I wouldn't argue with a guitar that convinced me otherwise), but for vanity's sake a bit of gaudiness like block inlays, multiply fretboard, headstock and body binding would be great for my soul.

If I'm honest I'm more looking for a vibe than anything too specific, at this point my music taste is such a complete ****ing mess that I'm pretty certain I could make something I love with any guitar, but I guess I lean more rockward than jazzward, as it were. That said, specific though it is, I think most of what I'm after is conventional enough that something should tick most of the boxes.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
My first inclination? I'd look for a used Reverend PA series or one of the Godin Archtops.

www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinarchtop.html

They should be right in your price range, used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Love some of the stuff from either range, but neither of them makes it across the pond in very large quantities; Godin are a lot easier to find than Reverend, though.

I'll definitely keep the 5th Avenues on my radar, and I'll keep half an eye open for the Reverends, but I'm not sure I'll be lucky enough to witness one in the flesh in the foreseeable.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Yeah, I know what few retailers sell them on your island. And most retailers don't carry their full lines. So USED ones will be as rare as hen's dentists. But if, against all odds, you see one, grab it and give it a go.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!