I'm trying to tab out a song in Guitar Pro 6 after not tabbing anything out for quite a while now. The riff is dead simple in 6/8 time: six 8th notes per bar (which is working fine), except at the end of the measure which is three 8th notes and then I want to hold out a chord for the last half, so I made it a half note.

Wouldn't three 8th notes and a half note complete the bar in 6/8?

I'm not as solid on theory as I should be, but I can't think of how this wouldn't work. It all adds up to a whole note, but GP won't take it. I'm at a loss. Am I missing something incredibly obvious, or is GP just messing up here?

Thanks, guys!
Last edited by ExDementia at Sep 4, 2015,
Quote by ExDementia
I'm trying to tab out a song in Guitar Pro 6 after not tabbing anything out for quite a while now. The riff is dead simple in 6/8 time: six 8th notes per bar (which is working fine), except at the end of the measure which is three 8th notes and then I want to hold out a chord for the last half, so I made it a half note.

Wouldn't three 8th notes and a half note complete the bar in 6/8?

I'm not as solid on theory as I should be, but I can't think of how this wouldn't work. It all adds up to a whole note, but GP won't take it. I'm at a loss. Am I missing something incredibly obvious, or is GP just messing up here?

Thanks, guys!

Checked this out in my own tab software (I'm only really experienced in 4/4 time), and it seems that a dotted quarter note is what you're looking for. Hope this helps.
Quote by Jake P
Checked this out in my own tab software (I'm only really experienced in 4/4 time), and it seems that a dotted quarter note is what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Exactly. To fill a bar in 6/8, you need six 8th notes. Three 8th notes and a half note is a total of seven 8th notes (a half is 4/8). But three 8th notes and a quarter only comes to 5/8. The dotted quarter is what you need, as it has the note length of a quarter plus an 8th (three 8ths).

I think that what has you confused is that you're thinking of a half note as half of a bar. In 4/4 time, that works out, but it's not what makes a half note a half note. It's a half note because it is half the length of a whole note. Whether or not that equates to half of a bar depends on the time signature. In 6/8, a half note is two thirds of your total bar length.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
No problem. And yeah, just keep that in mind. All of the note values (half, quarter, eighth, etc.) are relative to a whole note. The time signature tells you how many beats are in measure, but doesn't change the note values.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6