Poll: Which is more important?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is more important?
Killer opener
25 61%
Killer closer
16 39%
Voters: 41.
Page 1 of 2
Having a good opening song on the album to give a good first impression

or having a good closing song so that the album leaves a lasting impression

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
My impression usually comes from the singles released before the album. But if I had to choose, probably the opener.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
First impressions are more important. I make Christmas albums to give away as gifts. I made one in 2006 2008 2010 and I just finished my 2015 one a few days ago. This thread made me think of it as I was trying to consider what song to put first on it. Wait till you hear it I will be posting it on the music thread in the season arrives.
Last edited by yope at Sep 5, 2015,
All the songs should be good....creating a shit sandwich never makes for a good album.

Some of my favourite albums often start with a weird instrumental track before one of the top songs starts.....I guess it depends what audience you're catering for
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
All the songs should be good....creating a shit sandwich never makes for a good album.

Some of my favourite albums often start with a weird instrumental track before one of the top songs starts.....I guess it depends what audience you're catering for

all songs should be good but I'm afraid they ain't.
In concerts: opener. I didn't read that op was about albums. Don't care with albums.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Well, given how small the market is for 'whole album listeners' against people who will only really 'hear' something if it appears on youtube with a cool video, does it matter?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Killer closer. A good opener is important but EVERY SINGLE modern rock band puts their best 3 songs as the first three tracks and it's disgusting.
I thought you dont listen to entire albums. Preferibly the entire album is good but I'd say a killer closer so that I can just sit crying tears of happiness

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I thought you dont listen to entire albums. Preferibly the entire album is good but I'd say a killer closer so that I can just sit crying tears of happiness

Same and all my favourite albums have killer closers too I can't think of one that doesn't

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Opener for me, but the closer needs to be good too, the in between should have one or two good songs but nothing as amazing as the opener. E.g. The Violent Femmes Eponymous album.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I know it's a cliché at this point but listening to DSOTM for the first time, hearing this choon play out and just sitting there like an emotional wreck... this is what a closer should do to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlHRSpFGtQk

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
I'd say both. The opener should get you in the right mood for the album while the closer should leave you with a long lasting impression. Best example for this is Disintegration (for me). A great opener that gives a preview of what is to come and a closer that will devastate you.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
I know it's a cliché at this point but listening to DSOTM for the first time, hearing this choon play out and just sitting there like an emotional wreck... this is what a closer should do to you.

Preach.....that album is just perfection. There's a reason it's the longest charting album of all time/
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by JamSessionFreak

I'm covered in goosebumps from that right now.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
can't I just kill? I don't wanna bother with openers or closers.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Both are important. A good example off the top of my head, Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers. Brown Sugar to open with a ripping groove to get the album going. Moonlight to wind things down. Mellifluous!
Face-melting opener.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
This is probably my favourite. A post-rock/metal ending to a mathcore album that was once described as "a whole album of The Dillinger Escape Plan's most chaotic breakdowns". It's probably the loudest studio recording that isn't noise in my collection. It's what most post-rock artists try to reach and they just steamroll over them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcGzuDZRjIY
first song: oh man this is good kinda weird but i'm into this
second song: :0 :0 :0

that's the best format. ex: you'd prefer an astronaut
An opener should make it apparent that you have balls. The mid section should make a display of the dick accompanying those balls, and the closer should deliver the goods by flinging a remarkable amount of musical cum into our already smiling faces.
Quote by wafflesyrup
An opener should make it apparent that you have balls. The mid section should make a display of the dick accompanying those balls, and the closer should deliver the goods by flinging a remarkable amount of musical cum into our already smiling faces.

This is the best album-related advice I've ever heard.
Quote by wafflesyrup
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Preach.....that album is just perfection. There's a reason it's the longest charting album of all time/

Because people kept buying it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I dont think anyone listens to albums the whole way through today,
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
If you had an album with one killer song, I think you should put it 3rd or something like that. That way, people listening to the whole album, if those still exist, would listen to the first couple of songs, and then the killer one.

If it is last they might not want to listen through it all. If it is first they will listen to it and then turn it off.

But if you have only one killer song on your album, I think your problems are greater than where you should put it.

tbh though, I don't even really think of albums anymore, but singles.
I don't listen to whole albums in order, that seems very antiquated.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Guitar0player
I dont think anyone listens to albums the whole way through today,

Think again, cvnt

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Think again, cvnt

Thought again, not many do that anymore.
Depends on which groups of people you hang out with brah.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Depends on which groups of people you hang out with brah.

I dont hang out with people. I just gather information from my surroundings.

Last album I listened to all the way through was Argus by Wishbone Ash, most songs are epic and the rest are OK at worst. Opening and closing tracks are amazing.
Yeah Argus is pretty legit

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
lol who listens to whole songs anymore just fastforward to the chorus & skip to the next track
I listen to entire "albums" and in order too. But album here is really more sonatas, quartets, symphonies, etc. They were designed to be listened to as a whole. Sometimes they get sneaky and it's not even clear when one movement / track ends and the next one begins...

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 5, 2015,
Quote by Dreadnought
Killer closer, ala Bad Guy by Eminem

What.

Anyway the opener's by far more important to me since its usually my first impression. Banjocal's totally right though, frontloading is a big problem for modern rock. Having really long closers is a bit cliche too but if it works it works
Page 1 of 2