I am going to be getting a new acoustic/electric guitar in a few weeks. I already have a Fender guitar amp but I see a few amps for acoustic guitars specifically. What is the differences between them. Do you really need an acoustic amp or will a regular amp work nearly as well.
acoustic amps are designed to retain as much of the acoustic sound as possible. while electric amps will work they often don't reproduce the sound as accurately.
Acoustic guitar amp works at microphone level (and impedance) while a guitar works at instrument level (and impedance) which is lower in volume and has a greater impedance. Also, the acoustic guitar forms the tone by itself since it is an acoustic instrument, thus, the amp only amplifies the sound as clean as possible. On the other hand, an electric guitar would require tone shaping from the amp and speaker in order to achieve the desired tone. Hope this helps.
An electroacoustic can have different types of pickup system, the common one is piezo pickup, a piezo + internal mic would be an expensive one not very common on low end electroacoustics. Another one is where you use magnetic pickup like on electric, its a different design though and there arent as wide variety available to choose from as compared to electric guitar pickups.

The piezo sound is not exactly like a mic'd up acoustic, hence the internal mic in addition is supposed to blend it to sound more realistic, still a properly mic'd acoustic sounds much better than those but not a very practical thing to do everywhere live.

If it were me, i would pick a cheap reliable mixer, nothing too fancy, and use headphones or home stereo through it. Live if possible then going direct would also be an option if a separate monitor is provided to you otherwise a acoustic amp can be useful or a powered speaker can be used too.

I haven't tried plugging an electroacoustic through a electric guitar amp, i would expect it to not sound as full since the frequency range is limited with traditional guitar speakers for electric guitar. What electroacoustic model is it btw?
While it's possible to run an acoustic (or acoustic-electric guitar) through a standard guitar amp, most will agree the result sounds muffled and unrealistic.

Acoustic guitar amps have a wider frequency response than standard guitar amps.

You'll usually find that an acoustic guitar amp will have a closed-back ported cabinet with a low frequency driver AND a high frequency tweeter. Usually there will NOT be a speaker with an exaggerated mids bump as you often find in a guitar amp.

Here's a typical higher-end acoustic guitar amp: http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/ag300

which has a horn-loaded (which is why it appears "tipped") 12" LF driver, a 6.5" mids driver and a 1" titanium tweeter.

Because it has a wider range and flatter response, it can often be used for vocals and some bass as well.And the three channels worth of controls reflect that (this is from a slightly smaller version of the same amp). In addition, note that you can run a stereo input into the third channel (an iPod, for example) as a backing track for performance.

Last edited by dspellman at Sep 5, 2015,
Wow, that is all very interesting. Seems like it would be real interesting to take your electric guitar and play it through an acoustic amp, you would be hearing a lot more of what your guitar actually sounded like, not that it would be pleasant but you would be hearing everything your guitar put out. Makes me think of this one Epiphone, I think it is the Ultra 3 that has an acoustic type pickup in addition to the normal 2 humbuckers. Now that makes more sense.
Thanks for all the information!
I gigged acoustically for years through a Peavey Classic 30, then a Fender Blues Deluxe, no problem. - I didn't want hi-fi jangle. But you do need a preamp, which usually comes onboard with a piezo pickup these days. One thing that is specific to acoustic amps is the inclusion of a mic input for vocals. If you don't need that, then something like a keyboard amp, or even powered speakers might be as good or better.

EDIT, I should note that I never used the amp for the main FOH sound. It was always used at low volume as my monitor, and miced and/or DIed to the mixing desk.
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 7, 2015,
Hi everyone-
I have a Takemine G series acoustic-electric and would like to be able to modify the sound with an amp. I plan on getting an electric guitar soon and have no need for an acoustic amp (why get the same exact sound with a bit of reverb if you don't need it louder) and I'm wondering if anyone has a good amp around 150$ that will work for both my acoustic-electric and possible future electric. It doesn't need good acoustic sound but I want it to work with it any help is greatly appreciated!
I used to gig quite a bit in an acoustic duo. I used both a powered wedge and a small Fender Deluxe amp. They did sound a little different but both worked fine. I actually thought the Fender Deluxe amp helped tame the piezo quack and smoothed out the tone somewhat. It was also less likely to feed back from high volume soundboard resonance. Sometimes limiting your frequency response is a good thing.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY