So I've been scrolling through /r/PrayerorSlayer and such, and started thinking: Is all metal secretly Christian, due to its heavy usage of Christian themes?

And I was tranced out one time to this Sleep song that goes:

Drop out of life with bong in hand
Follow the Smoke toward the Riff filled Land
Drop…out of life with bong in hand
Follow the Smoke toward the Riff filled Land

Solo One
Proceeds the Weedian – Nazareth
Proceeds the Weedian – Nazareth

Creedsmen roll out across the dying dawn
Sacred Israel Holy Mountain Zion
Sun beams down on to the Sandsea reigns
Caravan migrates through deep sandscape
Lungsmen unearth the creed of Hasheeshian
Procession of the Weed-Priests to cross the sands
Desert Legion Smoke-Covenant is complete
Herb bales retied on to backs of beasts
Arise arise arise - The Son of the God of Israel
Jordan River flows on evermore
Bathe in glow of sunlight’s beating rays
They feel so lost and burned through our days
Stoner caravan emerge from sandsea
Earthling inserts to chalice the green cutchie
Groundation soul finds trust upon smoking hose
Assembled creedsmen rises prayer-filled smoke
Raise up seer’s Holy Prophecy
Lets down on upon years of the sun now feeds
Seed of Eden fall on nurtured soil
Onward caravan prepare new bong

Weed-Priests creedsman chant the rite (not sure wut comes after priests but its only one word)
Judgement soon come to Mankind
Green Herbsmen serve rightful king
Hemp seed caravan carries

Solo Two
- Break -
The molten fire flowed up toward Zion
Flight of the Nazarene to seek the Cheribum
Rides out believer with the spliff aflame
Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate

Solo Three
Grow-Room is church temple of the new stoner breed
Chants Loud-Robed priest down on to the freedom seed
Burnt offering redeems – completes smoked deliverance
Caravans’ stoned deliverance
The caravan holds to Eastern Creed - Now smokes believer !
The Chronicle of the Sensimillian

Follow the smoke toward the riff-filled land
Follow-the-smoke-Jerusalem

and thinking: is this what the caravan missoonaries were like back then?

Discuss and improve upon.
Not really. I can think of another one-song album that doesn't talk about anything but worshipping the glorious tube.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
you sound like you just smoked your first joint

so shall we just overtake this thread with drone doom or?
It's interesting how much money religion, Christianity in particular, has allowed people to make.

You could make an average film, but as long as you include some white guy sacrificing himself and crossing his arms or whatever it turns out to be a masterpiece with "christian allegories" and stuff. It also gives "free" stuff for people to put in lyrics, poems, etc.
Quote by Dreadnought
Holy shit that song is bad

Dude, you still need to check out the guitar solo a bit after the 39 minute mark

Matt Pike
If you look up "Word Salad" in the dictionary, I think that song's lyrics will appear.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by gonzaw
It's interesting how much money religion, Christianity in particular, has allowed people to make.

You could make an average film, but as long as you include some white guy sacrificing himself and crossing his arms or whatever it turns out to be a masterpiece with "christian allegories" and stuff. It also gives "free" stuff for people to put in lyrics, poems, etc.

Well, tax exemption of religious institutions is generally due to separation of church and state here, and the fact that people must voluntary donate to the place to keep it running. Personal tax exemptions usually only apply to clergymen that elect to a life of poverty, so I suppose its fair.

As for the film/works of art, that's still taxed accordingly as any other non-religious influenced product. Is it the profiting of past ideas/'intellectual property' that irks you? If someone makes money off anti-money works, should we disregard the person's output?
Quote by Fat Lard
As for the film/works of art, that's still taxed accordingly as any other non-religious influenced product. Is it the profiting of past ideas/'intellectual property' that irks you? If someone makes money off anti-money works, should we disregard the person's output?

I wasn't really trying to make a point. Though I guess "Those metal bands may not actually be Christian and just use their imagery for money" could be one.
The latter is also an interesting question. For people that complain about religion (specially Christianity) being so ingrained in our culture, should they be complaining about this use of Christian imagery too? Or is it "fair use"?
I'm not sure about metal and religious music but some Christian hymns, especially those from the Anglican and Methodist traditions are brilliant pieces of music.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Quote by gonzaw
I wasn't really trying to make a point. Though I guess "Those metal bands may not actually be Christian and just use their imagery for money" could be one.
The latter is also an interesting question. For people that complain about religion (specially Christianity) being so ingrained in our culture, should they be complaining about this use of Christian imagery too? Or is it "fair use"?

Well, I don't suppose the copyright owners of x version of x religious text would be able to sue just due to some allusion like Denzel Washington waking up 3 days after Flight, and that dank scene where you see the slow-motion crash in a field next to a church.

I think that apart from just not 'voting with your $' on thing, people should just live and let be though.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Is all metal secretly Christian, due to its heavy usage of Christian themes?

It’s trolling Christians. The persistent use of Christian themes in metal is generally done to mock and annoying zealous Christians. Black Sabbath started this tradition in the 1970s. They repeatedly accused the architects of America’s war against North Vietnam of being in league with Satan. This was a very big deal because Richard Nixon was the president and his political power came from patronizing the Southern religious right, who had turned against the Democratic Party after Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act. Basically, Geezer’s lyrics were telling the American bible belt that they had sold their souls to Satan because they were a bunch of racist assholes.

Anway, you can meet God if you get really ****ing high and listen to Disintegration by The Cure. Just start following the fox until it takes you to God. Spoiler: God’s a woman who lives in a glowing mandīr.
Quote by jpnyc

It’s trolling Christians. The persistent use of Christian themes in metal is generally done to mock and annoying zealous Christians. Black Sabbath started this tradition in the 1970s. They repeatedly accused the architects of America’s war against North Vietnam of being in league with Satan. This was a very big deal because Richard Nixon was the president and his political power came from patronizing the Southern religious right, who had turned against the Democratic Party after Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act. Basically, Geezer’s lyrics were telling the American bible belt that they had sold their souls to Satan because they were a bunch of racist assholes.

Anway, you can meet God if you get really ****ing high and listen to Disintegration by The Cure. Just start following the fox until it takes you to God. Spoiler: God’s a woman who lives in a glowing mandīr.

I like this guy

Hes not bad for a metalhead
Quote by jpnyc at #33583473

You took a "look @ how little i can wtv dnt need to finish this sentence" Pit thread and posted something of value in it. You're clearly here to save us.
Quote by jpnyc

Good post. But shock value/use of the Augmented 4th notwithstanding, when it all boils down, wouldn't you still consider them to be pretty Christian in essence? The lyrics from 13 seem to be (and allusions throughout career of course)

time to check out The Cure finally
Quote by Fat Lard
Good post. But shock value/use of the Augmented 4th notwithstanding, when it all boils down, wouldn't you still consider them to be pretty Christian in essence?

It depends on how one defines a Christian, since most of Christianity ignores all the important stuff Jesus said about turning the other cheek, being nonjudgemental, and rejecting materialism in favor of serving the poor. Black Sabbath are Christian in the sense that they actually paid attention to the things Jesus said and took a lot of it to heart instead of using it to justify being shitŧy. That puts them at odds with most of Christianity.
I was actually surprised how little of the metal I listen to makes any direct comments on religion.

seems to be just general, non specific comments on despair and doom and destruction, etc.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o