Hi all, I've been working on a song for a while now, and I know how I want to end it, but I have no idea how to get there. Currently the song is in F# Minor, and I want to be able to transition into E Mixolydian for the ending. Are there any particular chord progressions that would help the music smoothly move to E mixolydian without making it sound like it doesn't resolve? Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
If the very first chord of the E mixo section is a plain old E chord, then I think the simplest solution is to go through E's dominant. Try ending the F# minor section with a half cadence, going from Bsus4 to B. Again, this will work best if the next chord is E. Anything else, even an E7, will probably sound awkward.
you're just modulating to E major. i don't care what accidentals you use, it'll make your life a lot easier to see it that way

and yeah, pushing for that B-E cadence would be the "safe" choice. there are plenty of options but that'll be the most convincing and simple to pull off
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
This reminds me a little of Norwegian Wood. That starts in E mixolydian, moves to E dorian, and then has an E major ii-V turnaround - F#m-B - to resolve back to the original E mixolydian.

F#m-B - or better, F#m7-B7, or even just A-B - makes you expect an E major tonic. Your issue is then whether ending on an E7 instead sounds "resolved" enough to you.
Mixolydian mode is best established by a groove on the I chord, to make sure it doesn't sound like a V in A major, or - in your case - a bVII in F# minor .
Last edited by jongtr at Sep 6, 2015,
It could be cooler to change to F#mixolydian. Moving from a mode to its relative mode is probably just gonna sound confusing and unresolving. Probably not what you want for the end of a song. F#m to F#mixo brightens the intervals but still feels like "home."
Quote by MadMan'sDiary42
If the very first chord of the E mixo section is a plain old E chord, then I think the simplest solution is to go through E's dominant. Try ending the F# minor section with a half cadence, going from Bsus4 to B. Again, this will work best if the next chord is E. Anything else, even an E7, will probably sound awkward.

Thank you so much! This was the perfect way to do it. I love the way it gives the progression a dorian tinge before moving to E.
Like Hail said, you probably aren't in E mixolydian. Chord progression?
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by kingjames123
Thank you so much! This was the perfect way to do it. I love the way it gives the progression a dorian tinge before moving to E.

A ii - V - I progression doesn't sound very dorian or mixolydian to me.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud