what is the technical difference? i was thinking about it and i just don't know.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well, if it's truly a preamp then it should be able to produce a line level output - but in reality, it's all just marketing bs really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Well, if it's truly a preamp then it should be able to produce a line level output - but in reality, it's all just marketing bs really.

what is the difference between line level and other signal?

for example lets mention the H&K tubeman vs a tubescreamer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Line level and instrument/mic levels. Line level for consumer products is a bit under half a volt, pro is a bit over 1.5v.
A tubescreamer outputs about a volt - so technically it can produce a line level signal as well.
Instrument/mic level is about 100mV.

Like I said, it's mostly marketing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If i would have to guess there is a voicing change too. Dist pedal would have to take into account that its running through an extra tonestack which does change the sound, usually thinning it. AMT has both preamp pedal and distortion pedal versions of their Legend serie pedals, somebody should take a deeper look whats truly different between them.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
i would generally say in context of a "preamp" od pedal, most of them have significantly more voicings or tonal changes available, and as such, higher cost. i view them as more of a tone tool, rather than an effect.

a tubescreamer is going to sound like a screamer. you can change that. if i am buying a prepamp as a floor pedal gain stage, i expect that i can craft many sounds from it including, many gain voicings, EQ, perhaps even types of clipping, amp emulations, etc.

a great example would be SansAmp tools. they have made a name for themselves for their emulations of otehr amps and in general, a pretty quality tone for a floor pedal (opposed to real, rack mounted big boy preamps). some pedal preamps even have a line out to run straight to a board, without a power amp.

a line 6 POD is pretty much a preamp. its a multi effect, but its basically a digital preamp with effects built in.

i suppose another way, i expect if i am buying a preAMP i am buying a little mini AMP.

if i am buying an OD pedal i expect to buy a single EFFECT.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 6, 2015,
I always thought of it as a pre-amp pedal is designed to be run into the FX Return / power amp / PA directly bypassing your amp's tone section / pre-amp.

Think like Tech21 or similar.

Your POD HD500x and similar can be used as a regular pedal and/or preamp with the 4 cable method (POD amp sim directly to the FX return bypassing your amp's pre-amp).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Coincidentally,I just traded my Crunch Box for a Sansamp GT2, I'll check back in in a lil bit after I screw around with it.

I thought preamp pedals were designed to go in the loop but can be played in front. I was thinking I could plug it into the fx return, leaving the send empty, and use my amp as a power amp for the Sansamp.

Edit: So the Sansamp sounds fine going into the return with nothing in send but I think I like it better in front. It's more a general amp modeler than a distortion pedal but I'm gonna use it as a distortion pedal and I doubt I'm the only one to use it like that. Still, I assumed that was kinda the difference between a typical od/distortion pedal and a preamp pedal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Sep 6, 2015,
You mean dirt boxes where they try to capture a specific amp, in a box? "Here, try this to turn your Dual Reverb into an 800.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."