Page 1 of 2
He has a point. But this IS a gear forum. This is where people go to be indulgent assholes. How fun would it be if somebody came and asked "I need an upgrade from (blank), what do you recommend?" and we all piled on with "It doesn't ****ing matter, dude, nobody can tell anyway and it all sounds the same to the audience and all you need is a to work on your songs and stop being such a little bitch and play what you have!"

I mean hey, if you don't have the cash, then don't buy some expensive rig, you can get a great totally passable sounds from a cheap rig. But if you come here for advice, we are going to recommend to go with the best tonal option, because that's what we talk about here.

We typically even lean towards the side of cheaper shit here, always the Bad Monkey over the TS808, normally the cheapest available amp that will work (hell, the 6505 and 5150 used isn't all THAT expensive even).

/endrant
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Sep 6, 2015,
I didn't watch the whole video, but the way I see it is you buy better gear for yourself not for your audience. Unless you are in a band who's fans are known for being gear-heads no one is really going to care what your rig is, and they won't be able to tell the difference anyway.

Also, playing on decent sounding gear will naturally improve your performance, at least in my experience. If you play through gear that you think sounds crap then you will be aware that you sound like crap, which will affect your performance.
^i feel that. Even after I got my Bugera, I was much happier with my tone coming my valvestate, and I definitely was more confident in how my guitar sounded, that it cut through, that I could be hear over the mess. It made my performance better because I wasn't always battling my gear and getting frustrated.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Fricker's an irritating bellend and says nothing useful or interesting. Nobody buys a new amp or a guitar saying "wow, my audience will love the tone on this!"

Moreover, of course they won't notice specifics, but overall most people will be able to tell the difference between a band playing Stagg instruments through Gear4Music amps and something where each musician has spent maybe a comfortable £4-600 for their rig, and again to a lesser extent between that and a couple Gs' worth of gear each.

That said, yes, you can be in a decent band with crap kit. Shock.

Also, anyone who titles anything "The Truth about..." deserves a slap.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Sep 6, 2015,
The truth about Glenn Fricker: he is a jackass.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you're playing straight forward rock in a cheap venue, sure, play your squire strats with your 25watt combo amps, but I'd like to see a band like Karnivool or Dream Theater play through cheap line 6 amps, I'm sure it'll sound just like the recording...

Glenn's a cool guy, but he can be extremely narrow minded at times, and even worse, arrogant about it.
Quote by Jimjambanx
If you're playing straight forward rock in a cheap venue, sure, play your squire strats with your 25watt combo amps, but I'd like to see a band like Karnivool or Dream Theater play through cheap line 6 amps, I'm sure it'll sound just like the recording...

Glenn's a cool guy, but he can be extremely narrow minded at times, and even worse, arrogant about it.

This isn't about Dream Theater. In the video, he's talking specifically about amateur bands playing in cheap venues, probably not charging money, and with only their friends and parents in the audience.

The point he's trying to make is that you shouldn't worry about having all the right gear, but just get out there and play as best you can. He's not saying that gear doesn't matter, nor that anyone should avoid using better gear if they have the option. He's saying that if you're a small band, your audience will care more about your performance than the sound quality.
Quote by Jimjambanx

Why would you go to a gig to hear a precise reproduction of stuff you already own?

Is the overpriced warm beer the attraction?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Why would you go to a gig to hear a precise reproduction of stuff you already own?

Is the overpriced warm beer the attraction?

I think the real question is this:

Why would you go to a Dream Theater gig?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I think the real question is this:

Why would you go to a Dream Theater gig?

Inferior genetics?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Inferior genetics?

It's certainly possible.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Glenn Fricker has become the asshole, sound engineering version of Rob Chapman.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
Glenn Fricker has become the asshole, sound engineering version of Rob Chapman.

I mean, yeah. Save the dreads they're pretty much the same, just Fricker is louder, and his face looks marginally more like slightly melted genitals.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I mean, yeah. Save the dreads they're pretty much the same, just Fricker is louder, and his face looks marginally more like slightly melted genitals.

I am pretty sure that what he does right now on his YouTube channel is just a persona he created. I dont think he's that obnoxious IRL.

I am pretty sure that if he dropped the asshole persona and started doing generic yet helpful reviews and tutorials he's lose half+ of his subscribers cos he depends on the haters he generates and he depends on the people loving him due to the obnoxious asshole persona(much like PewDiePie, except PewDiePie is just obnoxious). You know, no such thing as bad publicity.

He's essentially become a troll.
Quote by Guitar0player
I am pretty sure that what he does right now on his YouTube channel is just a persona he created.

Of course it is.
Anybody with any sort of real popularity on YouTube is, for the most part, just acting.
Nobody is going to watch a person acting normally because it would be way too boring.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Pretending to be a loud twat is a symptom of normally being a slightly lower-key twat. Just look at Jeremy Clarkson.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Pretending to be a loud twat is a symptom of normally being a slightly lower-key twat. Just look at Jeremy Clarkson.

Yeah, except Jeremy Clarkson is a British twat which makes him a funny twat. Not only that but he is a twat with a sense of originality.
Quote by Guitar0player
I nearly peed myself laughing.

Wonder if that's Theogonia's fetish...

I don't like pee. Or British comedy.
Quote by theogonia777
I don't like pee. Or British comedy.

If you say so.
Quote by dementiacaptain
^i feel that. Even after I got my Bugera, I was much happier with my tone coming my valvestate, and I definitely was more confident in how my guitar sounded, that it cut through, that I could be hear over the mess. It made my performance better because I wasn't always battling my gear and getting frustrated.

Agreed, If I'm playing an amp that I don't like with an uncomfortable guitar that has sloppy action, then I'm not too happy which results in complete demotivation. Now I'm having a difficult time because the effort level has dropped off a cliff without totally realizing it. There's always an exception tho like something in the way but that sort of branches off into another direction.

Overall it's a pretty well balanced argument he's just saying really learn how to play your instrument and make that the priority over expensive gear. Try to get something decent and if you get the money later then go for it.

Most of the time I hear these types of arguments like "tone is in the fingers" it seems more one sided. I'm assuming this translates into just learn how to play, but then you look and they have Bogner or Freidman so that's confusing without some elaboration.
Seemed like a decent enough guy to me, trying to warn noobs away from blowing their wads on too expensive gear. What's wrong with that?
The whole "Don't stress about not having the greatest gear" point is important and totally valid, but I feel like a lot of people want to use this to justify touting their Epi LP Special II with EMGs over a '57 NOS reissue, or their Valvetronix on AC30 mode over a real AC30, and discouraging people from buying nicer gear because their crappy gear is "Just as good for what you need it for!"

"Don't stress about not having great gear" is valid and important, but "Don't upgrade your gear if you want to and are able to just because it's not a necessity" is a logical extreme that, knowing the internet, I can see the leap to being made in a heartbeat.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
It's a conspiracy. He wants you to stop buying nice things. When the demand goes down, so will the prices. That way he and his friends can buy expensive stuff cheap.
I just hate that guy. I hate his face and the way the words come out of his mouth. I hate the words that do come out of his mouth and the twisted shapes his mouth makes when he's forming those words. I hate the way all of the words join into a grotesque symphony of awfulness that he spews at the camera. I hate that he uses his camera to spew words all over the lens like semen from a rapist onto a victim. I hate that I've clicked multiple of his videos and every time I've felt violated and felt the need to sit on a professional's desk and point out the locations that he violated me onto a miniature telly tubby the professional keeps in his desk for that very purpose. And most of all, I hate that I rarely disagree with him, so his vile, putrid words go unchecked and spread throughout the music industry like a cancer through a lymphatic system.

I just hate him.
whywehate
Fricker's humor is the very definition of tryhard. It's tryhard to the point of cringe.
Check out my band Disturbed
this guy needs to shout less
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
We gig with the gear we have, not the gear we wish we had. There are practical limitations tho. If I can't find my tone in the room I have a hard time relaxing and letting the music happen. I can safely say I have played through my last Spider or MG.

If some guitarhead gear snob doesn't like my 15w tube combo amp he can hose off.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
he can hose off.

are you like 70
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
are you like 70

Are you like 5? Chances are pretty good that my guess is closer than yours.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 6, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
Are you like 5? Chances are pretty good that my guess is closer than yours.

No, his guess is definitely closer... unless you're older than 90.
Quote by TobusRex
Seemed like a decent enough guy to me, trying to warn noobs away from blowing their wads on too expensive gear. What's wrong with that?

Fricker constantly challenges forum bandwagon mentalities and has the experience and chops to back it up. So he’s not a popular man on gear forums like this one.

He should do a video about why playing crazy loud in dive bars ruins your sound and why the opening act going onstage after 11pm kills ticket sales. That would be the metal guitar forum equivalent of Kim Kardashian’s ass pics.
Too many people today confuse being a contrary ass for questioning the status quo.

This guy is simply an attention-whoring assclown.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by whywefight at #33584329
I just hate that guy. I hate his face and the way the words come out of his mouth. I hate the words that do come out of his mouth and the twisted shapes his mouth makes when he's forming those words. I hate the way all of the words join into a grotesque symphony of awfulness that he spews at the camera. I hate that he uses his camera to spew words all over the lens like semen from a rapist onto a victim. I hate that I've clicked multiple of his videos and every time I've felt violated and felt the need to sit on a professional's desk and point out the locations that he violated me onto a miniature telly tubby the professional keeps in his desk for that very purpose. And most of all, I hate that I rarely disagree with him, so his vile, putrid words go unchecked and spread throughout the music industry like a cancer through a lymphatic system.

I just hate him.

I knew before watching it I wasn't gonna like him.
I wonder, is the Bass player situation in that area as bad as he claims it to be?
Quote by whywefight at #33584329

I just hate him.

lmao easy there AM
Page 1 of 2