Page 1 of 2
Can somebody please explain to me why people are still into Star Wars?

Personally, I'm not really a huge fan of the original trilogy, but I can certainly understand why people like it.

I just don't understand why people are still way into it beyond that.

Is it because they can't admit that their favorite movie franchise sucks now?

Is it because they think all the merchandise they continue to buy will someday be worth a fortune, even though they'll most certainly be dead at that point?

I seriously just don't get it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Why did people watch Star Trek Deep Space Nine when it sucked giant donkey balls? Why do people buy Rolexes when any $9 watch at WalMart offers superior performance?

Might as well ask why the sky is blue. People are weird, quirky animals of varied tastes.

Btw...I've loved Star Wars since 1977 and so have a ton of other fans.
1) Star Trek DS9 is tied for best series with TNG

2) Same reason people like anything I guess idk
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Because the new movie looks really promising.

Plus we still really enjoy watching the old ones, and new generations of kids are still discovering Star Wars, and falling in love with it.
Quote by eGraham
1) Star Trek DS9 is tied for best series with TNG

bro

OT: Star Wars has a very fleshed out and creative universe that provides inspiration for many forms of art beyond just movies.
Check out my band Disturbed
What's the deal with people liking thing, am I right
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I feel the same way about Kanye West, only that even his original trilogy sucked.
But we don't have to understand everything, let Kanye groupies be groupies and I'll still be star wars groupie
Quote by ErikLensherr
What's the deal with people liking thing, am I right

Nice cliched, cop-out answer, am I right?
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease

Is it cuz they don't realize thing sucks, I'm seriously asking.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I dunno why do people like Shakespeare I don't like him or teachers that mention him
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Are you into eating?

Most of the food sold in the world is manky now.

Damn, that's actually ****ing scathing.

Iunno, OP. It's like 'why do people still like terrible modern metalcore when it's been going to shit for nearly a decade?'

The answer is that some people are just into that and the why is gooey and vague and probably not really worth all this wordspace.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I think it's just cause there's this HUGE level of cultural entrenchment to it, like evert 10th pop culture reference is a Star Wars one, less critically-minded (read: still capable of enjoying life and having sex) nerds enjoy it for the classic Lucas 'and they all lived happily ever after' style of storytelling where everyone ironically loves/hates the Ewoks and the characters are really bold, bright and loveable.

As opposed to the modern style of science fiction, where everything's hyper-realistic and gritty and the most memorable character in science fiction of the last 5 years is a D-list Marvel character that's literally a fvcking tree.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
To use Inside Out's structuring of the mind, Star Wars was such a defining part of my youth that it's a whole island of personality to itself, and remains so to this day.
Quote by Sleaze Disease at #33584052

The kind of question you're asking is cliche and doesn't require much more thought than that of the answer that was given to you. I'm sure you know the answer to something so simple- or maybe you're genuinely bewildered as to why people like things that you don't that you thought it would be a worthwhile discussion.
Free Ali
Most other scifi sucks. But I am biased cause I ha e loved star wars since I was a baby.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by slipknot5678
star wars is not science fiction how many times do we need to go over this? lol

What are you smoking, and where can I get some?
Quote by slipknot5678 at #33584179

I don't recall anyone going over this, but if the argument is that it's a space opera, I think space opera would be considered a type of science-fiction piece.
Free Ali
I have hated Star Wars since I was little, surely that counts for something
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by slipknot5678

First time I have heard about this.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by chrismendiola
The kind of question you're asking is cliche and doesn't require much more thought than that of the answer that was given to you. I'm sure you know the answer to something so simple- or maybe you're genuinely bewildered as to why people like things that you don't that you thought it would be a worthwhile discussion.

It could be a worthwhile discussion, and some people have given genuine answers.

But if people aren't even going to try and use their brains to come up with non-obvious responses, then that's on them, not me.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
I don't know what being into them means to you but I'm gonna watch the new movie when it comes out because I loved the old ones when I was a kid. I'm not following any news or media about it but one day I'm probably gonna find out it's out and I'm gonna watch it because I do what I want.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Sleaze Disease at #33584186
It could be a worthwhile discussion, and some people have given genuine answers.

But if people aren't even going to try and use their brains to come up with non-obvious responses, then that's on them, not me.

No, it couldn't, because the topic is based on the premise of an opinion presented as an objective fact. You're getting "obvious" answers because your topic is asinine.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola at #33584182
I don't recall anyone going over this, but if the argument is that it's a space opera, I think space opera would be considered a type of science-fiction piece.

basically everything in the film has nothing to do with science. they use the force (magic) and fight the equivalent to 'magical beasts' and all that. the setting is in space but it's still fantasy.

mostly pointing it out so dreadnought doesn't have to.
Quote by StewieSwan
Star Wars has a very fleshed out and creative universe that provides inspiration for many forms of art beyond just movies.

Totally this.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Quote by slipknot5678
basically everything in the film has nothing to do with science. they use the force (magic) and fight the equivalent to 'magical beasts' and all that. the setting is in space but it's still fantasy.

You mean other than the advanced methods of interstellar travel and high tech weaponry? Yes, it's a fantasy story, but it's built in a pure sci-fi world. Don't be an idiot.
Quote by slipknot5678 at #33584200

Many thanks. Star Wars is a plight blight to all speculative fiction, sci-fi especially. We must remove the scourge
Quote by BelowTheSun at #33584208
You mean other than the advanced methods of interstellar travel and high tech weaponry? Yes, it's a fantasy story, but it's built in a pure sci-fi world. Don't be an idiot.

they use hypothetically 'real world' stuff in traditional fantasy too.
Irrelevant. Star Wars meets every requirement for it to be science fiction. Just because it also meets a whole lot of requirements to be fantasy as well doesn't mean it's suddenly not science fiction. Things can be more than one thing at the same time!.
Quote by Dreadnought
Star Wars is a plight to all speculative fiction

blight
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by BelowTheSun at #33584214
Irrelevant. Star Wars meets every requirement for it to be science fiction. Just because it also meets a whole lot of requirements to be fantasy as well doesn't mean it's suddenly not science fiction. Things can be more than one thing at the same time!.

sure. I mean it doesn't matter really.

but it's like saying that because fantasy stories have swords and castles and that they are set in places based on earth that they are mostly realistic fiction. star wars is a completely imagined universe more in the category of narnia or lord of the rings. lucas himself has said that it's meant to be fantasy like a modern myth (I know just 'cause he says it's something doesn't mean that's what it is). star wars never even attempts to approach speculative fiction or any sci-fi elements, other than 'woah the falcon travelled at light speed' which really isn't a major theme and even then the intent isn't to go that direction. it goes way fast 'cause it can, not because they are speculating on the future or something (and the story is set a long time ago in a galaxy far away lol).

also let's be real they talk to ghosts in star wars lol
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Sep 6, 2015,
Quote by BelowTheSun at #33584214

Yeah you're right, it's both terrible AND not science fiction!
Still find it weird that people criticise Jar Jar Binks for being worthless and only being in the films to sell toys to kids. The Ewoks were the same but they normally let that fly.
****ing R2-D2 is obviously there to sell toys and shit but no one cares about that.

And the new film already has that head on a ****ing ball thing for sale.

Oh yeah and the story isn't even that good/all that shite
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Page 1 of 2