Hello.

I'm trying to get the sound you hear at 20:30 of this video (the link should take directly to the right time) with my setup, which is explained just below.

I'm a beginner. I've played classical repertory on a classical guitar until a few months ago, and in the last few years I've played some acoustic guitar. I'm really new to the world of amplification.

Anyway, this is my setup:

• Guitar: Fender Stratocaster Highway One USA
  • Amp: Marshall MG101CFX

I can achieve something similar by using bridge and middle pickups, using the OD2 channel of the amplifier and setting the gain to the maximum, very low bass and high middle and treble, with just a touch of reverb. But it's not quite the same sound.
You're not likely to get particularly close with that gear. The video sounds like a high output humbucker into a modern-voiced high gain amp like a 5150 or a Mesa, with a little bit of echo for ambience.

The Marshall you have is not known for versatility, and the pickups in a stock strat are far from what's being used in that video as well. It's just not likely that you'll nail that tone with what you have. If it's close, you've probably done a decent job already. The gap in gear is going to keep you from getting really close.

For what it's worth, "gain all the way up" is a pitfall that a lot of new players fall into, for a variety of reasons. It's almost never a good idea. Try backing off on the distortion.
Sure, that neo-classical type stuff seems to be within reach with a POD or an Axe-Fx into headphones or monitors. Out of an actual amp, it's harder, and as usual depends on what "low volume" means in your particular case.
pretty much what colin said EDIT: jus to clarify, that's Roc8995, he used to have his name in his sig I think . maybe try the bridge pickup on its own (or the middle pickup on its own if the bridge alone is too bright) to get a slightly more focussed and slightly higher output sound.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks to everyone! I was already thinking of buying an hambucker guitar, what would you suggest me? (few hundres euros/dollars maximum, on the low end).

Quote by Dave_Mc
maybe try the bridge pickup on its own (or the middle pickup on its own if the bridge alone is too bright) to get a slightly more focussed and slightly higher output sound.

I'll try, but single coil is usually too noisy for my taste.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 7, 2015,
Quote by nr5

I'll try, but single coil is usually too noisy for my taste.

Yeah that's a good point. It's pretty much a compromise however you look at it. As you said, if you know the exact tone you want comes from a different style of guitar/pickup, the handiest thing might be just to buy that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?