Hello !

I used to play guitar during 1994-1998, with a Epiphone "Les Paul", it was mostly punk rock and hardcore...then quit guitar during military service.

Then I got back playing guitar in 2005 with a Ibanez RG 121 "Prestige" for a few months but then had to quit because of serious illness.

Now I'm composing different styles of music (in Reason) and wanted to get a guitar for home-studio, to record heavy riffs and melodies...I will also learn to play some tabs.

The guitar will be switched on a audio card interface and use different amp modeling softwares. I'm also thinking of buying the Kemper Amp later on.

Music style would be Metal/Fusion

Budget : 300$ to 700$

Favorite Bands : TOOL, Suicidal Tendencies, Excel, Metallica, AC/DC, Megadeth, Pantera, Faith No More, Dream Theatre, Primus, Alice In Chains, Helmet, Life Of Agony, Mordred, Quicksand, Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine, Bad Religion, NOFX,...

Preferences :
- Shape : Les Paul, Ibanez RG
- Frets : 22 or 24
- Strings : 6
- Hardtail (fixed)

Pickups : passives, versatile pickups for clean and metal...Seymour Duncan or EMG ?
I've been watching some videos and comparison of SD and EMG pickups.
I really enjoyed the sound of these :
- SH-5 Custom
- SH-6 Distortion

EMG 81/85 are pretty good sounding, especially for metal...but what about in the clean sound ? Are they versatile ?

New or Used : New

Style of playing : not into solo...I'm more of a "rhythm" type of player

I've searched some guitars at the shop, reviews and videos...here is my list :

- Ibanez RG421(400$) looks nice for the budget, but will need to change pickups.

- LTD H-401 (670$) is a limited edition, built only for France with Seymour Duncans SH-4/SH-1...sounds like a good deal !

- LTD H-351 STBLK (670$) with EMG 81/85

I also liked the Epiphone "Les Paul" Prophecy LP Custom Plus EX (625$) with EMG 81/85...but i would prefer a guitar with thin body and not to heavy.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions !
Last edited by Suicidal-J at Sep 7, 2015,
you can't go wrong with both choices.

Have you thought of going used? If so, check out the Jackson Soloist line if you are. Really light in weight as well due to their Alder bodies.
Great guitars for metal.

I just got an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Emg's, great guitars. A little on the heavy side due to the mahogany, but great sustain and playability. And I've heard nothing but great things from the prophecy line.

Also, if you go the EMG route, I'd say do the 18 volt mod. Has a more organic sound, imo.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Sep 6, 2015,
Thanks for the reponse !

I did search for used guitars and found some interesting models...problem was that it was either too far from where i live or it's out of my budget.

What i like about the Epiphone Prophecy Custom Plus EX : EMG pickups, hard shell case, stylish colors, thin neck (satin finish)...problem would be the weight, since i like playing guitar standing up.

For almost the same price The LTD H-401 is also intersting, with Seymour Duncans SH-1/SH-4, thin body.

another alternative : The Ibanez RG421 and replace the pickups...that way i get to choose the ones i want

I've checked the Jackson guitars : JS32TQ Dinky Arch Top looks like a good affordable model, the SLATTXMGQ3-6 (from the soloist line) with tune-o-matic bridge seems great with EMG.

Now I need to compare the sound of the EMG and Seymour Duncan...hard to choose, they all sound great !
Hey!

To be fair, I've got an H401 and it's superb, can't go wrong with EMG's for metal, although I'd try messing about with the EQ as you don't want to sound like every generic metal band out there..

However, to chuck a different option into the mix.. I've found nothing better for metal than an EVH Wolfgang.. cost me just over £400 and it's perfect, harmonics are fantastic on it as pick ups are made by them too..

But.. the best advice anyone can give you is look online for a shop nearby that stocks whatever guitar you're interested in and try it out.. there's only so much looking at stats on paper will tell you, you need to feel it and see how it is in person, then.. you fall in love with it! Happy buying, remember to have fun!
Check out Fernsndes. Good guitars, and they cater to the guitarist in sonically aggressive genres. I first became aware of them because of Dave Navarro and Reeves Gabrels.

However, I eventually found out Milke & Dean of Suicidal Tendencies are longtime fans of Fernandes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIkt_exnLow&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnqsRkY71SE&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkgHF0IiiNU&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Check out Fernsndes. Good guitars, and they cater to the guitarist in sonically aggressive genres. I first became aware of them because of Dave Navarro and Reeves Gabrels.

However, I eventually found out Milke & Dean of Suicidal Tendencies are longtime fans of Fernandes

Yeah i heard about Fernandes, especially when i knew Mike Clark was using them

Unfortunatly, these guitars are hard to find in France
I own an Epiphone Prophecy. A Futura EX. It's served me quite well, but over the 7 years I've owned it, little things like the switch and the output jack have needed to be replaced. They're very simple things to replace though and with the amount of abuse I gave the guitar, I'm not surprised that they needed to be changed.

The Prophecy guitars have very thin necks too. They're comparable to the Ibanez Wizard in thickness, but slightly more rounded. The satin finish on the neck makes a big difference in feel as well.

I've also 18v modded the EMG's which is something I strongly recommend for any guitar that has them. Makes the pickups sound so much less compressed. The mod itself is also extremely simple to do, and it doesn't require any permanent modification to the guitar at all. So I'd look into that.

The Jacksons are great guitars and the X Series are a great value considering their specs and their price. Avoid the JS guitars though. They look nice, but in reality they're a bit crap.

I personally wouldn't get an LTD that's below a 600 or a 1000 series. The 401's are okay, but they aren't as good as the old 400 series.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Suicidal-J
Yeah i heard about Fernandes, especially when i knew Mike Clark was using them

Unfortunatly, these guitars are hard to find in France

Yeah, but keep your eyes open- worth it if you see one.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Ok, honestly if you are a rythem guy, I wouldnt care abou the Ibby/Jackson thing. I would go with an Epiphone LP standard. Thick meaty sound and light. Still a good price even if you have to upgrade the neck pup.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Thanks for all the suggestions !

I called several guitar shops and will probably test them all this week : Epiphone Prophecy Custom Plus EX and GX, LTD H-401, Ibanez RG421,...that will be the opportunity to compare the pickups as well !
Quote by eoj02
Ok, honestly if you are a rythem guy, I wouldnt care abou the Ibby/Jackson thing. I would go with an Epiphone LP standard. Thick meaty sound and light. Still a good price even if you have to upgrade the neck pup.

That's right, i'm not into playing solos...rythm was always my thing !

The idea of getting back a Epiphone is not a problem, i'm already used to it. What i like about the Custom Plus EX and GX is their thin neck and good pickups (EMG or Gibson USA humbucker)

The thing I really liked about the other guitars is their light weight (compared to a Les Paul)...very important since i like playing standing up.
That H401 would be top of my list. If theres on of them in the UK id be all over it!!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
That H401 would be top of my list. If theres on of them in the UK id be all over it!!

2015 Limited Edition...You can order it from France
Quote by Suicidal-J
2015 Limited Edition...You can order it from France

And there goes part of my car fund..

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I've added another model on my list : SCHECTER Omen Extreme-6

From the reviews and videos i've seen, this guitar sounds pretty good...even with the "Diamond Plus" pickups.

Hope they have this model at the shop, will need to try it out !
I've watched all the "bridge pickups comparison" videos on Mike Stamper's youtube channel.

I will definitely go with the Seymour Duncan pickups !
I'm back !

Had some time to visit a guitar shop today, but couldn't stay long...unfortunatly the LTD H-401 wasn't available (some guy was already testing it)

I checked out some IBANEZ, found a "used" RG721 premium for 590$

Went further to the Shecter, Jackson, LTD section...and fell in Love with the Jackson Dinky Pro DK2MQHT (Chlorine Burst)

ok so it's a bit out of my budget...130$ more than the LTD H-401.

The Jackson looks better in terms of buit quality (made in Mexico), it is also equipped with Seymour Duncans JB/59 Zebra...are they better than the JB/Jazz for old metal music ?

I'm hesitating now with the LTD and Jackson...is it worth paying 130$ more ?
Last edited by Suicidal-J at Sep 12, 2015,
I haven't tried the new MIM Jacksons

Not much in it between the Jazz and '59. If I were given the free choice I might think the Jazz is maybe slightly better for high gain leads, whereas the '59 is more of an all-rounder. But they're both nice, and for heavier stuff you're using the bridge pickup most of the time anyway, so...

I wouldn't buy a guitar you didn't like as much just because of the neck pickup model, in other words. though if you can go back and try the LTDh401 versus that jackson before you make a purchase, that'd be the thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Jackson is the guitar you liked more, so obviously that's the one you should commit to buying.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I'm going back to the shop this week, will have more time to try a few guitars...especially comparing the LTD with the Jackson.

I remember going to the Charvel/Jackson/Ibanez section...and my heart was pounding faster each time i would get nearer the Jackson DK2M Pro, it was Love at first sight !

If you love the guitar, then why haven't you bought it yet?
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you love the guitar, then why haven't you bought it yet?

They only had one guitar at the shop, with the Floyd Rose tremolo...I'm more interested for the hardtail bridge model, which should arrive next week.
Last edited by Suicidal-J at Sep 13, 2015,
ibanez S series?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Both the Seymour Duncan Custom and the Distortion are great choices, but you might consider the Jazz neck pickup (sounds great clean or dirty- clear and open sounding), or the Perpetual Burn for the bridge, which is like a way hotter PAF-type ideal for instrumental rock or fusion.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Your location is France and you haven´t considered a LAG!

You´re either a troll or you haven´t done your research!
Quote by Suicidal-J
\

ok so it's a bit out of my budget...130$ more than the LTD H-401.

The Jackson looks better in terms of buit quality (made in Mexico), it is also equipped with Seymour Duncans JB/59 Zebra...are they better than the JB/Jazz for old metal music ?

I'm hesitating now with the LTD and Jackson...is it worth paying 130$ more ?

Depends if you can stretch the budget. The're both sexy in their own ways. I'd prefer the Jackson's feel and the LTD's looks. Which would you be happier owning in a year?

Quote by kentuckyklira
Your location is France and you haven´t considered a LAG!

You´re either a troll or you haven´t done your research!

They must be nicer in France. I have yet to find one with intermediate specs much less something I'd want to buy for it's price.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Sep 15, 2015,
See, ive owned the older MiJ DK2M and it was bloody gorgeous to play, apart from the floyd (im not a floyd fan at all)

If that new Jackson plays as well as my SLATT 7 (its the new 2015 model) then id probs pick the Jackson. As much as I love my LTD.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I'll probably go for the Jackson DK2M Pro Dinky (hardtail version) in Chlorine Burst

Will be replacing the pickup bridge SH-4 later on...with a SH-6 Distorsion
Last edited by Suicidal-J at Sep 17, 2015,
Why replace the pickup? What amp are you using?
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why replace the pickup? What amp are you using?

I'm not replacing them right away, maybe in a few years... i'll be using the guitar mainly for home-studio with softwares (peavey revalver 4,...), have no room for real amp.

I'm also planning to get the Kemper later, the rack version.

I heard a few samples of the SH-6 (in comparison with SH-4), sounds much better !
Last edited by Suicidal-J at Sep 17, 2015,
The JB sounds great in my MIJ DK2M.

The JB is one of those pickups that can sound awesome in some guitars, but not in others.

It's all too common that people want to buy pickups right away when a new amp is what they really need to get first.
Quote by TheSennaj
I finally found a used Dinky Pro DK2 HT "Crimson Swirl" (2009 MIJ) on sale 615$ with Gator Hardcase

Apparently, this guitar is almost brand new with no single scratch...

My other options from a shop :

- DK2QM HT "Chlorine Burst" (2013) : 806$
- Dk2QM (with Floyd) "Chlorine Burst" (2015) : 863$
Last edited by Suicidal-J at Sep 27, 2015,