So i have a upcoming project but dont have much wiring experience (im ok with jazz bass wiring, etc)
I have a guitar project, It normally a HSH Yamaha, But Instead its HHS(p90), Let me explain
Normal hummy in the bridge
A dual rail style humbucker in the middle (to fix low ouput single coil issues)
And a p90 in the neck
Instead of having a 3 way switch, Could i use something similar to a jazz bass and have 3 volumes + a master tone? It would be exactly like a jazz bass but with a extra pot and pickup,
oh you'd be surprised what you can do with guitar electronics I'll do my best to explain what to do. Traditionally you'd use 250k pots if memory serves me right for the p90s but brightness on higher value pots can be adjusted.

remember though capacitors can be added to filter out a really hot pickup. But adjust the pickup height first and see what happens. That is if the pickups don't balance too good. Here's some help.

so ok
you're wiring 3 volumes like a les paul for starters

pots as we know work this way

bridge/neck wiring

left contact - hot lead - this case your pickups north start
middle contact - to the selector 1/3 (bridge) 3/5 (neck)
right contact - ground to the base of the pot

middle pickup wiring
left contact - hot lead
middle contact - to "zero" on the blade selector 0 = common by the way
right contact - ground

now for the tone
left contact - solder in the capacitor and ground it to the back of the pot
middle contact - solder it to the 0 on the selector , solder another wire to the input jacks hot lead
right contact - nothing

with tone capacitors that are ceramic (orange discs) or metalized polyester dont' worry about heat and don't worry about a specific way in. Capacitors for tone are not polarized.

the input jack . string ground and all is the same in every wiring you'll do. You can use this mental diagram to use pizeo transducer pickups , p90s , lipstick to active humbuckers on a concrete block with the right modifications. (25k pots on actives and all).

so for inspiration I used these to help you out, as custom guitar wiring is just putting stuff together.
les paul wiring - seymour duncan - this also helps ground the electronics proper
telecaster wiring - guitarelectronics.com
2 volume 1 tone wiring also to see how the capacitor works

but yeah .. 2 volume 1 tone with a 3 way blade wiring, you're adding an extra pickup the les paul way of doing the volume to the common of your 3 way blade

got it ... awesome, here's a tiny bit of help if you're unsure about the 1350 pattern on a blade toggle. I don't have the time to do every custom diagram for guitars but I'll definitely be persuaded to design them in photoshop or customize them on my ebay account done right though the way i described you'll do fine.

Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 7, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
oh you'd be surprised what you can do with guitar electronics I'll do my best to explain what to do. Traditionally you'd use 250k pots if memory serves me right for the p90s but brightness on higher value pots can be adjusted.

remember though capacitors can be added to filter out a really hot pickup. But adjust the pickup height first and see what happens. That is if the pickups don't balance too good. Here's some help.

so ok
you're wiring 3 volumes like a les paul for starters

pots as we know work this way

bridge/neck wiring

left contact - hot lead - this case your pickups north start
middle contact - to the selector 1/3 (bridge) 3/5 (neck)
right contact - ground to the base of the pot

middle pickup wiring
left contact - hot lead
middle contact - to "zero" on the blade selector 0 = common by the way
right contact - ground

now for the tone
left contact - solder in the capacitor and ground it to the back of the pot
middle contact - solder it to the 0 on the selector , solder another wire to the input jacks hot lead
right contact - nothing

with tone capacitors that are ceramic (orange discs) or metalized polyester dont' worry about heat and don't worry about a specific way in. Capacitors for tone are not polarized.

the input jack . string ground and all is the same in every wiring you'll do. You can use this mental diagram to use pizeo transducer pickups , p90s , lipstick to active humbuckers on a concrete block with the right modifications. (25k pots on actives and all).

so for inspiration I used these to help you out, as custom guitar wiring is just putting stuff together.
les paul wiring - seymour duncan - this also helps ground the electronics proper
telecaster wiring - guitarelectronics.com
2 volume 1 tone wiring also to see how the capacitor works

but yeah .. 2 volume 1 tone with a 3 way blade wiring, you're adding an extra pickup the les paul way of doing the volume to the common of your 3 way blade

got it ... awesome, here's a tiny bit of help if you're unsure about the 1350 pattern on a blade toggle. I don't have the time to do every custom diagram for guitars but I'll definitely be persuaded to design them in photoshop or customize them on my ebay account done right though the way i described you'll do fine.

Why would you do all that if he wants it to be like a jazz bass instead of using a pickup selector switch?

All he needs to do is wire it like a jazz bass but add another volume pot wired exactly like the other two. (And either remove the switch from the guitar or think of something cool to do with it)

If the guitar doesn't already have 4 pots, you can drill a hole in the guitar and add an extra one assuming that there's enough space in the cavity
Quote by xnameisonx
Why would you do all that if he wants it to be like a jazz bass instead of using a pickup selector switch?

All he needs to do is wire it like a jazz bass but add another volume pot wired exactly like the other two. (And either remove the switch from the guitar or think of something cool to do with it)

If the guitar doesn't already have 4 pots, you can drill a hole in the guitar and add an extra one assuming that there's enough space in the cavity
He can't help it, every guitar tech does the same. They let there imaginations take them away from the original goal because that's just more fun! We're all the same. There are the players and there are the tinkerers. I'm the latter, self confessed!
These go to eleven...
Some guitar techs are more helpful than others, though. Tallwood seems to regurgitate unrelated wiring diagrams and "information" more than most. It might be more endearing if he understood how pots worked.

Yes, it's completely possible, and not a particularly difficult wiring. We can help with diagrams or parts if you need but it's basically copy/paste from a J bass schematic but with one extra pickup tacked on, and pot/cap values for guitar pickups instead of bass. If you're comfortable with a J bass you're probably most of the way there already.

If you want something else, as mentioned above, there are all sorts of fun things you can do. You may find that three volume knobs is a bit unwieldy if you need to turn the overall volume down or off quickly.
right there's no tone knob. I read that too fast. Usually you think 3 pickups you think 3 humbucker les pauls. So i was kind of like damn more people need to find out more about seymour duncans page.

I'd do two volumes and some sort of effect myself. Whether it be active or passive as there is always some form of tone knob one in a million you may find use for besides the boring treble cutting one. Look into concentric tone knobs.

but yeah ... think of doing three volumes like the moderator said. It's not hard. Just even follow the two volume no tone diagram and see how the pots work.

instead of complaining how about messaging me sweetheart (moderator) if I'm not saying something properly correct me. As far as wiring goes honestly it's me sharing it. If people like it they like it. I mean it's pretty boring which chinese import guitar should I get or omg.. NEW PICKUPS ... never tried the guitar but i already got my next weeks allowance early EEEEEE or watching someone butcher another chunk of wood making a les paul or strat rip off as if there isn't enough at pawn shops to walmart not to say some on this forum do a fantastic job but you know who I'm talking about as you've been on this site longer than I have. So everything has a place and I like to give ideas. Why I continue to come back to here is I may help a person or two especially the questions I can answer no one else can at the time. A better service means more for you to moderate.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Sep 11, 2015,
No, I think criticism of your posts can be public. It's relevant here. I've corrected you a few times in posts, again because keeping that information hidden in PMs might keep it from people reading the threads. I'd rather they see an alternate opinion than assume you knew what you're talking about. I'm a user too, I can disagree with posts and users when it's relevant.

You post a lot of helpful stuff but you post a lot of extra junk with it, some of which is confused or false. That's not the end of the world, but since you post so often in wiring help threads it might be unhelpful or confusing because the people asking don't have enough knowledge to filter your posts. It would be awesome if you were a bit more careful about what you post.