I came across a '87/88 strat with Fender hard case for asking price of $500. The ad does not list the model but gives the serial number which varifies the year it was made. Headstock does not say Squire

What do you know about the quality of MIJ strats in terms of good years/bad years, etc.?

Background: When my motorcycle sells I am going to buy an axe fx II rig and then I want 2 guitars. The Axe rig eats my budget for guitars so I plan on getting a epi LP custom and one other guitar (to have a trem) and so i am looking for a 2nd guitar under $500 like these strats. I imagine the axe fx will make nearly any guitar sound pretty decent?
Attachments:
Strat I (342x153).jpg
Last edited by wazntme at Sep 7, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
need way more info pix would help. which style strat is it?

OK added pics - hopefully the links work.
Cool, thats one of the models with the Floyd. Are there any more pics, did the seller post any more info? Generally speaking, the Japanese strats are solid. I have a foto flame Strat that rivals most any American Strat I've played in that style.

There is a range of strats that came out of Japan, some of them very traditional and some very contemporary, with a guitar every stop along the way. Judging just from the Floyd I'd think that was leaning more on the contemporary side, which could possibly indicate a thinner, wider neck than say, my guitar.

I'm definitely not an expert and there are lots of people here who know much more about them, but try googling a bit. There is a fair amount of info out on the web about the various model differences and when things were introduced.

As far as the price, that is not out of the ordinary for what I've seen some of these guitars go for, but they definitely go cheaper, especially depending on the model (I got mine for $350, for example).

Look more into it for sure though, they are much higher quality from my experience than the Mexican strats, and often times compete and win against American made axes.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
tough to tell much from pic. not sure if floyd or system 1 trem (makes a difference). either way the strats with locking trems tend to not be valued as much as the ones with the standard fender style trems. if that is a floyd then it most likely was added on later and isn't original to the guitar. $500 seems a bit high for that $400 seems better.
I got an 88 MIJ strat that I absolutely love. I picked it up at a pawn shop for $300 (and had to resolder the switch). It is fantastic to play, but I gotta say, mine might need a refret not too far in the future. So, that might be another cost to think of. The Schaller floyd is great.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Cool, thats one of the models with the Floyd. Are there any more pics, did the seller post any more info? Generally speaking, the Japanese strats are solid. I have a foto flame Strat that rivals most any American Strat I've played in that style.

There is a range of strats that came out of Japan, some of them very traditional and some very contemporary, with a guitar every stop along the way. Judging just from the Floyd I'd think that was leaning more on the contemporary side, which could possibly indicate a thinner, wider neck than say, my guitar.

I'm definitely not an expert and there are lots of people here who know much more about them, but try googling a bit. There is a fair amount of info out on the web about the various model differences and when things were introduced.

As far as the price, that is not out of the ordinary for what I've seen some of these guitars go for, but they definitely go cheaper, especially depending on the model (I got mine for $350, for example).

Look more into it for sure though, they are much higher quality from my experience than the Mexican strats, and often times compete and win against American made axes.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is no other info about the guitar. There are a few more pics but when I save them they are way to small to show anything. Thanks again.
Quote by monwobobbo
tough to tell much from pic. not sure if floyd or system 1 trem (makes a difference). either way the strats with locking trems tend to not be valued as much as the ones with the standard fender style trems. if that is a floyd then it most likely was added on later and isn't original to the guitar. $500 seems a bit high for that $400 seems better.

OK Thanks for the reply.
Quote by tfizzle20
I got an 88 MIJ strat that I absolutely love. I picked it up at a pawn shop for $300 (and had to resolder the switch). It is fantastic to play, but I gotta say, mine might need a refret not too far in the future. So, that might be another cost to think of. The Schaller floyd is great.

thanks if I pursue that guitar that is a good advice to consider those frets and check them out. Unless I can squeeze 2 guitars in my budget, i want my one guitar to not have a locking nut - but if i can afford the epi LP custom too then that wont be an issue
Quote by Ippon
Not sure if the bridges are similar but here's my '87 MIJ Fender Strat:

yeah those bridges are definately similar. Stay in tune ok?
It looks to be one of the contemporary strats. I have an 85' that looks identical to the one in that pic. Does it have the Kahler Spyder trem? I picked mine up for $550 CAD a few years back, and couldn't been happier. It's a great, fast playing strat. I've seen them go for around $1000 CAD on the bay.

I did think the stock pups were a little muddy, so I swapped them out for the Lace rainbow pack.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H