so far me and my friend ,who successfully solder his own cables. finished four patch cables all with the same problem. They all have significant volume loss when plugged into my board. Im using Mogami cable 2524 with GLS (Audio 1/4" Right Angle Plugs TS Mono Heavy Duty). the problem isn't feedback or buzz but just volume loss. what could be the problem, did i get bad plugs? the ground looks isolated one them also.
Quote by brenton393
so far me and my friend ,who successfully solder his own cables. finished four patch cables all with the same problem. They all have significant volume loss when plugged into my board. Im using Mogami cable 2524 with GLS (Audio 1/4" Right Angle Plugs TS Mono Heavy Duty). the problem isn't feedback or buzz but just volume loss. what could be the problem, did i get bad plugs? the ground looks isolated one them also.

"Successful solder" could still mean the wrong parts are connected to the wrong parts. I'm more familiar with Neutrik ends, but without some kind of photo, there's no way to trouble shoot it.
Interesting.

The central signal carrier should be soldered to the soldering tab that is uppermost... that goes to the plug tip.

The outer shield wire should be soldered to the soldering tab that is lowermost... that goes to the plug sleeve.

It is possible that you have bad plugs. We are in Europe and use lead free solder so it is important that plating on the solder tabs is good. Lead free does not flow as well as leaded solder.

We tried a batch of GLS plugs and had to be refunded for 50% of them as they had severe plating issues on the tab for the tip... the signal carrier. They would not solder and were dark grey base metal, very rough. We decided not to bother with any more of them due to the very significant quality issues that we found on a GLS batch and also a German branding of the same (we believe Asian made) plugs.

When they are good, they are easy to solder and a great plug, however 50% of the ones we tried turned out to be junk... which is a shame as they are way lower cost than Switchcraft... but then... pay peanuts... often get monkeys.

Perhaps your plugs seemed to solder OK with lead solder but they are possibly bad solders, and that could be the reason.

Anyway that is our experience with numbers over 100 units.
The Mogami 2524 cable has a black carbon shield around the insulated center conductor.
That carbon shield needs to be peeled back a little bit, maybe like 1 -2 mm or so.

SOMETHING LIKE THIS. THIS IS GOOD.

NOT LIKE THIS. THIS IS BAD