Page 1 of 3
Hi

I was looking at blackstar ht amps on amazon and noted that ht5c is more expensive than the ht5r although it lacks the reverb and all other features are almoat the same ... any clue why ?

Also i read a lot negative feedback about blackstar tube amps especially the ht series ... what are the alternatives in same price range ?
Ones a combo and the others a head?

Whats your budget? £ or $ or Euro? Or something else?

As a original Blackstar HT5 head owner Its nice but I wouldn't want one for metal. Maybe rock but not anything metal or medium/high gain stuff.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by mockbel
Also i read a lot negative feedback about blackstar tube amps especially the ht series ... what are the alternatives in same price range ?

For another $50–$100 you can get a Peavey ValveKing. There’s not much else at the same price as Blackstar—that’s part of Blackstar’s appeal. Of course you can buy used and do well for $500.
Being in Egypt, my choices are very limited... VOX ac30 which is really expensive and multiple models of blackstar ht.. I can look for Marshall as I believe they have a dealer in Egypt but is blackstar ht really that bad ???
Quote by Carrot
Ones a combo and the others a head?

Whats your budget? £ or $ or Euro? Or something else?

Around $700 ... Any good suggestions for tube amp in this range ?
Tried seeing if Thomann.de will order to Egypt? Could get a very nice Jet City amp off there.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by mockbel
Around $700 ... Any good suggestions for tube amp in this range ?

That budget would let you get a Blackstar HT20 or 40. Both of those amps sound much better than the HT5, and big enough to gig with if you end up in a band. And the Jet City amps are great if you can get one shipped to Egypt. You might be able to get a Marshall DSL40C for that price.

Quote by mockbel
…but is blackstar ht really that bad ???

The HT5 isn’t a bad amp, but it isn’t a great one, either. The forum bandwagon crowd on UG just love to mindlessly hammer Blackstar for being misleading in their marketing, as if Blackstar is the only guitar gear company that puts complex circuits into tube amps. But if you go back and read posts from 2009/2010 the UG bandwagon crowd couldn’t shut up about how great an HT5 was if you just boosted it with a Bad Monkey.
Eerm, strawman argument much?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Knowing what genres you play, and the gear you currently have, will help a lot. Thomann ships to a lot of places, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get something from them. Some of the bigger Blackstar amps are nice, but most mini amps (1-5 watts) are pretty bad regardless of brand. Notable exceptions would be things like the Orange Terror series, which should fall in your price range.

Quote by jpnyc
The forum bandwagon crowd on UG just love to mindlessly hammer Blackstar for being misleading in their marketing, as if Blackstar is the only guitar gear company that puts complex circuits into tube amps.

Mindlessly? I disagree with that. I think you're mindlessly insulting a popular opinion because it makes you feel smarter. See how that works? Accusing someone else of not thinking about their position is lazy, and in this case probably wrong. For instance, your strawman: "complex circuits" were never the issue. It was "all tube." You can argue about that if you like, but it's very different from the imaginary argument you say it was.

But if you go back and read posts from 2009/2010 the UG bandwagon crowd couldn’t shut up about how great an HT5 was if you just boosted it with a Bad Monkey.

Not the same people, in most cases, and there weren't nearly as many good small amps available at the time. It seems like you're more eager to be edgy than to actually have a discussion about the gear.
If you go for Blackstar HT I'd go for atleast the 20w model. Blackstar HT are not bad, just overpriced for what they are (plus being a hybrid amp controversy) but if your choices are seriously limited that means squat. Look for used Peavey Valvekings too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by jpnyc
That budget would let you get a Blackstar HT20 or 40. Both of those amps sound much better than the HT5, and big enough to gig with if you end up in a band.

Do you mean the HT Studio series ?
Quote by Roc8995
Knowing what genres you play, and the gear you currently have, will help a lot. Thomann ships to a lot of places, I wouldn't be surprised if you can get something from them. Some of the bigger Blackstar amps are nice, but most mini amps (1-5 watts) are pretty bad regardless of brand. Notable exceptions would be things like the Orange Terror series, which should fall in your price range.

I have an Ibanez RG320 standard guitar (basswood body, rosewood fretboard and INF pickups) plugged to BOSS GT8 effects processor. Currently I have a Marshall VS30R amp which is a solid state amp. My first direction was replacing the guitar with some mahogany body guitar with more decent pickups. I was about to get the LTD EC1000S but I received a lot of recommendations from UG folks that I will have very minor sound improvement if I keep this amp and my first step should be getting a more decent tube amp... and it started then... I am a bedroom player so I can't put myself in a specific genre... mainly I play 90's metallica and megadeth stuff.. I need some clean sounds sometimes...

Again the issue is the limited options to try in Egypt... If I will go with a brand other than Blackstar, most probably I will order an amp without trying it.. maybe I can just listen to it on youtube before deciding to purchase it...
Folks... I googled for reviews on Blackstar HT-5R and the reviews were very positive.. this one is UG itself:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/blackstar/ht-5r/index.html

I am really confused now... This amp is available at next door dealer for a reasonable price which is expected to increase soon due to exchange rate change (Egyptian pound is dramatically going down).. would that be a good win comparing to my current valvestate marshall ???
Most consumer reviews are done by someone still in the honeymoon stage of ownership. That's why the overall review numbers are generally skewed to the high side here.

As an example, look at the reviews here of the amp you currently own. Some folks think they are awesome, but you know different, right?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/valvestate_vs30r/index.html

The Blackstar amps aren't inherently bad amps, they just aren't anything special and that, coupled with the indisputable fact that they use shady advertising practices, is enough to put most folks that care enough to do the research off of them.

It's not that they are crap, it's that you could probably do better.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by mockbel
Folks... I googled for reviews on Blackstar HT-5R and the reviews were very positive.. this one is UG itself:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/blackstar/ht-5r/index.html

I am really confused now... This amp is available at next door dealer for a reasonable price which is expected to increase soon due to exchange rate change (Egyptian pound is dramatically going down).. would that be a good win comparing to my current valvestate marshall ???

Most really positive reviews of the HT series is by newer players and people who have owned only really bad amps previously. I personally did not like the HT series amps I have played. It wasn't that they were extremely bad amps, but they were not that good either.

The main issue with the HT series is Blackstar has touted them as all tube and they are not. and their price is rather high for what they are in many countries.

Your best bet is to go to the store near you and you should try all the amps they have in your price range. Then you decide if a certain amp is good for what you need by your personal experience.

Another amp you may want to look for if you you can find one is the peavey vypyr tube60. this is a hybrid modeling amp and it sounds very good and has lots of different amp models and FX.

EDIT: NINJA'd by Arby
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 8, 2015,
Quote by Roc8995

Mindlessly? I disagree with that. I think you're mindlessly insulting a popular opinion because it makes you feel smarter. See how that works? Accusing someone else of not thinking about their position is lazy, and in this case probably wrong. For instance, your strawman: "complex circuits" were never the issue. It was "all tube." You can argue about that if you like, but it's very different from the imaginary argument you say it was.

Not the same people, in most cases, and there weren't nearly as many good small amps available at the time. It seems like you're more eager to be edgy than to actually have a discussion about the gear.

+1

I've certainly never been a cheerleader for the HT Series, because I've never tried it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The amount of positive review and feedbacks regarding Blackstar especially the HT5 model versus what I see here is really confusing me !!!!!!! Really this amp was awarded in NAMM 2015??
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

I've certainly never been a cheerleader for the HT Series, because I've never tried it.

The only one I've really spent a lot of time with is the one I own(HT-60 soloist).

In relation to what I paid, and the other amps around that price point(the ones mainly in contention were a DSL40 and AC-15), it sounded the way I wanted it to.

After a year or so, I'm certainly of the opinion that maybe it could have done with a 'better' speaker, and if I was playing at higher volumes regularly, I'd probably want a 2x12 for a bit more headroom.

Oddly enough, a quick look through google(was trying to confirm what speaker is actually in it), the things are going for like £100-150 more than I paid for mine.

I think at current prices, I might well have gone for the AC-15 and an OD pedal.
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Sep 9, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal

I think at current prices, I might well have gone for the AC-15 and an OD pedal.

AC-15 doesn't have fx loop

I am feeling like I am going towards the HT-5R... I feel like all negative feedback is coming from way more professional players than me who can recognize slight difference in sound more than I do... Also the negative feedback is coming from the big Blackstar lie regarding the "All tube" thing... please also note that I am a bedroom player so the power and volume are my least priority.. also having the Blackstar dealer next door and the offered price is less than price on Amazon (which is absolutely rare considering custom and shipping fees add-on) makes me feel it is an opportunity... unless someone stops me shouting "Don't be crazy... never buy this amp" !!
Have you actually played through it? Since it's your money, your ears and there's a dealer next door, it seems to me that the best way to decide if you actually want it is to go spend some time with it?

Because honestly it sounds like you've already made up your mind and are just looking for validation, and you won't find that here...
Charles Darwin
Hey man, for the amount of money you're gonna plonk for a HT-5R, might as well add a bit more and within your budget and get the Laney Ironheart 30w combo.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/laney-ironheart-all-tube-30w-1x12-guitar-combo

Check and see if you have a dealer in Egypt for laney.

Another way is to get a cheap 1x12 cab and get the ironheart IRT15H and use the effects loop if you're not gigging much.
Quote by Arby911
Because honestly it sounds like you've already made up your mind and are just looking for validation, and you won't find that here...

To a big extent you got me right ... I am looking for the final push !
Quote by mockbel
To a big extent you got me right ... I am looking for the final push !

You don't need it, it's your life, your ears and your money, do with it what you will. Nobody here is as invested in this as you, and how could they be?
Charles Darwin
Quote by sfx
Hey man, for the amount of money you're gonna plonk for a HT-5R, might as well add a bit more and within your budget and get the Laney Ironheart 30w combo.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/laney-ironheart-all-tube-30w-1x12-guitar-combo

Check and see if you have a dealer in Egypt for laney.

Another way is to get a cheap 1x12 cab and get the ironheart IRT15H and use the effects loop if you're not gigging much.

Surprisingly got one and it is close as well !!!! I think this one worth trying...

I found also a dealer for Marshall but first it is far away from me and second the smallest tube amp with FX loop is the DSL40 which would be too big and loud for a bedroom player unless I I switch it to 20watt output all the time.. it is expensive as well !
Quote by mockbel
Surprisingly got one and it is close as well !!!! I think this one worth trying...

I found also a dealer for Marshall but first it is far away from me and second the smallest tube amp with FX loop is the DSL40 which would be too big and loud for a bedroom player unless I I switch it to 20watt output all the time.. it is expensive as well !

Good, the 30w laney combo can be tuned between 1 to 30w with the knob.

The IRT15H can have input of either 1w or 15w.

If you can afford a bit more, get the IRT-Studio, 3 channels, with footswitch.

Still need a cab for the 15 watters but any cheap 1x12 cab will do, unless you're going for the 30w combo.

30w combo you can gig with it and also play in the bedroom.

Good luck, the Laney is a good choice. I have the IRT-STUDIO (bought last week) and I love the reamping/recording feature. It's a LOT of amp for the money.

It's cheap to get in some parts of asia. I paid only USD 348 equivalent for mine. We get it cheaper than UK/US.
Quote by mockbel

That's false, the maximum output wattage only expresses how loud it CAN go, not how loud it must go. It's got a volume knob on it, all you have to do is turn it down.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
That's false, the maximum output wattage only expresses how loud it CAN go, not how loud it must go. It's got a volume knob on it, all you have to do is turn it down.

I mean that it is expensive because it CAN run up to 40 watt which I will never need so I will be using it for low volume all the time. That's why I see it too big for me. It is not about it MUST be running loud. I have a friend who is a bedroom player as well and has a 120watt Marshall
Quote by sfx
Good, the 30w laney combo can be tuned between 1 to 30w with the knob.

The IRT15H can have input of either 1w or 15w.

If you can afford a bit more, get the IRT-Studio, 3 channels, with footswitch.

Still need a cab for the 15 watters but any cheap 1x12 cab will do, unless you're going for the 30w combo.

30w combo you can gig with it and also play in the bedroom.

Good luck, the Laney is a good choice. I have the IRT-STUDIO (bought last week) and I love the reamping/recording feature. It's a LOT of amp for the money.

It's cheap to get in some parts of asia. I paid only USD 348 equivalent for mine. We get it cheaper than UK/US.

What about the Laney BUC series? It is also tube amp with FX Loop and smaller output (15watt)
Quote by mockbel
What about the Laney BUC series? It is also tube amp with FX Loop and smaller output (15watt)

You mean the CUB series.

In that case I am assuming the ideal one would be CUB 12R.

That is more a vintage voice amp and won't go to high gain/metal territory.

Ironheart is newer and can go from low to high gain, more versatile. Multiple channels too.

But I suppose a cub 12R with the fx loop can do what you want as well, if you're sticking to your modelers, since you only need the power amp section.

Way cheaper than getting a marshall just for the effects loop to reach the power section.
Ironheart in action. This is the big head but the combo has the same features. Extremely versatile and yet very cheap for what it offers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOu_8mAREM

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The only one I've really spent a lot of time with is the one I own(HT-60 soloist).

In relation to what I paid, and the other amps around that price point(the ones mainly in contention were a DSL40 and AC-15), it sounded the way I wanted it to.

After a year or so, I'm certainly of the opinion that maybe it could have done with a 'better' speaker, and if I was playing at higher volumes regularly, I'd probably want a 2x12 for a bit more headroom.

Oddly enough, a quick look through google(was trying to confirm what speaker is actually in it), the things are going for like £100-150 more than I paid for mine.

Yeah. I mean, at the current time, there are certainly other options for less money which are arguably better (jet city, for example), but then they might not have the features you want.

As always, you pays your money and takes your choice. But I don't think you can blame people for not liking them because of the advertising, because strongly implying the thing is all-tube when it's not makes it a lot harder to make that choice informed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sfx
You mean the CUB series.

In that case I am assuming the ideal one would be CUB 12R.

That is more a vintage voice amp and won't go to high gain/metal territory.

Ironheart is newer and can go from low to high gain, more versatile. Multiple channels too.

But I suppose a cub 12R with the fx loop can do what you want as well, if you're sticking to your modelers, since you only need the power amp section.

Way cheaper than getting a marshall just for the effects loop to reach the power section.

Laney irt15 head says it is a single channel high gain amp...does that mean any negative effect on the clean tone sound ?
No. It's actually a single channel with a switchable boost - which makes it a two channel amp really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So after some research on what's available in market in Egypt, my choice is now between just these two amps... What do think ?

Blackstar HT5R combo

Laney IRT15 head + Laney 1x12" cabinet
Quote by mockbel
So after some research on what's available in market in Egypt, my choice is now between just these two amps... What do think ?

Blackstar HT5R combo

Laney IRT15 head + Laney 1x12" cabinet

The laney for sure. It will also be more capable of band use or jamming with other people.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The laney for sure. It will also be more capable of band use or jamming with other people.

agree. don't limit yourself just because right now you aren't playing with others. personally i didn't hate the HT-5 but it is a very limited amp. for a plug and play practice amp on the cheap it is fine. once you get past that the lack of real tone controls hurts it and it really can't keep up with drums.
Something i just noted, blackstar ht5r is made in korea while the laney irt15h is made in china ... makes any difference to your recommendations ?
Quote by mockbel
Something i just noted, blackstar ht5r is made in korea while the laney irt15h is made in china ... makes any difference to your recommendations ?

no not really
Quote by mockbel

Not at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don't let the high gain IRT15h advert fool you. That fella is quite versatile.

If you want to go from clean to crunch, just set the amp's gain to the crunch/gain level you want, then dial your guitar's volume down till it's clean and ramp it up for the crunch/gain sound.

If you're using a les paul style guitar, you can use volume for neck to get the clean, and bridge for the crunch with volume all the way up.

If you want more flexibility, use an EQ pedal instead to lower the guitar's output (with the amp at the gain/crunch you like) so you get the clean when the EQ pedal is on, and when switched off, you get the amp's gain/crunch settings dialed in.

Any cheap eq pedal should do, best to get one with true bypass, like a Joyo EQ pedal.

And no, nothing wrong with made-in-china amp, as long as QC is by the brand manufacturer, in this case, Laney.
Page 1 of 3