Hello people!

I was wondering if anyone knows about a method, book or exercises for improving independence of the two hands while both are tapping on the fretboard of the guitar.

Something like the stuff that a chapman stick player would do but translated to the guitar. Commonly but not necessarily, left hand for the lower strigs, and right for the higher. I've been trying to work on polyrythms but I feel kind of lost. Any good sources on that?

Also I've made a few 2 hand tapping exercises for myself (just hitting notes on a major scale going up and down alternating left and right hand tappings) trying to emulate stuff form bands like This town needs guns and other math rock bands, but I'm not feeling much progress. Do you know any methods or exercises that really put the brain to work?

Thank you for any advice you have to share.
You need to go right back to simple patterns and shapes before you do what TTNG are doing (when they do that). You could look at Imogen's Puzzle (part one) as a simple example of something that toys with those things.

To get started with poly/meters/ I wrote this as a simple 3 over 4.

You just need to work on getting comfortable with and feeling both rhythms at once. Practice a lot. Remember that if you learn to play 3 over 2, your muscle memory is only learning that pattern and time. It takes a lot of work.
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 7, 2015,
Thanks Banjocal for your advice, you're right I'm going to try to simplify stuff, going back to basics since my rythym foundations are not very solid. Never heard Imogen's Puzzle before, can't wait to try it out on the guitar when I get home.

Do you know any sources where I can find more good meter exercises like yours that I can try? Doesn't have to be specific for guitar.
Last edited by chyslns at Sep 7, 2015,
honestly, the simplest thing to do is take a chord and play an inversion with each hand. Choose the time signature for each hand, score it out, and make sure you don't try and play two notes on the same string simultaneously. Break it all down into component parts, piece it together very slowly, and start to loop it round until it's instinctive. then, try improvising around it and adding in slides, hammerons, and 8th + 16th notes.

Look at bars of 5/4 put against 3/4 cycling until they resolve on the first beat.

1 2 3 4 5.1 2 3 4 5.1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3.1 2 3.1 2 3.1 2 3.1 2 3

What you might notice is that there are 5 cycles of 3/4, and 3 cycles of 5/4. Applies to all examples I've found so far, even if you go into longer time signatures.

later on, do it with two chords (make a polychord: perhaps separate a 13th chord into two separate chords as a fun little theory exercise) at once.

THEN, learn about poly/rhythms/ rather than poly/meters/. Polymeters are piss easy. polyrhythms can be a nightmare and I wouldn't recommend you go anywhere near them until you can two-hand tap out polymeters on cue.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
All good advice.
Piano players can usually adapt to two-handed tapping within a day or two. Time signatures aside, each hand plays something different and each hand plays by pressing a key. Apply that to the guitar fretboard and you're moving pretty quickly.
I've been practicing what you recommended and it feels like finally this is going somewhere. Thanks for all the advice.
You're very welcome. If you ever have any questions, you know where to message me.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger