Hi All,

I've been looking into picking up a multi effects unit, mostly for recording with - so mostly going DI.

I looked at the HD500x and the Firehawk FX and it seems like there's really not a whole lot of price difference between them (I could probably pick up the HD500x for a couple of bucks cheaper) and not really a whole lot of difference in their functionality.

I'm not a tone freak, I like to pull some tones other people use, or take presets and start editing from there. I prefer not to spend too much time building tones from the ground up.

I do like how the Firehawk is a bit more user friendly than the HD500x and I'm not sure I'd use the DSP on the 500x although it could be interesting. It seems the HD500x would have more functionality than the Firehawk but the Firehawk might be a little bit friendlier to use and the features it's lacking are things I might not use anyway.

Anyone tried these units have any opinion on them?

Cheers,
Chris
You should get the HD500X because someday you might get sick of the Firehawk holding you back. There are thousands and thousands of patches people have created for the HD series.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yep, like lemur said, it's the more popular one so it'd probably be much easier to use shared resources and learn functionality of different effects etc. from others.

Can't speak for the firehawk, never been in contact with one before.
Most are turned off by Line 6's decision to make a product newer than the HD line that uses 5 - 10 year old tech.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by cmcnab.regenersis

I do like how the Firehawk is a bit more user friendly than the HD500x and I'm not sure I'd use the DSP on the 500x although it could be interesting.s

What do you mean "I'm not sure I'd use the DSP on the 500x?"
Do you understand what a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) is and what it does?
Quote by dspellman
What do you mean "I'm not sure I'd use the DSP on the 500x?"
Do you understand what a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) is and what it does?

Yes, apologies, I meant the dual signal paths not digital signal processor. Probably shouldn't have used that acronym!

Thanks lemurflames, I'm leaning more towards the HD500X since it has a bit more functionality, I can pick it up for cheaper and I think it's got a better tone base behind it (user tones that is). Also, I feel the Firehawk is a little "gimmicky". I'm not sure, could just be me but I'm not sure I really want to have a tablet or smartphone on me at all times to use it to full effect.
Quote by cmcnab.regenersis
Yes, apologies, I meant the dual signal paths not digital signal processor. Probably shouldn't have used that acronym!

Acronyms make me crazy.
Actually, you probably won't use dual signal paths much at first. When I first encountered them on the Pod X3's, I thought it was interesting, but maybe a bit gimmicky and a bit more complicated than I wanted to bother with.

Then I started thinking, "Geez, if only I could..." and then remembered that I *could*....Never looked back. Generally speaking, however, you don't want to dismiss an FX unit just because it's got TOO many features. Way too many times my "Ehhhhh, I don't really need that" has transformed itself into, "Oh, crap, that other gizmo has that, and now I understand what it can really do!"
Quote by dspellman
Acronyms make me crazy.
Actually, you probably won't use dual signal paths much at first. When I first encountered them on the Pod X3's, I thought it was interesting, but maybe a bit gimmicky and a bit more complicated than I wanted to bother with.

Then I started thinking, "Geez, if only I could..." and then remembered that I *could*....Never looked back. Generally speaking, however, you don't want to dismiss an FX unit just because it's got TOO many features. Way too many times my "Ehhhhh, I don't really need that" has transformed itself into, "Oh, crap, that other gizmo has that, and now I understand what it can really do!"

Nailed it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Thanks for the help everybody! I looked at a few more multis but I ended up going for the HD500X. I managed to pick up a new one on ebay for $380 with shipping so I was pretty damn happy!
Quote by diabolical
Doesn't the HD also have dual signal path? I think it does but I am not sure.

Yes, yes it does.
Probably too late since you already bought it but anyway..

I bought the HD500X a few months ago and it's honestly not as complicated as a lot of people would have you believe. You can get some really nice tones out of it without a ton of fiddling, especially if you use the thousands of user-created patches as a baseline to start from. You can go really in-depth with it too if you really want to of course, but it's not necessary to get good tones.

One thing I would note though is it's a lot easier to edit patches with the software on a computer than it is to do it on the HD500X itself. I tend to get the patches and footswitches set up how I like through the software, then just use the footswitches/pedals to switch between stuff I've already set up.

One other warning, most of the factory presets/patches that come with it are pretty bad. They are mainly meant to demonstrate the crazy sounds you can get out of it, rather than demonstrating the GOOD sounds you can get out of it.
If you're working with gain, you'll want to look for Meambobbo's Tone Guide (a free downloadable .pdf file). http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

I'd echo bptrav's comment; it's easier to use the editing software on a computer than to poke at things while peering at the tiny screen. And while the factory presets on the rig are what everyone starts with, they're there largely to assist folks at the store demo the range of the system, and less intended to be used as finished tone samples. There's a horde of user presets available on various websites (including the Line6 site) that are variable in quality, but that can serve as a good start for a lot of user sounds, and that will give you some pretty ideas of how to attain various sounds if you spend some time analyzing them...