Hello all,

I have a Fender American Standard Precision Bass newly acquired, with a TC Electronic BG250 bass amp combo bought in 2013. To get straight to the point, I'm getting a buzzing noise when plugging the bass into the combo. I've troubleshooted and come up with the following:

1) The buzzing noise does not occur when just the amp by itself is on, only when bass is plugged in. The buzzing is still present when I plug in other bass guitars I own, though there's a hair less buzzing when playing my active Ibanez ATK805. Touching the strings/bridge does not affect the noise: it remains constant no matter what I'm touching. I tried both a Planet Waves cable and a brand new Mogami Silver cable, buzzing stayed the same.

2) With bass plugged in and the Gain/Master Volume below 5 (aka noon on both knobs), the buzzing is lower volume but still present, though probably on unnoticeable a gig levels. As I move both knobs past 5, the buzz gets louder.

3) Rolling off the tone knob on the bass decreases the volume of the buzz (though if I lean my head right by the amp and strain, the buzz is still technically present, though quieter than a whisper).

4) When I went back to GC with the Precision Bass and played through their other amps on display with one of their Neutrik Cables, I didn't hear any buzzing. I even played another BG250 (albeit a new, 2015 model) with similar settings as I would set, no noise.

UPDATED INFO STARTING HERE:

5) There's also that "washing/ocean waves" type sound present along with buzz, but I heard that's going to happen inevitably once I crank up the volume to gigging levels. Can't remember if this sound was there before or not.

6) Checked all my house's inputs with a tester, all properly grounded. Whether the outlets I'm using share power with potentially interference-inducing house appliances, however, I'm not sure. I've heard that having certain appliances plugged in and/or running on the same breaker/circuit could induce the buzzing noise. In my living room when I first noticed the buzz, we use 3 fluorescent light bulbs for lighting (on), a fish tank (filtering and light systems on), a TV/VCR/Nintendo (off), and my laptop (off). I tried using an outlet in my bedroom, where nothing is plugged in, but still got the same noise. Weird...though it could be my bedroom shares the same circuit as the room next to me, where there's a fishtank with all the bells and whistles...

What're your thoughts? I'd like help on how to further troubleshoot/test for narrowing down the problem.
Last edited by Always-Ben at Sep 26, 2015,
When I went back to GC with the Precision Bass and played through their other amps on display with one of their Neutrik Cables, I didn't hear any buzzing.

Sounds like your rig is picking up interference in your home that it doesn’t pick up elsewhere. A power conditioner might fix it if the problem is your AC. But if could also just be RF interference, and the source might not even be in your home.
Maybe if you can get a UPS power supply, see if that will clean the AC voltage right up.

If you don't get anymore noise then it's your dirty mains.

Could also be your bass electronics is just not properly shielded.
sounds like dirty power to me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Did you get a rubbish complementary cable with the bass? Have you tried swapping the cable with a good quality well shielded one?
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by Phoenix V
Did you get a rubbish complementary cable with the bass? Have you tried swapping the cable with a good quality well shielded one?

No, this was with my Planet Waves shielded cable. Though it's been through some use, maybe I could get another cable just to rule out the possibility or not.
Quote by jpnyc
When I went back to GC with the Precision Bass and played through their other amps on display with one of their Neutrik Cables, I didn't hear any buzzing.

Sounds like your rig is picking up interference in your home that it doesn’t pick up elsewhere. A power conditioner might fix it if the problem is your AC. But if could also just be RF interference, and the source might not even be in your home.

I'll try andget my hands on a power conditioner and check.
I would expect dirty power would present itself as noise / buzz even without the bass plugged in, which you confirmed there was no buzz under this configuration. That's what leads me to the guitar or the guitar cable picking up the noise. But RF can be fickle and a conditioner / filter is worth testing.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Hey everyone,

I just edited the first post to include updated info on my troubleshooting process. So please refer to the first post before answering.

The reason I took so long to update since my last post is that I initially thought my problem was solved. I tried my bass amp at the youth room at the church and lo and behold, no buzzing to be heard. So I figured it was something at my house, and that I would just need to not practice there.

Then earlier this week, we switched practicing from the youth room to the sanctuary. And now I'm hearing the buzzing again. Now, it could be for some reason, the sanctuary had the same type of source for the buzzing as it did my house, and that's the most reasonable explanation. But I thought I'd come to this thread to just check my bases/get opinions: what could the source of such interference?