Hey guys, I've finished a new track, down the road to completing an album.

Its an instrumental, most of the music is played on guitars, I've worked hard on the production for this one too so any critique on the producing and writing is welcome.

As always, will C4C!

Thanks!!

https://soundcloud.com/tommyleigh-1/vital-signs
Thanks for the crit, m'friend!

This is a great song! I love your solo work, the tone and everything sounds perfect. You can feel the emotion in this piece. Everything is mixed very well, I don't hear any hiccups or anything in your playing either. The build-up in the end is beautiful, gave me goosebumps. Amazing stuff, dude! Can't wait to hear more from you!
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

I sound like an angry Yoda...is that a good thing...or a bad thing? lol
Very interesting style. Guitar sounded a bit jazzy but I liked that it was different. The time signature in the beginning was cool but at the same time it felt a bit distracting in the sense that it was hard to follow along and get into the groove of the song. I loved the bridge at 1:47. Built up perfectly to the guitar solo. As far as the solo itself, It was great playing but just remember that sometimes less is more. Leave room for the listener to want to hear more. Make them want to hear the next song to see what you can really do. So much about guitar is what you don't play. Playing some soaring melodies and then throwing in 2 bars of shredding leaves the listener wetting their pants for more, rather than playing fast for a couple of minutes. As far as the production, it felt like the acoustic got a little drowned out at about 35 seconds when the other instruments came in. Im on a laptop so it may just be my computer. The drums were a bit loud and the guitar i think could use a tad bit of a high end boost to help it stick out more in the mix. Other than that, keep doing what your doing. would love to hear more! Give this a listen and let me know what you think. Feel free to tear it apart.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1685434
Well, this is different from the usual metal fare here. A beautifully modal piece of sensitive evocative fingerpicking in 5/8 time! And not just a progressive technical exhibition here. This is full of sensual suggestion and gentle pensive emotion. It reminds me in places of Tubular Bells, with its penetrating Celtic influenced textures and poetical associations.
Beautiful lead guitars, quite densely layered counterpoints that are never cluttered or turgid. Really a masterfully crafted composition.
But what moves me most here, despite the technical excellence and outstanding musicianship, is the feeling, the emotion, the subtle yet ever present melancholically reflective expression of this profound music.
Perhaps it needs to be mastered for a more forward punchy sound. And a more sophisticated sounding drum machine would help.
But thrilling stuff. Outstanding talent here,,,,
For something different, you can C4C here.
Wonderful track, the instruments work together seamlessly to build up into something that sounds eerie, dreamlike and beautiful. Very well done, a very professional track.
Hey!!!

I was really pleased when I noticed you critiqued my track. I LOVE YOUR SONGS. So god damned original and awesome, the vocals are playful and fun, I can tell you enjoy playing this. I can't believe you can sing and shred in the same song, so much focus in this song. Nice lyrics too, "Sucker or Psycho" sounds pretty sick. TOne and playing reminds me so much of Satriani with a little bit of bite to it. I noticed some parts where I thought the vocals could be cleaned up, the only way would be to do separate takes for each instrument, but that being said this song is flippin' awesome. Great job on this one!

EDIT: I had to listen again, that intro keeps getting me!
Last edited by owen556 at Sep 14, 2015,
Quote by owen556
Hey!!!

I was really pleased when I noticed you critiqued my track. I LOVE YOUR SONGS. So god damned original and awesome, the vocals are playful and fun, I can tell you enjoy playing this. I can't believe you can sing and shred in the same song, so much focus in this song. Nice lyrics too, "Sucker or Psycho" sounds pretty sick. TOne and playing reminds me so much of Satriani with a little bit of bite to it. I noticed some parts where I thought the vocals could be cleaned up, the only way would be to do separate takes for each instrument, but that being said this song is flippin' awesome. Great job on this one!

EDIT: I had to listen again, that intro keeps getting me!

Yo dude,i love the positive crit, but i think you commented on the wrkng thread :p
very nice and enjoyable. i'm typically not a fan of all instrumental tracks but this one was interesting and melodic enough for me to follow. the different time signatures really flowed well, as did your transitions. what do you use for drums? i think a little bit work with EQing and mixing them down a bit would help. very smooth playing, nice job!
fck.
Interesting groove the piece in 5/8 immediately gets my attention, it works really well in imitating that heartbeat sound like you mention.
The main groove/melody sounds very 'theme'-like, the drums and echoey stuff compliment each other very well, production is quiet but sounds good across the board with levels/clarity!

The distorted guitar that comes in is beautifully written, the phrasing and playing here is spot on! Middle section works well to break up the track too, cool change to 6/8. 2:53 onwards reminds me a lot of "Siobhan's Song" by Psyopus with the eerie harmonised leads in the background.

Overall this is a solid track man, thoroughly enjoyed it and would kill to see something like this played in a live setup. Good work!

If you want some more instrumental stuff to check out, mind checking out my track?:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1686007
Hey Tommy,

I remember listening to your track about a week ago. I like it. Very nice lead playing, 'tis melodic and soulful. It's a well arranged track with many parts going on, complimenting each other nicely. I also like your variety in your lead playing and wonder if any of it was improvised.

Got to admit I didn't expect the track to pan out the way it did upon hearing the intro but in all the track is integrated.

Production sounds nice and well worked on. Everything is nice and balanced.

Play on man.
Oh god this sounds heavenly. The electric guitar comes in flawlessly. The solo sounds absolutely magnificent.

I honestly have to say this isnt really my type of music but it does sound good. The interlude after the solo is all kinds of ambient goodness.

The second the solo also comes in fantastically.

One thing that is extremely important to me in music is the fact that this track has excellent flow to is. I also love how despite the electric guitar doing the solos should be all the focus in this song, it doesnt completely feel like a wank fest like most guitar centered instrumental songs. There are enough things in the background to keep your ears occupied and keep you excited and wanting more.

The only problem is, and pardon my ignorance for saying this, this track seems to be what is often called "music for musicians". Maybe along with ignorant I may sound somewhat arrogant but it's hard for me to imagine this sort of music being aimed at the average person.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Very very cool! The only actual criticism I have is the drums - not that they're actually bad, just that they sound slightly "digital" compared to the organic sound of the other tracks, and that takes a bit away from the rest. However, they definitely still add to the piece, it's just that I would have loved to hear this track with real drums.

I like the way you play with the signatures, it sounds like there is a purpose behind them and they're not force. Also, I love the way you handle the electric guitar. Lots of technical stuff, but, again, it doesn't feel forced, it feels like every note is there for a reason other than bragging.

The mix is good and clean and feels glued together. Definitely better than I probably could have done although I would have maybe turned up the acoustic guitar slightly when it's joined by the other instruments and panning the guitars (soft or hard) around 3:00 could maybe help with separation.

All in all, good stuff. Really enjoyed it!

Hope you'll check out our new track: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33600973#post33600973
Quote by TommyGunUk
Hey guys, I've finished a new track, down the road to completing an album.

Its an instrumental, most of the music is played on guitars, I've worked hard on the production for this one too so any critique on the producing and writing is welcome.

As always, will C4C!

Thanks!!

https://soundcloud.com/tommyleigh-1/vital-signs

Thank you for the extensive critique of my song! Appreciate ya taking the time.

Now for your song, typing as i listen as well lol.

I like the funky time signature. I really cant say anything bad about this. It's like 70s style music but with a modern feel. The solo flows really well. I guess the only nit picky thing i could think of saying would be that the solos is too long. But thats just personal preference! Good stuff, very very reminiscent of 70s rock. IMO The Mix is well balanced, nothing is out of place. Id say the drums could use a little bit of reverb? To have some breathing room. again just personal preference.
Hey,

thanks for checking out my stuff!

Nice to see some stuff like this on here aswel! Really nice job. Great feel!