Poll: how much are you spending on your next guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: how much are you spending on your next guitar?
$100-$300
0 0%
$300-$500
10 14%
$500-$1000
24 33%
$1000-$1750
20 28%
$1750+
18 25%
Voters: 72.
Page 1 of 2
i am just curious.

how much do you plan spending on your NEXT guitar, being how much whether used or not used or whatever it is for.

i am going to pick up a faded SG for fun as another beater, and i am just looking at the $400 range on the SG. it would be on the cheap range of what i have.

go for it!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have so many guitars right now that I told myself "Next guitar is gonna be a Jackson RR1."
Which run at about $2,000.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
I have so many guitars right now that I told myself "Next guitar is gonna be a Jackson RR1."

nice, i like the RR's, however they aren't comfortable for me. i am at 24 or so electrics, for some reason i am looking for a new potential beater. i have my MIA fenders gibsons and ibanez prestiges and want something to throw around.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
nice, i like the RR's, however they aren't comfortable for me. i am at 24 or so electrics, for some reason i am looking for a new potential beater. i have my MIA fenders gibsons and ibanez prestiges and want something to throw around.

I used to have 11 guitars at one point. Then bills, car payments and all that "life" stuff caught up with me, so I parted with a lot of good guitars that I had the least sentimental value with.
Plus, my band plays only 2 tunings, so 4 guitars are great for now.

I've always wanted an RR1 since I started playing back in 03, though
Some unfinished business, so to speak.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
I used to have 11 guitars at one point. Then bills, car payments and all that "life" stuff caught up with me, so I parted with a lot of good guitars that I had the least sentimental value with.
Plus, my band plays only 2 tunings, so 4 guitars are great for now.

I've always wanted an RR1 since I started playing back in 03, though
Some unfinished business, so to speak.

i was up to 43 at one point. i sold and upgraded. i own two houses (currently) and the gear is somewhat split between. i live in one and the other is more of a studio/man cave, my wife is very good to me from that way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I need the button that says something to the effect of "depends upon which guitar catches my atten-SQUIRREL!!!"

...because I have a ridiculous number of guitars on my radar, ranging from @$500 up to over $3500, and it is a crapshoot as to which will look the best when the itch strikes. Heck, one of the luthiers I've bought from in the past has talked about possibly doing a kickstarter- something I usually wouldn't touch- in which the benefit would be half-price off his guitars for life.

Plus there's pedals to buy.

And another amp. Eventually.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I need the button that says something to the effect of "depends upon which guitar catches my atten-SQUIRREL!!!"

...because I have a ridiculous number of guitars on my radar, ranging from @$500 up to over $3500, and it is a crapshoot as to which will look the best when the itch strikes. Heck, one of the luthiers I've bought from in the past has talked about possibly doing a kickstarter- something I usually wouldn't touch- in which the benefit would be half-price off his guitars for life.

i am kind of a squirrel person too. i went on a Reverb (dot com) binge a week or two ago, and have not even posted up all of the NPD's. i was bored and i saw some good deals, and next thing you know, i dropped $400-$500.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6

RR1 will always be a desire for me. That and a Matt Tuck Jackson signature. But I'd have to find a used one and hope it wasn't too beat up...Until then I have my Jackson RRMG.

I voted $300-$500 because I basically need a second to backup my RRMG for future gigs and such, and I just want to pair up my RRMG with a similar instrument. Doesn't NEED to be a V...But I like V's.

EDIT: Oh and it WILL be used...Unless I run into some crazy sale.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Unlikely to be soon (almost certainly not this year anymore), but when I do decide for the next guitar, it will almost definitely be in the 500-1000 range, or more precisely around the 700-800 area. It's what I can afford, and I know it can get me plenty of guitars that are both gorgeous and play great, while cheaper models are a little cutting corners, and a more expensive one... well... I could afford in theory, but it would feel like too much.

Likely candidates are a new 7-string (probably a Schecter Banshee or Blackjack SLS), or a PRS SE Custom 24, which has been on my "dream" list since forever (the only thing stopping me was the trem).

Although even more likely, I might get a bass guitar first. Because recording and because thundering low notes. And most likely in a similar price range. But any of this will be later, for now my new amp is still being fixed as well as some slight issues with my guitars so it's not the happiest period guitar-wise. At least got my new crazy vibrato pedal as consolation.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
There's not much left that I want, but a fusion-type Cordoba nylon string would be nice. About $800 for the Orchestra CE. It would be trade, not cash, as I already have way too much stuff.

EDIT I notice that no-one has voted in the lowest bracket yet. I could well get another hock shop fixer-upper, total cost would be in that bracket, say $120.
Last edited by Tony Done at Sep 8, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am kind of a squirrel person too. i went on a Reverb (dot com) binge a week or two ago, and have not even posted up all of the NPD's. i was bored and i saw some good deals, and next thing you know, i dropped $400-$500.

My brother from another mother!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I'm not really 'planning' on a next guitar at this point. I have a couple of projects getting towards the 'done' stage(one just needs some soldering, the other is going to need some work i can't do at home), and at that point, I'll have 12.

Having said that, I bought at least half of the guitars after finding myself in guitar shops with spare time, trying some, and liking one enough to buy it.
My next guitar will be a PRS Vela so $1400 or $1280 depending on if I want birds or not. But I'll get it during a sale so it'll be 15% or 20% off. Hopefully, I'll get it sometime next year. There's just something about that guitar that says I have to have one.
I'm already planning my next custom build witch would be over $2000. But it depends if anything on the used market catches my eye first.
I currently have no plans to purchase another guitar any time soon, but occasionally GAS strikes.

I'm actually planning to rebuild my stage rig from the ground up so I'm trying NOT to look at guitars so much as I already have the guitar(s) I need for what I'm trying to accomplish, but I'm looking for an old Award Session Sessionette:75 MkII amp going cheap, so I can send it back to the manufacturer for some modifications.

Then after that perhaps I'll finally get that Rickenbacker 12 string I've always wanted
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I don't even play anymore, but I still want to buy a Schecter Banshee Elite 7 which runs around £1.1-1.2k
The Gibson SG Standard recently went back down to 1299, so I reckon I'll wait a couple years and pick up a used one for under a grand, or maybe even a new one depending on my financial situation.

There's just something so appealing about the SG Standard when I walk into a store. That glossy body, the pickguard and the chrome pickups shining in the light
Currently keeping an eye out for nice used Gibson Les Pauls and Gibson 335. Hoping that I can find one for under $1750 when I decide to buy which won't be for some months.
I'm keeping my eyes open all the times for used bargains. I'm learning lots about different brands in this forum, that should help me spot the better deals.
There are two options I have, either finish my aluminium stratocaster with carbon neck and Fishman powerbridge or go for recreating the red jazzmaster from Kim Gordon:

Both would fall in the 1750+ category.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Both D.I.Y.?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Both D.I.Y.?

Made from parts from the internet.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Well I have most of the guitars I have ever wanted (well the style maybe not the actual brand),but I have really wanted a PRS Custom 24 for the last almost 20yrs so I think that will be my next guitar purchase but probably not for a year or so.

But I have always wanted a Gibson ES175 and I would settle for the Epiphone if I found one at the right price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by trashedlostfdup

how much do you plan spending on your NEXT guitar, being how much whether used or not used or whatever it is for.

I have no idea and no plan.

Honestly, I have too many guitars as it is, and I need a new Macbook Pro, the new iPad Pro, and a new iPhone. Also on the radar is a new "around town" small, great mileage car that will likely have a Honda logo on it and maybe a "boat" to haul clients in. The latter will probably be something like a VW Phaeton Premier Edition from around 2005, with maybe 75K miles on it. It'll run $15K - $20K but will have $100K interior and appointments. W-12 engine, 420 HP, AWD, air-conditioned seats surrounded by leather and wood. I'm on the hunt.
i have no plans on getting another guitar any time soon but can't see myself spending any more than $500 (chop off a zero if wife reads ). i've had pretty good luck finding good deals on nice guitars so far. big part of that is not "needing" another guitar so i can be patient until one comes along that hits the price point i can afford and has that certain something that makes me say "gotta have it". and of course i most often buy used so more bang for the $ there as well. sure i'd love to blow $1000+ on an axe but poverty and the inablilty to justify the expense gets the better of me every time (wife killing me never enters my mind )
I never have a set price in mind, it is generally what I can afford and still pay bills comfortably. That being said I think I am fairly set and have no immediate GAS but this allows for me to find those random deals without truly searching as a "need". Which is how I found my SG and my S2, both happened to be right price, right time and couldn't pass them up. Which is where I am at right now, looking for fun and if its a good enough deal then I'll be up for it. I do find it hard to drop more than $1000 on a guitar without planning though. I am not immediately saving for anything although, the next guitar I save for will be a Yamaha SG 1000/2000.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I voted $1000-$1750 as I imagine my next will be a Mayones Setius, or even a Regius if I have the money, which would then be $1750 plus... Ideally I'd like a 6 string Setius or Regius in one of the gothic ash top finishes with a glossy back and matte neck, but if I can get one for $1200 or less I'd be willing to compromise for pretty much any Mayones 6 string, as long as it was ash body, 6 string and stop tail. I've seen them come up cheaper than that a few times before, I just need the money first. ;P

The only problem is if I get a Setius I'll probably fall in love with it, and then not be able to sell it to get a Regius. I bond with my guitars. xD
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Remain true to the year of the pedal, friend.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I have not planned it, I would have to see the day it comes down to buying a guitar, and then that will depend on a number of things. But one day, if it is ever possible, I would like to have a one on one with a luthier, and really have a guitar custom made, which would be very expensive. Ideally I would be able to do that with a sponsorship, like having a signature Taylor or something like that.

But I think it is safe to say that my next guitar will not be that.
Quote by JustRooster

I am- there's a couple I'm looking at tonight.

I already own one nice budget guitar (SE 245) so I don't feel the need to spend money on another one. What I'd really like is an R9 or Skinner Burst (VOS) so I'd expect to pay way over $1700.
Moving on.....
...said Ippon, shortly before being arrested for suspicion of smuggling guitars out of South America...

Quote by JustRooster

2015 is the Year of the Sheep.

Blindly follow what JustRooster says.
Quote by dspellman
2015 is the Year of the Sheep.

Blindly follow what JustRooster says.

Sirens only sing you closer to the rocks, Danny!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I prefer to think of it a Year of the Ram, thank you very much. Though, at my age, it is increasingly becoming the Year of the Goat.

As for the Sirens? I swim well enough that getting beached holds no fear for me. (Have you seen the cans on those birds?)

Whatever it is going to cost when I have decided on one!

I have had guitars going from $220 to $4630 in todays value and as long as the guitar is fair enough for the price at the time the cost is not that important.

If you end up with the same guitars after 18-20 years you done something right I think. And yes it feels like it is worth it big time.
I'll probably get something just south of $1000 (that's approximate, what with exchange rates and such) as a backup in a year or so's time, but the next guitar I'm certain about buying is this:

Which just tops an English G so is probably around $1500 American.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I don't know. As someone fresh out of uni, I'm not really in a financial position to be spending £2000 on guitars.

I don't plan how much I'm going to spend that far in advance anyway.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Page 1 of 2