Just a quick question here. I recently expanded my pedal collection to finish off my simple board setup (Korg pitchblack, NS-2, Bad Monkey, dano fish n chips & TC flashback) and I was wondering how to power it.

I'm thinking a daisy chain would be the best solution for this small amount of pedals, however I'm just wondering whether my current power supply would work. It reads as a an AC only psu..and from what i've read, it's not a good idea to use an AC power supply with guitar pedals?
The output of it reads 9v 500Ma (total current draw from pedals comes to 186mA).

On second thoughts, I have my POD HD500 psu, which upon closer inspection has a 9v 3A output. Would this be usable or too overpowered?

Thanks, just checking i'm not going to damage my pedals using this psu, would be sad to see my new flashback die
Using an AC power supply to power pedals that require DC simply won't work.

If the pod has a 3A @ 9v output and the polarity's the same of the one all of your pedals require (usually DC negative center, but check that to be sure) then you can use a daisy chain.

If the power supply can supply more current than the current your pedals need it's all good.
If you try the opposite you'll likely fry your supply.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
well, thing is i've been using that psu as my main one for as long as i've used pedals, and never noticed any issues (noise, intermittent failure, frying pedals etc.) which leads me to think that it converts to DC without stating so? because in bold it reads AC adaptor.

Edit:

Where the psu mentions the 9v output, it has a straight line & dotted line by it, which comparing it to my POD psu, has the same. Pretty sure i've just answered my question.
Last edited by ambler3 at Sep 8, 2015,
"AC Adapter" means that it converts from AC and doesn't indicate the output in any way, shape, form or fashion.

You need to read what it says for output to know what it's actually doing inside. I've yet to see any adapter that didn't state clearly what the output was.

Edit: Yes, the straight and dotted line indicate DC output.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I once accidentally plugged my pod power supply into my tube screamer. Instantly dead tube screamer. :/ I wouldn't advice using the pod supply.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i have two 1spots, a BBE supa-charger, and three pitchblacks i run a jack to another pedal. they have their uses.

if i gig with a pedalboard, its the BBE -or- if i am just using an OD, i use the lead coming off of the tuner for it.

most of the pedals in my house are powered by 1spots. my rigs in other rooms are mostly just an OD, so i run an OD off of the output of the pitchblack.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
And then there's the regulated and unregulated 9v supplies...

Even with the correct polarity, a large mah rating on a wall wart, between regulated and unregulated, can determine whether your pedals live or die...

Large mah rating but unregulated means it takes more load to bring the voltage down to 9v.

If your pedals draw so little, like a tube screamer, it will never bring the unregulated voltage down to 9v, so the tube screamer gets fed with more than 9v (usually 12v)even though wall wart is rated at 9v (but it's unregulated, so you need enough juice drawn from it to get it to 9v steady)

The line 6 unit that eats a lot of current will easily bring the unregulated 9v wall wart down to 9v but then it also has a built in regulator inside the pedal, if I am correct.

Other pedals that expect a constant 9v will not survive the line 6 type of unregulated wall wart, unless they draw enough of current from it to get the voltage down to 9v.
I would just buy a pedal power supply - regulated. This way - you know you'll have the right power to each and you will have room to expand, unless you never plan on getting more pedals. ....
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.
Looking for a power supply. Mixed reviews on the Joyo...Any thoughts on the T-rex
Quote by springa
Looking for a power supply. Mixed reviews on the Joyo...Any thoughts on the T-rex

Joyo uses only 1 transformer for the entire box (through a wall wart) and each port in the box is then regulated/filtered, but NOT isolated. It has a common ground so you cannot mix positive and negative grounded pedals (Mainly fuzz pedals?)

With the T-rex, which is truly isolated (direct mains and has dedicated transformers $$$$ for each port), you should have no problems. If you can afford the t-rex, go for it.
You guys do realise that you can buy 9V 2A switch mode supplies on ebay for like $5 or less don't you? Sure, they are single source supplies but for the TS that would be just fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You guys do realise that you can buy 9V 2A switch mode supplies on ebay for like $5 or less don't you? Sure, they are single source supplies but for the TS that would be just fine.

Yes but regulated is not necessarily filtered.

I have one I bought, 9V 800mah switch mode supply supposedly 'filtered'.

Then I have another one I bought off retail, Godlyke power all basic kit.

Tested both with my marshall MS-4 portable amp, no guitar cable plugged, everything turned up to the max. This little amp is my go to device for testing the quality of 9v power supplies.

The godlyke wins. Not bad for a switch mode device. The 9V switch mode 800mah no name wall wart has more buzz/noise, but usable anyway for digital pedals.

But... it is still a switch mode device, which is still noisier than my almost 8 years old
Ibanez AC109 200mah regulated and filtered linear transformer.

The Ibanez beats the rest of them hands down, and I am pretty sure it will kick the 1spot really hard too, since it is noisier than the godlyke. It is almost as quiet as using batteries.

If I am not wrong, those power supplies like t-rex and voodoo labs do not use switching, but linear transformers instead.
I've bought a few. At $5 a pop you can afford the occasional dud anyway. I've always built my own supplies but these days, what the hell? 2A supply for the price of the enclosure? No probs and god bless globalisation.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
hello guys. i just bought a boss ds-1 distortion pedal. and theres no adaptor in the box. well in the catalog it says 9v 200Mah Ac with center negative. the point is i have a 9v 300mah adaptor with same condition that it use to work with my zoom 505II. i wonder if i can use this on my new pedal either or not. i dont know if 300mah adaptor will harm 200mah pedal ??? tnx for helping me ...
Quote by SAEED25
hello guys. i just bought a boss ds-1 distortion pedal. and theres no adaptor in the box. well in the catalog it says 9v 200Mah Ac with center negative. the point is i have a 9v 300mah adaptor with same condition that it use to work with my zoom 505II. i wonder if i can use this on my new pedal either or not. i dont know if 300mah adaptor will harm 200mah pedal ??? tnx for helping me ...

Higher current adaptor is ok, because pedals will only draw what it needs.

You should be more worried about the correct polarity and whether the adaptor/wall wart is regulated or not.

As far as I remember, zoom's wall warts are not regulated since the regulator is built into the mfx units themselves.
Quote by sfx
Higher current adaptor is ok, because pedals will only draw what it needs.

You should be more worried about the correct polarity and whether the adaptor/wall wart is regulated or not.

As far as I remember, zoom's wall warts are not regulated since the regulator is built into the mfx units themselves.

thanks 4 responding. well i dont know about regulator thing . can you please figure it out for me. in ds-1 manual didnt mention about wall wart system
The likes of Boss power supplies, that are sold to work with daisy chains should be fine. But then it all uses the magic of electricity so who know's?
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
walrus audio Aetos does AC and DC. fully isolated, high oytput and regular, 8 jacks, its pretty much a beast. smallest footprint too. and yeah it looks the best.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i got two more 1spots in today. that puts me at four. they are pretty solid for the cash outlay. i have a BBE isoblock too, but its not in use. 1spots are cheaper and they fine for at home use. also i have two pitchblacks i am using to power really small pedals.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/