Page 1 of 6
Germany's planning to take in nearly a million of them, UK and France are taking in less but still sizable amounts.

Shouldn't we the USA help shoulder this task and alleviate the suffering, it's not like we don't have space. Or is an influx of Muslim immigrants too scary.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
what would it cost, a handful of smart bombs? a fighter jet?
a bomber with those bombs on it?
let's take out the refugee camp
I think we should. Syrian refugees fleeing from horrible war seems like one of those "huddled masses yearning to be free" type of things.

I do think the recent social-change-pendulum swing in the US has created too many resentful conservative types for that to be really politically tenable. We got gay marriage, rampant criticism of the establishment, and loads of people talking about the plight of black folks. Letting brown people who believe in non-Christian god(s) into the country might be too scary for some.
Well, we did stir shit up to cause this conflict in the first place. Sorta feel like we are obligated to take them in.
Americans are better at causing refugees than caring for them. So I highly doubt it will happen.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
How are we going to get them here though, are we gonna fly a million people over the Atlantic? that seems a bit unresonable

But if it's a possibility then yea
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
How are we going to get them here though, are we gonna fly a million people over the Atlantic? that seems a bit unresonable

we've brought tons of people over the Atlantic before, we can do it again
Also Germany certainly can't be thinking about a million of them right?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by pugachev at #33586915
we've brought tons of people over the Atlantic before, we can do it again

Can we do it in a not military/basically prisoner type way though
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

We told the Jews to piss off before WWII, and look how that turned out.

Perhaps we should help these folks...

Quote by FireFromTheVoid

But if it's a possibility then yea

There's this little known but quite efficient mode of travel across the Atlantic called shipping...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Sep 8, 2015,
If we're capable of doing so, then absolutely. One of the most shameful things I can think of that we did in the 20th century was turning away the MS St. Louis when it was full of refugees seeking safety from horrific death at nazi hands. To turn a blind eye to refugees once more would be just as shameful.

With that said though, we need to find the location and infrastructure to support them, not to mention getting them here(Speaking of the difficulties of the journey, why is it that there's been virtual silence over the fact that the UAE has refused to take in even a single refugee unlike Jordan or Turkey? It's a hell of a lot easier to get from Syria to the UAE than from Syria to Europe). I'm not sure how much we're helping them if all we can offer them is the chance to die of starvation or dehydration in an overcrowded American refugee camp. We need the means to take care of them, and a plan to turn them from refugees with nothing to their name fleeing from horror into functioning members of society. If we can work that out though, absolutely we should.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 8, 2015,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yes as long as proper systems are in place so they don't end up living on the streets

A great point, but we can't even provide that for our own citizens lol
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Arby911 at #33586922
There's this little known but quite efficient mode of travel across the Atlantic called shipping...

True but I can't imagine that would be very efficient either. Unless it became like a full scale thing where it was turned into a very serious effort to transport these people. Even the biggest ships can't carry an infinite number of people with enough supplies and crew on board as well. Also have to have enough life boats for everybody on board.

Also I'm aware of the fact that there are these things called boats like come on now
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Sep 8, 2015,
Quote by necrosis1193
If we're capable of doing so, then absolutely. One of the most shameful things I can think of that we did in the 20th century was turning away the MS St. Louis when it was full of refugees seeking safety from horrific death at nazi hands. To turn a blind eye to refugees once more would be just as shameful.

With that said though, we need to find the location and infrastructure to support them, not to mention getting them here(Speaking of the difficulties of the journey, why is it that there's been virtual silence over the fact that the UAE has refused to take in even a single refugee unlike Jordan or Turkey? It's a hell of a lot easier to get from Syria to the UAE than from Syria to Europe). I'm not sure how much we're helping them if all we can offer them is the chance to die of starvation or dehydration in an overcrowded American refugee camp. We need the means to take care of them, and a plan to turn them from refugees with nothing to their name fleeing from horror into functioning members of society. If we can work that out though, absolutely we should.

UAE are IN LEAGUE with ISIS
>tfw ninja'd

Quote by eGraham
A great point, but we can't even provide that for our own citizens lol
We can, it's just the distribution of wealth is monstrous and our government doesn't care about its citizens (the disabled aren't even human beings to the DWP). Rapture is basically spot on.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
You're right, but "can't" feels so much more apt given the laziness of politics here.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Then we must seize their violently gained assets by force and put people like IDS on trial for second-hand genocide
Quote by Banjocal
Then we must seize their violently gained assets by force and put people like IDS on trial for second-hand genocide

Can't we just ban genocide in the workplace to protect employees?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Neo Evil11
Also Germany certainly can't be thinking about a million of them right?

800,000, geez Neo read a book.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
True but I can't imagine that would be very efficient either. Unless it became like a full scale thing where it was turned into a very serious effort to transport these people. Even the biggest ships can't carry an infinite number of people with enough supplies and crew on board as well. Also have to have enough life boats for everybody on board.

Also I'm aware of the fact that there are these things called boats like come on now

A large cruise liner could easily carry 20,000+ refugees per trip, with more than enough supplies, and make the trip in a few days. Put 5 of them in service, each making one trip per week and you've transported a million folks in relative comfort in 10 weeks. Put 20 of them in service and you could do it in less than 3 weeks.

Modern ships are by far the most efficient (fuel and cost effective), safest and environmentally sound methods of transport in existence.
Charles Darwin
Quote by ErikLensherr
800,000, geez Neo read a book.

It's a crazy amount.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
The largest cruise ship has a max capacity of slightly over 6,200 people, then there is a pretty sharp decline towards the 3,000 range which seems to be the norm
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
The largest cruise ship has a max capacity of slightly over 6,200 people

Yes dear, because we will transport them in cruise ship style, with all the amenities, right?

FFS!
Charles Darwin
Quote by EndTheRapture51 at #33586937

I haven't been able to follow the whole ISIS situation very closely because of college, so I have no idea if this is actually true or fi you're being sarcastic. I find it hard to believe anyone would be in league with something that horrific, but then again stranger things have happened.

Quote by Arby911
Yes dear, because we will transport them in cruise ship style, with all the amenities, right?

FFS!

Are you saying you don't want to give them all the amenities?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Arby911 at #33586966

FFS!

Well hope nothing goes wrong so all those people don't drown and die in one of the worst ways possible
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by Neo Evil11 at #33586969
Are you saying you don't want to give them all the amenities?

You might as well leave them in Syria if you expect them to travel without the rock wall and waterslide

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
Well hope nothing goes wrong so all those people don't drown and die in one of the worst ways possible

Yeah, you're right. **** 'em, leave 'em where they are...it's surely safer than taking a chance on a transportation method that's safer (.01 deaths per BILLION ton-miles) than anything else out there.
Charles Darwin
These are still people, you can't just cram as many as will possibly fit on a ship and stick them there for a week or so, they still need food, proper disposal of their waste so they're not just sitting in their own shit, room for them to sleep, life boats so they don't fucking die in the ocean if something goes wrong

Like jesus christ there is a huge difference between treating them like first class customers of a cruise line and not like garbage

Edit: ^ yes, leave them to die, that is what I'm saying smh
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

I dunno about mass refugee migration, but the US already accepts Syrian refugees. The problem is integrating them into society. A large group of people who've just experienced some horrific shit, most likely don't speak English, with degrees that don't mean much in the US (or none at all), and zero money considering that they're likely relying the UN relief funds (which never seem to show up) and are basically already starving.

It'd be better to know what you're doing first. France, Italy, and Germany already have these sort of ghettos for Syrian refugees awaiting adjudication on refuge requests (especially for illegal immigrants). They also already have systems in place that will ensure that they're fed, clothed, sheltered, learning the language, back in school, and on their way to employment (those benefits only apply to those whose claims are accepted and are given refugee/asylee status...is what I thought the cheapo capistalist pigs were doing, turns out they extend those benefits to everyone, awaiting status adjustment or not). Even Canada has this stuff in place. They'll even go so far as to give them spending money, food coupons, whatever. They're legally bound to do so, it's not some lottery.

The US has no such system in place. There are no benefits for refugees or asylees who are either awaiting adjudication or have been relocated/granted status. They're not even allowed to work if they're still awaiting status adjustment (and if the process takes more than 150 days, they're allowed to apply for a work permit).

Things are pretty tough in the US for refugees if they don't have the money, because the only help they'll receive is with being given a list of pro bono immigration attorneys/organizations who'll put them on a waiting list because of the volume of client requests they have.

The only help comes from private charities who are already significantly underfunded and strained.

So I don't think the US should take on anything more than 10 at a time, because so far they've had trouble just dealing with the normal 50,000 or so annual requests (which isn't much compared to France/Sweden/Germany, that's not including Syrian refugees/asylees).

Quote by EndTheRapture51 at #33586937

Nah that's Qatar.

The UAE's too good for poverty. Broke? Get out. Jobless? Get out. Homeless? Get out. Got depressed and tried to kill yourself? Go straight to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Now get out.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Sep 8, 2015,
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
These are still people, you can't just cram as many as will possibly fit on a ship and stick them there for a week or so, they still need food, proper disposal of their waste so they're not just sitting in their own shit, room for them to sleep, life boats so they don't fucking die in the ocean if something goes wrong

Like jesus christ there is a huge difference between treating them like first class customers of a cruise line and not like garbage

who do you think has said "fill up a bunch of shipping containers and hope for the best" that you think pointing out people need toilets is worth saying?
the people acting like the max capacity for the largest ships (and most cruise ships are less than half the size) of the kind they've suggested should be tossed to the wind because lol we don't need to treat them like the queen

Suggesting instead to put 20,000+ on people on them, nearly 4 times the limit of said largest ship
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by FireFromTheVoid

Have you ever been on a cruise liner or any ship at sea?

A cruise liner is a great floating hotel and theme park. Every passenger cabin has it's own toilet and shower, food is readily available 24 hrs. a day and a huge portion of the vessel is made up of entertainment facilities like theaters, ice skating rinks, multiple swimming pools etc.

You could put 20,000 people on one and provide for their needs without even working hard. If you did nothing but allocated the existing cabins to a group for 8 hours at a time you would triple the capacity, and that's without taking into account the large staterooms and upper decks where a cabin that could hold 20 people comfortably is used for 2 wealthy cruisers.

You're putting roadblocks up that simply don't exist anywhere but in your mind because you don't understand what that "limit" that you googled actually means.
Charles Darwin
^Edit: I don't think you have a realistic understanding of the space that a single person on a trans-atlantic journey takes up.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33586982
The UAE's too good for poverty. Broke? Get out. Jobless? Get out. Homeless? Get out. Got depressed and tried to kill yourself? Go straight to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Now get out.

This sounds more dystopian than good.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid at #33586992
the people acting like the max capacity for the largest ships (and most cruise ships are less than half the size) of the kind they've suggested should be tossed to the wind because lol we don't need to treat them like the queen

Suggesting instead to put 20,000+ on people on them, nearly 4 times the limit of said largest ship

Realistically speaking, if you took a cruise liner, stripped out all but the most basic amenities, and still crammed more people on there than you should, you'd probably only increase the max capacity by maybe 750-1,000 at absolute most. People take up a lot of space, need a lot of food and water, and use a lot of utilities. Putting 20,000 people on one is asking for disaster.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 8, 2015,
Do you really need toilets on a boat when you can throw your waste into the ocean?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Thank you, I don't think most people realize what 20,000 people would even look like. It's a massive amount of people
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis

Quote by necrosis1193
This sounds more dystopian than good.

Realistically speaking, if you took a cruise liner, stripped out all but the most basic amenities, and still crammed more people on there than you should, you'd probably only increase the max capacity by maybe 750-1,000 at absolute most. People take up a lot of space, need a lot of food and water, and use a lot of utilities. Putting 20,000 people on one is asking for disaster.

Bullshit. As I've noted, just by hot-bunking the existing cabins you could triple the capacity. Have you ever been on one of these things?

I served on a US Navy ship with a displacement of a bit less than 10,000 tons and had a crew complement of about 1500 in reasonable comfort with a lot of room left over. Several cruise ships displace 130,000 tons or more...
Charles Darwin