Guys I need help!

I own two guitars, one electric and one acoustic. I love them both but I've been having a problem; when ever I tune to drop A the high e string snaps. The break happens by the screw(or nut or whatever). This has now happend four times on two different guitars.

So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong, since its probably a human error. How do I avoid doing this?

Thanks
Are you tuning UP to Drop A? Walk us through what you're doing. Six or seven string?
Last edited by dspellman at Sep 8, 2015,
Quote by dspellman
Are you tuning UP to Drop A? Walk us through what you're doing. Six or seven string?

My original post wasnt good, i now see. I left out that this also happens when I tune DOWN drop d. I am sure I'm turning down. But I can't seem to find out why the string breaks. It seems that when tention on the high e string is loosened too much it just snaps by the tuning screw.

Found someone else with my exact problem:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/how-does-a-string-break-when-tuning-down.1204308/

Anyone got any idea why?
Last edited by simen.bruoy at Sep 8, 2015,
what kind of nut? are we talking regular nut or does your guitar have a locking nut?
After examination of the remaining string wrapped around the tuning peg it broke right "besides" the peg, if that makes sense. I don't think the nut was involved...
Quote by simen.bruoy
After examination of the remaining string wrapped around the tuning peg it broke right "besides" the peg, if that makes sense. I don't think the nut was involved...

there might be a burr on the post so check for that. od that it breaks when detuned usually they'd go when tuned up.
Quote by monwobobbo
there might be a burr on the post so check for that. od that it breaks when detuned usually they'd go when tuned up.

^This
Also, what gauge strings are you using?
It is very odd that it breaks when down-tuning.
I used to use 9's in standard and I broke the high e ALL THE TIME.
Went up to 10's and haven't had a problem since.

But I would look for burrs everywhere.
Quote by monwobobbo
od that it breaks when detuned usually they'd go when tuned up.

As the tuning post rotates, it could just be when the burr is in the right (wrong) orientation to cut through the string.
Quote by simen.bruoy
Guys I need help!

I own two guitars, one electric and one acoustic. I love them both but I've been having a problem; when ever I tune to drop A the high e string snaps. The break happens by the screw(or nut or whatever). This has now happend four times on two different guitars.

So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong, since its probably a human error. How do I avoid doing this?

Thanks

How are you retuning? Are you dropping the bass strings first starting with low E? E to A is huge drop and probably is creating too much tension on high E before you get to tune it.
Yeah I start with the lower e string, as it's become a habbit. And my strings are 11-52 Fender 60CL phosphor bronze wound ball. I don't think there is a edge that cuts the string since it happens on two guitars?
Maybe when I start with low e, all tention is left on high e and it causes it to break? Any opinions on that theory? right now it seems that that's what's happening...
By the way, it snaps on its way down. Like it doesn't happen when a tune the a string, but once I start dropping the high e

Thanks for the help guys!
I think there's more to this story that we're hearing. Strings don't break when you are removing tension unless they are ridiculously old (decades) or there's a burr or edge somewhere causing the failure.

And unless it's a floating bridge guitar, loosening the other 5 strings doesn't increase the tension on the high e enough to cause the failure either.

We aren't getting all the facts.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Ive located source of string breakage i think. Ive been stringing them like an idiot...
Quote by simen.bruoy
Ive located source of string breakage i think. Ive been stringing them like an idiot...

Take heart, you're not the only one that's ever encountered that problem...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin