so i have problem with my action on my electric guitar, i don't know if its just me sucking but i have to go super high (IMO) to get rid of the buzz. i've spent HOURS ****ing with it now. on the weekend i'll go to a guitar shop and try the other guitars and get whoevers there to look at mine and get a 2nd opinion. maybe i just suck.

but today i thought **** it and put my action super ****ing low regardless of everything buzzing and holy shit it felt like magic to play.

if its possible to get a electric guitar with action naturally that low and so easy to press the keys for all your fingers then holy shit i can't wait to buy it after i save some money, it felt incredible. you could just glide across the keys.

or maybe its not ever supposed to be that low and i just suck.

anyway this is me playing with it that low , direct with rocksmith cable with added fx.

(yeah i **** up the start i'm worn out to make more takes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZg9uIsKuP8
super low action is often accompanied by fret buzz. you have to change the relief on the neck as well to help keep things less buzzy. most guitars are only meant to go so low and anything past that just will have issues regardless of what you do.

personally i'm not a fan of super low action. i need to feel a little meat when playing. many use super low action as a crutch to make up for poor playing technique as well.
@ mono
yeah i figured, ive actually raised it out of fuzz range now and gonna keep it that way (for now) . the last thing i wanna do it train and then not be able to play on standard action . but man it felt crazy good
Quote by percydw
@ mono
yeah i figured, ive actually raised it out of fuzz range now and gonna keep it that way (for now) . the last thing i wanna do it train and then not be able to play on standard action . but man it felt crazy good

that's good. you will find ifthe action is to low that you have intonation problems and of course the buzzing. yeah i hear you just being able to barely touch the strings can be fun but in the long run you end up with more problems than it's worth.
A little fret buzz is usually okay with distortion, but on the clip you posted it's obviously enough to be seriously sucking the sustain.

My main guitar is a Tele and the 9.5" fretboard radius basically prevents a shredder action, but I also have an LTD which I haven't changed from 9-42 strings and low action since I bought it. When I play the LTD, it really is like butter, but I don't think it really much improves the sound I make. It's not for me. If you are going to shred, however, depending on your guitar it should be perfectly possible to set it up nice and low.

You've only been playing a few months, right? Imo that's a pretty good shot at that solo, all things considered. Keep at it; that's one of the more fun X songs to play
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
i started around the 8th of march but had 2-3 months completely off playing dota so i think that makes it exactly 6 months? or 3-4 months

i'm sure i would have done much better if i just went straight to a ****ing guitar shop and got it sorted out rather than doing it myself . i literally gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome in my thumb the other day for 10+ hours before trying again to adjust it (was pushing thumb like a madman to get enough force to do minor g shape etc)

thanks for the compliment!!!! is that my first compliment? it might be haha
Depends on what a super low action is. I generally like to rock a 2mm string height. Enough to feel the string depress and allow it to bounce back when hammering on/tapping. Like anything in life it requires a fine balance, lower isn't necessarily better.
I played a fender tele custom shop..9-42 strings..like butter..no buzzing very low and true tone at all frets..but very expensive..my les paul classic is set up with 3/16" on low E at 12th fret..10-46 strings..took 2 different techs to set it up to my liking. I play jazz..blues ..fusion..it will "bite" a bit if I hit it hard..
play well

wolf
Is the neck straight? Take a long flat object and check, then place your action a medium pick width from fret at 13 while depressing 12
Quote by Tony Done
If you did a bit of research, I think you would find that low action is not universally popular, even among top players.

Depends on each player. Some may say "I don't use low" action, but appear to have their guitars set up at less than 1.5mm at the 12th fret. That's low for me.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by percydw
....[ ].....if its possible to get a electric guitar with action naturally that low and so easy to press the keys for all your fingers then holy shit i can't wait to buy it after i save some money, it felt incredible. you could just glide across the keys. ...[ ]....
LAPWOB action is possible on most guitars, provisionally. In fact, Carvin used to guarantee their electrics to come out at 1/16" at the 12th fret! (They don't do that anymore, dunno why).

In any event the neck relief must be correct, and the fret job blocked out perfectly level. The neck relief most anybody could do. The fret blocking requires special perfectly flat blocks, and a jig to hold the guitar steady, ideally with a provision to hold the neck in equivalent tension, as would be provided by the strings. So, that a job, a fairly expensive jog, for a trained luthier. (The neck also has to not have any twist in it, but I figure that should be a given).

In any case, you can't really do anything with a guitar much other than shred with a guitar set up that way. The amplifier exponentially magnifies any picks dynamic you might be using. In low gain or clean situations, (and with acoustic instruments), you have to supply the dynamics with pick attack. So, you can't swing hard, without introducing distortion.

Even in the studio, guys that are trying to play extremely fast licks, sometimes tape off other strings so the don't hit them while playing specific parts..

Moving on, strings swerving to the side while fretting, (causing detuning), and lack of string control by the action, leads to muddy, out of tune rhythm parts. (Should you ever decide to play rhythm).

Low action can also lead to not developing sufficient muscle strength, should you suddenly decide, (I mean god forbid, right ), decide to play a 12 string or an acoustic guitar.

So, low action is good for speed, but not an across the board, all purpose solution.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Sep 13, 2015,