Hello,
Probably a dumb question but I will ask it anyway.
Which of these guitars is better, a used S2 Custom 24 or a new SE 30th Anniversary Custome 24?

According to the seller, the used one is a S2 custom 24 McCarty.

Thanks for your help
Try them out and see which one you like better. That is the better one for you. Now if you are a collector instead of a player, I'd say pass on both. And I say that as a PRS player and fan.
Last edited by PeterBradley at Sep 9, 2015,
i haven't tried an S2, but i would recommend buying used over new anyways. that new SE will lose half of its value when you leave the music store. the S2 is already used, and it won't lose any more in terms of resale value.

i think the debate should be between should i buy a USED S2 and get a better guitar or a USED SE and have some cash in your wallet for something else.

thats just me though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Tony Done
It isn't just you, I was thinking the same thing.

great minds think alike
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I hear very mixed opinions on SEs. It seems half the people I meet either say they were excellent value guitars, with good tone and playability, while the other half I've met say they are unreliable, with cheap tuners, sharp fret ends and overall less than stellar playability. The main difference between the two is that the S2's (and USAs) are made in Maryland USA, while the SEs are made in Korea. The S2s and USAs are going to be pretty much flawless out of the box, as the quality standard in Maryland is really high, whereas the SEs may have a few more iffy guitars leave the factory.

Now it all depends on price really, if both are around the same price I'd go for the S2, yeah it's used but if you can make sure there's nothing wrong with it, no one will care. You'll be getting a higher quality instrument, simple. If the SE is cheaper, and you get a chance to play it and it plays well, then you have options. Either get a nice instrument and some spare cash for gear, or you get a nicer instrument for a bit more.

If you are unable to try either, however, I'd go for the S2, as it's the safer bet (especially if the owner can vouch for it's playability). I personally would love to own either an S2 or USA PRS
Last edited by Jimjambanx at Sep 9, 2015,
The S2 is a much better guitar than the SE (and SE are pretty good)

But if I were you look at a used PRS CE24 these were discontinued in 06-07 but are identical to the regular custom 22/24 (even the body contours) except they have a bolt-tru maple neck. They run $900-$1300 used. I have had mine for over 10yrs and it is an excellent guitar

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Rob - how are the bridges on the CE? are they pretty stable? i know that they are not floyds, (lol), but do you get a bit out of them before they go out of tune?

how does it compare to a USA fender?

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Rob - how are the bridges on the CE? are they pretty stable? i know that they are not floyds, (lol), but do you get a bit out of them before they go out of tune?

how does it compare to a USA fender?

It is the best non locking trem I have ever seen/used. You can get pretty damn crazy and it returns perfectly. I also like that they are a floating trem and you can pull up a pretty good amount. You can also rest your palm on it and it does not want to go out of tune like a lot of FR do

Blows fender trems away. The EBMM trem is the only other non-locking trem that even comes close
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 9, 2015,