I mean this is serious, i'm just curious because i've lived outside city limits my whole life..

anyway has anyone here grown up in a suburban life? what was it like???
If you define "suburban" as "neighborhood of single-family homes, limited access, and plenty of parking", that's me.

The best part is the space. Houses you can walk around in. Driveways and street parking for five cars and a boat. A yard your dog can run around in. A system of sidewalks you can walk/run on without dealing with traffic. Not much crime. Contrast to living in a expensive tin can apartment on a busy-ass thoroughfare with shady people everywhere.

I kind of wish I lived just a little further out, like right over the city line in the county. Then I could live on a couple of acres, shoot guns, and accumulate parts cars. The 'burbs offer room and freedom to do shit, but it's countered by local ordinances and HOA regs. I definitely don't want to spend the rest of my life jammed into the middle of a city. The extra income from a city job would be wiped out by the massive cost of living, and there is a laundry list of shit I love doing right now that I wouldn't be able to do anymore.

I got a boat in the garage with the motor pulled out and half-disassembled on a workbench, almost ready to be sent to a machine shop. I can't do that out of a $3,600 a month, 300 square foot NYC apartment.
I've lived in the same neighborhood my whole life, It's a small, low crime middle class suburb. Not a bad place to live at all. I'd hate to live in the city, I like living in a quite environment close to nature.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
unreasonably peaceful and pleasant.

In other words, nice but boring.

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Thrashtastic15
unreasonably peaceful and pleasant.
The countryside would drive you mad

it's like a British Deliverance over here
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
yes that

but with banjos, incest, and casual racism

Do the bits with Navid count as casual racism, or is it professional because everyone was being paid?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
What is suburban life

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Do the bits with Navid count as casual racism, or is it professional because everyone was being paid?
IDK I skimmed through it

I don't have all my day of doing fvck all do be watching 30 minute videos, son.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Nah I've always lived in big cities, always will. Metropolitan lyfe for...lyfe.

Quote by MeTallIcA313 at #33587856
I've lived in the same neighborhood my whole life

Good god man, get out. It's a big, strange world out here.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Sep 9, 2015,
i'm more or less a suburbanite, although I've mostly been in smaller/poorer "suburbs. Not like the subdivisions where all the houses look the same and have perfect yards and shit.

But yea bruh its pretty chill, safety and all dat
I live in the suburbs but based on my listening of many pop-punk albums, I've learned that's not the same as living in suburbia
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Suburbs all my life. Especially in outer London, everything is ridiculously pleasant save middle-class mums and their unreasonable 4x4's.

It's great cuz I'm right on the edge of farmland and countryside. Massive open fields are a 10 minute walk away. If I walk 10 minutes in the other direction, I can get a train straight into London and busses to go anywhere, is crey.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Nah I've always lived in big cities, always will. Metropolitan lyfe for...lyfe.

Huu

Whenever I visit people who live in not-cities I can't fall asleep at night without feeling claustrophobic and creeped out. My lullaby is traffic and sirens and people yelling at each other on the street. I don't need a whole lot of space either and the only reason I wouldn't want to live in an apartment is so I could have my own garden. I like seeing different people in my building every day.

(well I lived in a small town for a while, but it was still in an apartment and right next to the fire station so it was ok)
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Sep 9, 2015,
best suburbia place i lived was minnesota. good schooling system, a billion lakes to do summer (waterski) things and winter (ice fishing) things, nice people, good for employment (a bunch of company headquarters and stuff are in minnesota), has a huge mall that is incredibly dull because the changed the bit and there is no reason to walk far into it, cause like every store has one in each of the main areas, like there's 5 nordstroms or something like that you know, kind of a peaceful quiet bit, tornados touching down in your backyard and down the street, humidity with heat that attracts all the bugs, winter so bitter you have to start your car an hour in advance so it is actually not cold, and if you don't wear appropriate clothing you can freeze to death in like twenty minutes and stuff, the capitol is st paul but minneapolis is cooler, theres a large arena there called the target centre, where i saw billy joel live, and it's also the home court for the mn timberwolves, apparntly there's some hockey team there so that's a thing, it's been a good place for musicians to com out of examples such as prince, and now now, and low, and i think the guy that did the wugazi mixtape, and eyedea and other midwest rap groups that helped kick off the midwest rap scene, with brother ali who probably has a larger effect, chad smith, husker do, bob dylan, billy something or other who was rems drummer until he almost died, david ellifson or some other dad metal that is boring, judy garland, motion city soundtrack, owl city (lol), and there is cool scandanavian style things because scandavnainad came over so in the winter it looks pegit and its all oh man i am in scandinarnia this is great and mn is consistently always in the top range for best places to live and a city called eden prairie where i lived is often considered to be one of the best cities to live in in america, due to employment and nice people and lots of outdoor things and good schooling systems and it's just kind of nice

so that's my opinion about the sub. with a family it'd be ace. on your own it would be weird, and that's when i go into my london deal

good thread
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Grew up in suburban south Florida, between Miami and ft. Lauderdale. It was cool I guess. Pretty "regular" upbringing.

Minus dat beach being 20 minutes away
My God, it's full of stars!
sometimes i cant believe it
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Dreadnought
Grew up in suburban south Florida, between Miami and ft. Lauderdale. It was cool I guess. Pretty "regular" upbringing.

Minus dat beach being 20 minutes away

Same. I still live in it but I work in South Beach so I get the urban and suburban life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33587979
Good god man, get out. It's a big, strange world out here.

I'm only 21, I'll get my own place somewhere eventually. Still looking for a full time job and shit.
I love the suburbs.

Quiet and peaceful most of the time.

The only time is loud when this guy rides his motorcycle out of the place.
Quote by Banjocal
yes that

but with banjos, incest, and casual racism

More specifically dueling banjos tho
yeah but what about submarine life
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
yeah but what about submarine life

Quote by whywefight
More specifically dueling banjos tho
Well keep in mind my username and that, well, when I was younger I was obsessed with that song and can FUCKING RIP IT
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Well keep in mind my username and that, well, when I was younger I was obsessed with that song and can FUCKING RIP IT

You probably can only play that one lick.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
You probably can only play that one lick.
nah I learned the whole thing

but I can't play banjo in student flats cause it's too loud. I don't have the chops I used to have :<
Quote by EndTheRapture51
but was it the good one?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
It was a mix of pretty much every version I could find. I did a lot of the harmonising the lead like Smith did there, but I focused on rolls and extended chords as opposed to some of the picked lines he did, as that's a very primitive version and I tended to lean towards Scruggs-style playing.

but yeah moral of the story we basically have that dry hillbilly wasteland in england too
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Arthur Smith played a tenor there though so shows what you know

i bet you never had real chops
Last edited by theogonia777 at Sep 10, 2015,
Eh, I couldn't prove it if I wanted to

Besides, you can play those harmonies and similar ones just by pinching with fingers. He's still using his fingers or at least hybrid picking that in places Tenor gets used with fingers over picks all the time, don't really see your point there tbh - why mention the type of banjo he used when they can usually be easily transferred over?
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 10, 2015,
Tenor is played with a flat pick. That's why the tenor parts sound like they are being flat picked. Because they are.
...i know. Some other parts sound like they're being rolled on or using his middle/ring fingers, that's what I was mentioning. the fast linear runs would be a nightmare to do with bare fingers, naturally

originally I was just saying I took inspiration from the really great harmonising he uses in the main lick and put it into my 'own' version, is all
Some other parts sound like they're being rolled on or using his middle/ring fingers, that's what I was mentioning.

None of the tenor parts sound like that though.
Eh, a couple of short bits here and there did for me during the harmonised head, and there was an odd lick or two where it sounded like a string skip was used with a finger instead. I haven't listened to that version in quite a while, and didn't earlier, so I was admittedly working off a shitty memory of it.

originally I said " I did a lot of the harmonising the lead like Smith did there, but I focused on rolls and extended chords as opposed to some of the picked lines he did, as that's a very primitive version and I tended to lean towards Scruggs-style playing." so I mean I wasn't even talking about his playing outside of the main lick where they/he harmonise you then started interrogating me for some reason.