Okay, I have a gig this Saturday and the cab provided as backline I'm being told is a Marshall 4x12 @ 4 ohms*, and my Orange OR100 head only has options for a 16 ohm input and two 8 ohm inputs.

I've tried looking for definitive, stone wall answers but it's all been a bit unclear (what with differing opinions all over the net and such), so basically...will a 100w Orange valve head with 4 x EL34s @ 8 ohms go into a 4 ohms cabinet?

*To be honest, I'm pretty skeptical as I have not physically seen the cab and only been told this info...I didn't know Marshall did 4x12 cabs at just 4 ohms? Just thought I'd ask for the hell of it though.
i wouldn't mismatch ohms. marshall probably doesn't make 4 ohm cabs, most (if not all) are 16 ohm cabs. they use 16 ohm speakers, and what they probably did was wire the speakers in parallel.

sooo... you could see if you could rewire the cab (if they used spade terminals it would take two minutes), but that probably isn't viable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah I'm not even gonna touch the cab (belongs to a local rehearsal studio I think).

Hopefully the guy giving out the info got it wrong and meant to say 4 OR 16ohm (which I believe are the options for the 1960a 4x12 cabs). I did hear from other sources that I might be okay if I don't crank the amp - but if I can't crank it then I might as well not bother (also that word 'might' is a dirty word to me).
Quote by m_wilkie
Yeah I'm not even gonna touch the cab (belongs to a local rehearsal studio I think).

Hopefully the guy giving out the info got it wrong and meant to say 4 OR 16ohm (which I believe are the options for the 1960a 4x12 cabs). I did hear from other sources that I might be okay if I don't crank the amp - but if I can't crank it then I might as well not bother (also that word 'might' is a dirty word to me).

yea, i didn't think that would fly. lol.

i have heard that 2:1 or 1:2 matches are acceptable, but i wouldn't gamble on that myself (having advised you against a mismatch).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If your amp is the lower impedance you should be OK, I've done gigs with my 8 ohm amp through backline cabs that were 16ohm, no problems. I wouldn't do it the other way around, especially after I was present on one of these where a rich kid brought in a brand new Mesa Triple Recto his parents had bought him for his band and disregarding all musicians at sound check proceeded to hook it up to a lower impedance backline cab. Sparks flew...it was quite a bit of fun for us and a "I told you so" moment for the kid.
Most likely that cab is 16ohm and has a switch or second plug option for 4, so you set the cab at 16 and the amp at 8, you should be fine. But if doesn't...
Quote by diabolical
If your amp is the lower impedance you should be OK, I've done gigs with my 8 ohm amp through backline cabs that were 16ohm, no problems. I wouldn't do it the other way around, especially after I was present on one of these where a rich kid brought in a brand new Mesa Triple Recto his parents had bought him for his band and disregarding all musicians at sound check proceeded to hook it up to a lower impedance backline cab. Sparks flew...it was quite a bit of fun for us and a "I told you so" moment for the kid.
Most likely that cab is 16ohm and has a switch or second plug option for 4, so you set the cab at 16 and the amp at 8, you should be fine. But if doesn't...

Or even better, set the amp at 16 and use the 16 on the cab...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by m_wilkie
Okay, I have a gig this Saturday and the cab provided as backline I'm being told is a Marshall 4x12 @ 4 ohms*, and my Orange OR100 head only has options for a 16 ohm input and two 8 ohm inputs.

I've tried looking for definitive, stone wall answers but it's all been a bit unclear (what with differing opinions all over the net and such), so basically...will a 100w Orange valve head with 4 x EL34s @ 8 ohms go into a 4 ohms cabinet?

*To be honest, I'm pretty skeptical as I have not physically seen the cab and only been told this info...I didn't know Marshall did 4x12 cabs at just 4 ohms? Just thought I'd ask for the hell of it though.

Orange does not like a 4 ohm load and may overheat. When in doubt, bring your own 1x12 cab.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
This amp will not act too kindly with a 1x12! Well...unless I powerscale it down to 50w or something. I do have my own cab but there is no way of transporting it to the gig (no room).

After enquiring, the likelihood is that it is indeed a Marshall 1960 with a switch for 4/16 ohms as diabolical says. Just have to wait and see.
Quote by m_wilkie
This amp will not act too kindly with a 1x12! Well...unless I powerscale it down to 50w or something. I do have my own cab but there is no way of transporting it to the gig (no room).

After enquiring, the likelihood is that it is indeed a Marshall 1960 with a switch for 4/16 ohms as diabolical says. Just have to wait and see.

A 300w EVM 12L purrs nicely with a 100w Orange in front. It is the 1x12 for those in the know.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
There's no way the cabinet is only wired for 4 ohms.Unless somebody really F'ed it up.

If it's a regular Marshall 1960 cabinet, just make sure the switch is on "mono" and use the 16 ohm input. Case closed.
If you had to in a jam, you could use an 8 ohm head in a 16 ohm cabinet, but not the other way around.
1960 cabs are pretty versatile when it comes to ohms.

*putting your 8 ohm Orange in a 4 ohm cabinet would be bad for your amp. You could however do the opposite. 4 ohms into an 8 ohm caninet. It's best to match them though. 8 into 8, 16 into 16, or 8 into two 16's parallel, etc.....
Last edited by Gutch220 at Sep 12, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
Or even better, set the amp at 16 and use the 16 on the cab...

If you can...yes. Always go with lower impedance on the amp if you can't match.

OP - how about a spare head, I'd probably take something cheaper to that gig so if it blows

I took a Peavey Windsor for those situations. In your case I think it is a 4/16 switch on those cabs so you should be fine but I'd hate to go there and have to risk my gorgeous Orange (if you can't safely downscale to 4) just to get through that gig.
Last edited by diabolical at Sep 13, 2015,
When in doubt, bring your own speaker cable, plug it into the cabinet, and use a multi-meter and measure the ohms.

Never believe the words/labels on the cabinet, you never know when it could've been rewired.