Hi guys, I recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul off a mate, and noticed it buzzed or hummed quite loudly unless you touch any metal part or the guitar (i need to touch at least 3 fingers on the strings, one isn't enough to eliminate it).
A few minutes research suggested it has a grounding problem, but after taking it to a tech, he said it's completely normal for a guitar with humbuckers, and the point was for the player to become the ground. He suggested buying different pickups if cancelling the hum was important to me.

I'm only a beginner so I trust what the expert told me to some extent, I'm just after some more opinions on the subject, perhaps from other Les Paul owners, as this amount of hum doesn't feel normal.

My other guitar, an LTD ec-50, has no hum whatsoever, which is what originally sparked my curiosity. I'm using a Roland Cube 20gx amp.

So if it really does come down to upgrading the pickups, which i don't mind doing if i have to since i got the guitar for a mates rates price. What would you suggest.
Quote by james_couch59
he said it's completely normal for a guitar with humbuckers, and the point was for the player to become the ground

But seriously, it's not normal, assuming you don't crank the gain up to 11 or the humbuckers are complete garbage (which shouldn't be the case in an Epiphone LP). Could be a ground wire problem, or it needs shielding. Both can be done by yourself.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Ow and it's hum, not buzz. Buzz is usually when the strings rattle against the fretwire and the guitar needs adjusting
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
I've had this too; I never bothered fixing it in the end and to the best of my knowledge it was still an issue when I passed on my Epi.

Your tech sounds like an idiot - in fact the whole original point of humbuckers is to eliminate 60-cycle hum, though that particular hum is not necessarily what this is. The player's not supposed to be the ground - the (guess what?!) ground bus is! Assuming you can't do it yourself, take it to a professional to check the ground connections.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Thanks for the responses guys. I opened the guitar up today and there was no loose wires, or soldering bridging across anything from what i can see. I tried fiddling around with everything in more depth while i read other solutions on the internet. The hum stops completely for both pickups if the volume knobs are turned all the way up, and tone all the way down.
This is your standard wiring diagram:

Don't mind the colors of the wires, they differ from brand to brand, but in general, are all wires connected as pictured above? And I'm especially curious about the ground wires. Those are the black ones soldered to the back of the pots. Also, any funny business with the soldering as far as you can tell? Maybe a cold solder, where the solder looks dull instead of shiny?
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Last edited by icanhasgodmode at Sep 10, 2015,