I was in the guitar store today and happened to pick up a Yamaha Classical guitar and I just loved the tone I was getting and how easy it was to play. Are Yamaha classical guitars pretty good overall? Are there any others I should look at in the 300-500 dollar range. The Yamaha I was looking at was like a CG142, I'd like to get one a little better than that.
I see Yamaha's recommended on here all the time and people on here swear by them but that is mostly steel string. Me personally, I only played one model Yamaha that I actually liked. Then again, when it comes to classical they are decent.

It really comes to what it sounds to you. If you like how it feels and sounds go for it. The question I would say to ask yourself "What am I buying this for?" Aside from Zac Brown band that does most (not all) his music on a nylon string, usually nylon strings are chosen for specific purposes. Classical, flamenco, etc.

I do have a desire to get one, but really want to find one built by Taylor and see what a Taylor version sounds. However, I am sure it won't be cheap if I find one.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
I want to get one for one reason. Maybe I have weird hands/fingers but on a conventional guitar with the typical 43mm nut I have an almost impossible time playing any chord where I have to have 3 fingers all on the same fret, for example an A chord. The ends of my fingers are to big around to squeeze all 3 into that small space. I either don't get 1 pressed down well enough and get buzz or I end up touching an adjacent string and again get buzz. With the much wider neck on a classical I know that won't be a problem. I wish they made conventional guitars with the choice of neck width, if I could get one with a 46-48mm nut I probably wouldn't have a problem.
Yamaha have a decent quality for the price point.

Another alternative is Cordoba. They're mostly geared for Flamenco, high means that they're more percussive and the action is a bit lower. Whatever you buy, make sure the intonation is decent. It's one of the most obvious flaws to pick up that isn't visual.
Quote by fingerguy
I see Yamaha's recommended on here all the time and people on here swear by them but that is mostly steel string. Me personally, I only played one model Yamaha that I actually liked. Then again, when it comes to classical they are decent.

Same here. I always hear how great Yamaha guitars are, but when I play them I'm usually disappointed. Bad luck maybe, or maybe the guys at GuitarCenter didn't set them up before putting them up to be handled. I did like the APX-50 quite a bit though.

I have a Cordoba C-5. It's a decent classical guitar, but I dislike the wide fingerboard. If you get one be very careful about the humidity....strung my C-5 two months ago with new strings and they broke within 1 month in a temperature (but not humidity) controlled house.
Quote by Sunfist
I was in the guitar store today and happened to pick up a Yamaha Classical guitar and I just loved the tone I was getting and how easy it was to play. Are Yamaha classical guitars pretty good overall? Are there any others I should look at in the 300-500 dollar range. The Yamaha I was looking at was like a CG142, I'd like to get one a little better than that.

I've said this a hundred times on this forum and I'll repeat it again - Yamaha generally makes the best instruments for the money on classical and acoustic under $500.00. The only real competition they have in Classical guitars in tha price range are Godin's (La Patrie) - the Canadian company - those are great as well.
^^^^ I was very impressed with the couple of cheap Katohs I tried, and Cordoba also have a good reputation. - If I was buying, I would be looking at those to makes in addition to Yamaha. One of our local classical teachers is urging his students to buy Katoh, and I have played a Cordoba Fusion that I really liked. - Almost bought it in fact.