I've always used my index (1) and pinky (4) for the stretches on the E, B and e strings 12-15, 12-15 and 1 and ring (3) for the A, D and G strings (12-14, 12-14).

But I know slash never uses his pinky and instead seems to use His 1 and 3 for the stretches and 1 and middle finger (2) for the 12th-14th frets (assuming Em pentatonic). Seems like Eric Johnson does this also.

Which do you do, and is there an advantage to either?
I hope this makes sense.
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Sep 10, 2015,
I mostly play bass, so I tend to use my pinky wherever possible. The advantage of using the ring (or middle) finger is that the pinky is free to play a higher note if necessary.
Quote by edg
Use your pinky. You are limiting yourself without using it no matter what anyone else does.

+1. Though there's no harm in using 3rd finger as and when ... but don't under-develop your 4th finger.

When it comes to bends, and vibrato, the 3rd finger (supported by the 2nd), is usually involved, where the fingers are locked, and the motion comes from the wrist, combined with thumb squeeze.
Quote by RyanMW2010

But I know slash never uses his pinky and instead seems to use His 1 and 3 for the stretches and 1 and middle finger (2) for the 12th-14th frets (assuming Em pentatonic). Seems like Eric Johnson does this also.

I do that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
learn to use teh pinky. onc you get past the 12th fret then space becomes more of an issue so using the 3 finger method makes far more sense. you should not get into habits that will limit you down the road for your playing. getting the pinky going is hard at first but like anything with a little practice you'll get the hang of it. once you start getting into more complex scales (like the harmonic scales) then you'll find that using he pinky is pretty essential if you want to play with any speed.