Greetings all!

I'll try to be brief; basically, my band's bassist has a lot of problem with blisters on his right hand fingers (he plays fingerstyle, no plectrums). He plays with 0.50 gauge strings and not really willing to change that, since it's the sound he likes. We play in standard tuning, btw.

He uses roundwound strings, I suggested maybe changing to flatwounds since I guess they should be easier to his fingers, but they're too expensive where we live so they're a bit ouf of the question We have a tour coming up and we're a bit worried that those blisters mgiht screw him up (even thinking about maybe using a pick to avoid problems). Do you guys have any tips? What could he do to get rid of those blisters? He only has those problems on his right hand fingers, no problems on the left hand since they're callused. Right hand just gets blisters, no calluses. He hits the strings pretty hard with his right hand.

thanks in advance!
Well, it happens. Eventually he should develop callouses. If he changes to flatwound strings, that will do more to change his tone than changing the string gauge ever will. Same with plectrums.

I would advise finding a tight fitting glove if it gets to be a problem. Look up scott's bass lessons on Youtube and you will see what I mean. He has some sort of muscle issue (I think) and he uses a glove to help. Tone is still awesome.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Rubbing alcohol can help skin to heal more quickly. Proper stage monitoring and control can stop a person hitting their strings hard enough that they're hurting themself.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by Ziphoblat
Rubbing alcohol can help skin to heal more quickly. Proper stage monitoring and control can stop a person hitting their strings hard enough that they're hurting themself.

Bingo. He's playing hard to get more volume. This should come from his amplification not his fingers. Turn up the amp or the monitor, and ease off the hard attack on the strings. He could also switch to a pick while the blisters heal.
Thanks for the tip about alcohol.
Would you guys say that rubbing alcohol on the fingertips while keeping practicing at home, trying to not use too much force, would be a good plan then?

Quote by c3powil
Well, it happens. Eventually he should develop callouses.

well, that's the thing, I think he has been playing for over a decade. He has calluses on his fretting fingers, but his right hand just doesn't get calluses it seems, only blisters
We have a bass player who occasionally anoints himself with superglue. Seems to forestall blisters.

Turn up his volume.
When I started Bass Violin when I was 9 they gave me a tincturem I cannot recall what it was, I want to remember Benzonite or something like that. It was a tacky substance, not pleasant.

What he needs to do first is raise his Pickup.

If he is a puller, he will be a puller.

Superglue is my next choice, and when he blisters, pop them and then apply the superglue on the blisters, dry and play.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B