got it? ok

add a zero to the end (ex: 6 -> 60)
subtract your original number
add up the digits (ex: 43 -> 4 + 3 = 7)
double the result

find the corresponding letter of the alphabet if a=1, b=2, c=3, etc.. here's a handy chart
a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k  l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x  y  z
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

now think of a color that begins with that letter

look at your keyboard and find that letter. look at the key to the left (if possible). think of animal that begins with that letter

ok now check out this song

Last edited by Eastwinn at Sep 10, 2015,
Purple kangaroo.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Whoa
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Eastwinn at #33590250

ok now check out this song

LOL almost got me

also you're the skinny white Neil de Grasse Tyson of math on obscure forums
My God, it's full of stars!
i like this game because it punishes smart asses
but also cause that song is 10/10
your number is 8 ^_^

edit: lol **** you
Last edited by MinterMan22 at Sep 10, 2015,
This thread got me like
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
& waffle

Pi add 0 = pi minus pi = 0 double = 0
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I chose 1.53 because I figured you were setting us up and you didn't specify that it had to be an integer.
Free Ali
chris: 1.53 still works with some modifications. you have to take 'add zero to the end' to mean multiply by ten. that way you'll get 15.3 - 1.53 = 13.77. when you add the digits you get 18, and if you add those digits you'll get 9.

that iterative process will result in 9 for every non-zero positive rational number. proof is left as an exercise to the reader. theo's choice of an irrational number is more troublesome. idk how to modify the process to make that work but i'll think about it.

Quote by Dreadnought
but does 0.99~ = 1 ? ? ??

please
obviously
Last edited by Eastwinn at Sep 10, 2015,
Quote by Eastwinn at #33590289

please
obviously

give several reasons why
alright I'll try an irrational number

a=e
a1=e x 10^1
a2=e x 10^1 - e

"add up the digits"

at 10 decimal places e is equal to 2.718281828

a3=9 x 2.718281828
=24.46453645

a4=[2+4+4+6+4+5+3+6+4+5]
=43

43 x 2 = 86

I'll assume the letter system repeats and adds a new letter similar to any numerical system.

therefore 86 = CH

then that makes XG

****ed if I know what starts with XG
Quote by Eastwinn

that iterative process will result in 9 for every non-zero positive rational number. proof is left as an exercise to the reader. theo's choice of an irrational number is more troublesome. idk how to modify the process to make that work but i'll think about it.

Try writing as a series
let's say your number is A

((10A) - A) = 9A

you're essentially multiplying your original number by 9

now i need to find out how to prove that multiplying a number between 1-10 by 9 will always equal a number whose digits add up to 9.

**** how do you do that

assume a+b = 9 (0=<a,b=<9 or something) (a is the first digit of whatever you get by multiplying A by 9, b is the second digit e.g. 9x7 = 63, a = 6, b =3)
so b = 9 - a

well if we're essentially multiplying our original number A by 9, then... let's try this:

9A = 10a + b

if a is the first digit, you have to multiply it by 10 for the answer to be proper (e.g. 9*6 = 54, or 5*10 + 4)

b = 9 - a

so

9A = 10a + (9-a)
9A = 9a + 9
A = a + 1
therefore
a = A - 1

so the first digit (a) of any number (A) multiplied by 9, is A - 1. but that only works for A between 1-10, why did that happen?... oh, because i only chose a and b, two digits. it only works as long as the answer is two digits long.

so A - 1 = a, but a = 9 - b
A - 1 = 9 - b
b = 10 - A

the second digit (b) of any number (A) multiplied by 9, is 10 - A.

now, does a+b=9 when you plug in those things?

(A-1) + (10-A) = 9
9 = 9

so no matter what A you choose, the digits of the product will always add up to 9.

i think i cheated though, i'm not sure if i'm allowed to assume 9=a+b and then just draw my conclusion from that. it's circular or something.

help

edit: in all fairness i haven't done proofs in like 5 years
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 10, 2015,
Quote by RedDeath9
i'm not sure if i'm allowed

ALLOWED?!

you can do whatever you want dude, rules are for squares
its only 1-10 so you can prove it for each one. No one said this had to be a general proof

Quote by Pastafarian96
also what about imaginary numbers? What about (-3)^1/2 ?

Thats not between 1-10
Last edited by Ssargentslayer at Sep 10, 2015,
Now thread's got me like
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by Ssargentslayer
its only 1-9 so you can prove it for each one. No one said this had to be a general proof

Thats not between 1-9

GENERAL PROOF OR NOTHING

you can extend it to numbers above 10, you just need to add another variable to the whole 9 = a+b+c+... thing. And for rational numbers you need to do some shit based on how many decimal places are in the final answer or something

Quote by Pastafarian96
@RedDeath9 - that's exactly how I worked it.

nice.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 10, 2015,
Blue wolf but only because I got v for the animal and immediately thought of volk which is in Slovene obviously.

Smo anglophones

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Nvm i mixed up subtract and divide

Again, smo anglophones

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,