Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some Amp advice.

I'm currently playing through a Vox AC30VR, which I bought second hand a couple of years back for £200 ($300) when I was on a real budget and in a desperate need of a replacement amp.

It's okay, and I mean okay. Does the job for gigging as it gets plenty loud, and the pre-amp tube gives a reasonable crunch, but it has that solid state front end.

I'm looking to get into the area of a full tube amp, to get that classic sound. My budget is now around £500 ($770).

I've been looking into the Vox AC15 C1 models, they've got some very good reviews. My only reservation being, will it be loud enough?

Almost all the gigs I play, amps are mic'd. The odd one isn't, and then it's obviously un-mic'd in the practise room.

I'm the sole guitar player in our 3 piece blues/rock band.

I really dig the Vox sound, and that chime and high end they give out. So, ideally, I'd like to stay with Vox.

Any opinions on the Vox AC15 and if it'd be suitable? Or maybe any other suggestions in the same ballpark for the budget.

All help welcome

Thanks in advance, guys!

Jackson
The AC15 should work just fine and be a deff upgrade. I do suggest you get an amp stand if you don't already have one to put the speaker closer to your ears
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
From what I've understood, 15's break up quite a lot quicker than the 30. 15's are still loud though. I haven't had a chance to dig into a 15, but for blues you might need more clean headroom, if you're micing you'll probably be fine. And often Fenders are a more "bluesy" amp but VOX can do it too.

But with that said, fancy breaking your back and going with a used AC30?
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 11, 2015,
15 watts should be enough. You could always bring your own mike or DI along in case. You will likely be pushing the power-tubes a lot, but that's what will give you a vintage sound, but it would be good to check with someone who has that model to make sure it can be pushed that much.
I currently use an AC-30, but a few years back I used an AC-15 in a pretty loud band and it could not keep up. I had to always turn it up to the max, so there was no chance of getting any kind of clean sound from it.

I definitely do not advise it unless perhaps...

1) You are willing and able to mic up your amp even for rehearsals

2) You are the only guitarist in your band, and your band is not loud at all

As I said, these days I use an AC-30 in a very loud band, and my volume is a little past the halfway point, with top boost about the same depending on the song.
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I have some reservations with the AC15 due to the potential lack of clean headroom. Admittedly, I don't play clean all the time, but it may be too much of a downsize from my basic 30VR.

I have heard that about Fenders for the bluesy stuff, I wandered into my local music store today and they had the Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed in there for only a little more money. 1 x 12, with 40 Watts of power.

Any thoughts on this being a good alternative?

Many thanks again,

Jackson Wolf
Quote by Jackson.Wolf
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I have some reservations with the AC15 due to the potential lack of clean headroom. Admittedly, I don't play clean all the time, but it may be too much of a downsize from my basic 30VR.

I have heard that about Fenders for the bluesy stuff, I wandered into my local music store today and they had the Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed in there for only a little more money. 1 x 12, with 40 Watts of power.

Any thoughts on this being a good alternative?

Many thanks again,

Jackson Wolf
Well just to clarify, an actual AC15 would be a step up from the VR tone-wise. Clean headroom maybe not, best way to find out is to crank one yourself. c:

As far as the Blues Deluxe, that is a differently voiced amp. If you like it then go for it, but make sure the tone (including break-up dirt and heavier stuff) works for you.
I don't like the blues dlx's at all.

Peavey classic 30/50/delta blues I would look into, but I would still take an AC15/30 over that though.

Having the amp at ear level will go a long way as far as being heard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Here in the UK you should be able to find an AC30 for £500. When I was looking about for a Randall RM100 and found someone selling one for 500, he traded for an AC30 for it.

Also personally I'd want the AC30 also cause the 15 doesn't have an FX loop.