Did a search, couldn't find (apologies if I missed it, eyes are failing me these days). However if there is something feel free to remove.

So MPs recently had a debate about assisted suicide, the first time it has been voted on for 20 years, and it was rejected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34208624

What are your views on this?

Personally if i'm in as much pain as some of the illnesses out there cause, I want to die on my own terms and not be bed ridden for years upon years. There is too much religious beliefs on this topic and it has clouded their choices.

Opinions?
Is anyone here even religious any more?

Anyway, if they're of sound mind and it can somehow be proven that they are then they should get to choose.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

If I were terminally ill or had the onset of dementia I would much prefer to go out on my own terms than waste away.
This makes me want Guy Fawkes back.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I think it should be an option but I see why politicians are extremely skeptical about it given how easily it can be abused, and the burden on older people as well as medical staff it could become.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
We have it. Currently extending it to mental patients and children.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Just read the article. People should really **** off with their "coercion" argument. No one is being forced into it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I don't think it's the government's business to tell someone they can't kill themself for any reason but particularly for terminal painful illnesses. Opposition is merely pandering to religious fanatics who don't even know their own Bible.
Well there were some serious issues with that particular bill IIRC, but imo the state should only have enough influence so as to prevent people's rights being interfered with by another and protecting our most vulnerable (welfare, benefits, national healthcare etc), so I find this denial of people's freedom to be fundamentally wrong.
As long as there are the right regulations in place, people should have the right to die if they are terminally ill or in constant pain due to illness or whatever.

The NHS would possibly save money if people who wanted to die were allowed to, and since the goernment loves making the NHS save money I am surprised at how quickly this was rejected
I have nothing important to say
I get that there is a couple things that should be taken into account.

I.E Could it be abused? Who would actually provide this service? Not many out there would want to kill people for a living.

But as mentioned above. If you are in pain and it's terminal, you should have the right to decide your own end without having some government deciding you can't have the satisfaction of ending it to be free of the pain. Just don't get it.
Anyone know if we have DNRs over here, too?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
There's a history of Alzheimer's in my family so I want to be able do to some legal shit (don't know if it'll be in a will or what?) so that if I develop Alzheimer's just to put me down.

But I'm all for pro choice in general.
The answer is yes, if someone is terminally ill they have a right to die rather than suffer. The fact that there's even a debate about this is ridiculous.
Quote by WaterGod
The answer is yes, if someone is terminally ill they have a right to die rather than suffer. The fact that there's even a debate about this is ridiculous.

Yeah but god.

I mean he put nowhere in the bible anything about this, but he is clearly against it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Sep 11, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11
Yeah but god.

I mean he put nowhere in the bible anything about this, but he is clearly against it.

Numbers 16 “‘The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the Lord. 17 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water. 18 After the priest has had the woman stand before the Lord, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse. 19 Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you. 20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”— 21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell.

God is actually pro-abortion.
I have to wonder where the whackos somehow got the idea that suicide is "immoral"? Does the Bible itself not say "if your eye offends thee, pluck it out"? Seems like a solid precedent to me that our bodies to us are a gift from God (assuming the Bible to be the word of God). On the other hand the evangelical idiots that run the show in the USA have probably never read a Bible in their lives anyway (judging by their profoundly UN-Christian beliefs).
i don't know where 'here' is, but both the uk and america have dnr's, with the small print (not really small print, but th conditions) that the patient requesting is not in a mentally healthy way to make that decision

basically if i ordered a dnr it wouldn't be validated cause sadness and things
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
i just responded to a post a while ago that I opened in a tab but only just got to, so it turns out i'm like three hours late or something idnore me but it's still true etc
it's all coming back

regarding suicide in religion, there is no firm determination in the bible. 'thou shall not kill' obviously doesn't include self defence. so 'self-killing' isn't definied in that way, so no firm statement can be made.

some religions (cristian denominations idk about other) basically say it's bad, but they never condemn it as a sin
it's all coming back

also suicide is a very impossible thing to describe, just because of the billions of factors. is someone wanting to kill themselves because they think it's a sort of redemption thing (some weird sci-fi christian mashup thing did this, basically cult mass suicide) or is it in protest (self-imholation guy on the ratm album) or is it accidental or is it mental illness, and if so, is it depression, or delusions, or a dissaccotians from reality, etc

if someone wants to day they should be able, i don't think the hospital should be able to deny that. perhaps in a hospital, but should a patient demand discharge for the sake of preffered death, it shouldn't be a problem
it's all coming back

also there's bits where people essentially commit suicide by attacker. people will do some big crime thing, get armed police on them, and then die by getting shot. it happens in a lot of religious history s well where someone refuses to break a commandment so they either stand there and get killed., or they kill themself before to avoid the sin.

so yeah that's it for me
it's all coming back

Read this as assisted driving.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by JackalUK
If I were terminally ill or had the onset of dementia I would much prefer to go out on my own terms than waste away.

I cant find my shoes ,Im going to kill myself .
Quote by yope
op,...hospice ?

Yes, because you cannot suffer if you have ~People caring~
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Baby Joel at #33591082
i don't know where 'here' is, but both the uk and america have dnr's, with the small print (not really small print, but th conditions) that the patient requesting is not in a mentally healthy way to make that decision

basically if i ordered a dnr it wouldn't be validated cause sadness and things

I'm pretty sure DNRs can be invalidated in such a case that someone can provide evidence that the patient is depressed or mentally unstable. Some ways I know this can be done is from thyroid tests, psych eval, or a formal diagnosis of depression/other mental illnesses.
Free Ali
I'm 100% pro right to die. My grandma had sarcoma in her leg. She had it amputated to stop in from spreading, but by the time the amputation was done it had spread everywhere. She basically spent the last few months of her life in agony until she finally died. She was Catholic and never would have chosen to die, but I know there are countless other people in similar situations who just want it over with and it's cruel to deny then that right.