Ok I have this problem that I want to learn so much songs at once.
I practice 3 songs or more a day. Now I want to practice Johnny cash - I won't back down.
Has anybody the same problem.

I guess it would be better if I practice one song until I can play it.
I don't practice many songs. I have 3 or 4 that I play regularly. Other than that I pretty much "fake it". As long as I know the beat/chords I can play anything Lately I've been goofing around with stuff like "Up in Smoke", "Freight Train", and "This Land is Your Land" when not playing one of my regular tunes.

I guess I'm "serious" about learning 1 song at a time, and not so serious with the others. It's fun to just grab the git and bang sometimes, savvy? But anytime you play, assuming you are trying to play well, you are getting better....so just grab that axe and start picking
Quote by Rolandson2
Ok I have this problem that I want to learn so much songs at once.
I practice 3 songs or more a day. Now I want to practice Johnny cash - I won't back down.
Has anybody the same problem.

I guess it would be better if I practice one song until I can play it.

How fast a person can learn a song and learn it "well" depends on the individual. Experience, skill level, natural talent, and so on.

Me, I am a slow learner, and now as a mature adult with a career my time is limited. So I focus NO MORE than 2 songs at a time, actually I prefer one but as we got towards the end of Blackbird from the Beatles my teacher through in a 2 part page of the next song and said put some time into that.

The thing that bugs me and this is just a quark I have is people that half ass learn songs. The ones that say "I kind of play this, and i kind of play that." I rather a person learn one song from beginning to end and get it down so it's done well then sort of know 10 songs.

But again that is just me.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Don't listen to fingerguy. I have a strong suspicion that he has terrorist sympathies and plays the ZITHER, NOT THE GUITAR!!
Quote by TobusRex
Don't listen to fingerguy. I have a strong suspicion that he has terrorist sympathies and plays the ZITHER, NOT THE GUITAR!!

I had to look that up. Wise ass.

Hey to each is own. Also note I am a finger picker not a strummer. Anyone can strum to a song as you got the right chords and strumming pattern. Finger picking takes a different kind of effort.
Quote by fingerguy
I had to look that up. Wise ass.

Hey to each is own. Also note I am a finger picker not a strummer. Anyone can strum to a song as you got the right chords and strumming pattern. Finger picking takes a different kind of effort.

Same. More fun than just strumming too.
I don't care really care about memorizing songs, i just like to play along 4-5 hours a day, I wish there was a filtered random tab option in ug
It's probably best to stick with only learning 1 or 2 songs at a time. I find they "stick" more in my head and muscle memory if I do it that way. If you already know some other songs you can mix in playing those too though, or work on some other techniques for a bit. Just grinding away at 1 song for an entire practice session can be counter-productive. In my experience it takes days or even weeks to truly learn a song anyway, to the point where you don't even have to think about it to play it anymore.

A lot of it comes down to how much time you have to practice too. If you can only practice 30 minutes a day you probably won't be able to learn as many songs as someone who can practice 3 hours a day.
Quote by rprdo
I don't care really care about memorizing songs, i just like to play along 4-5 hours a day, I wish there was a filtered random tab option in ug

Why put a time on it? Just pick it up and do it. Play a song, work on scales. Work on technique. I only worry about time is when it's time for bed and I been at it for hours and lose track of time.