How can you tell how many conductors a pickup has by the website description?

Many website descriptions and specs of pickups don't specify how many conductors the pickups have.

Is there a sure fire way to determine this without having to look at every single wiring diagram of every pickup? Some specs actually do say "4 Conductor" or "2 Conductor" pickup, but some listings don't have this information.

It's especially hard when you are looking at many listings on a page and there is no filter and you want to just look at 4 or 2 conductor pickups.

Example:

Fender TWIN HEAD MODERN HUMBUCKING PICKUP
http://www.fender.com/parts/pickups-preamps/twin-head-modern-humbucking-pickups/0992218106.html#start=1

There is no mention of how many conductors this pickup has in the specs/description.

VS

Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 SH-15

They clearly state in the description that the pickup is a 4-conductor.

Are there any other details that you can look at to determine this? Is it assumed that all coil split humbuckers are all 4-Conductor, is it assumed that all non coil split humbuckers are 2-conductors? Is it assumed that all single coil pickups are 1 conductor?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Last edited by bachfantasia at Sep 11, 2015,
You click on the rightmost picture, which is the bottom of the pickup, and realize it's got 3 prongs.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
It gets more complicated as companies might change the construction of a pickup over time, or offer a custom service to change a 2 conductor to a 4 conductor. If it doesn't state, then ask. Seymour Duncan always lists this in their pickup descriptions.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by bachfantasia
Is there a sure fire way to determine this

No.

Stock changes, parts change, stores use stock photos, even the wiring diagram may indicate that a pickup has 4 conductors but it may come with 2. Gibson pickups for example are sold aftermarket with 4 but OEM are usually 2. There is no way to know for sure without additional information.

Once again, in a bachfantasia thread, I have to ask: why are you asking? Is there something specific we can actually help you with or is this another vague and apparently idle question?
Quote by Roc8995
No.

Stock changes, parts change, stores use stock photos, even the wiring diagram may indicate that a pickup has 4 conductors but it may come with 2. Gibson pickups for example are sold aftermarket with 4 but OEM are usually 2. There is no way to know for sure without additional information.

Once again, in a bachfantasia thread, I have to ask: why are you asking? Is there something specific we can actually help you with or is this another vague and apparently idle question?

Thanks. Just curious. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to sort through websites when I'm trying to look for a new pickup and I can't find a way to sort by number of conductors.
What about EMG? I know they have quick connectors, but the amount of conductors aren't listed anywhere. Do they all just have 1 conductor per pickup, or does it depend?