I have about four vocal tracks. I edited the clips such that the volume is evened out pretty well. Then I mixed everything (i.e., vocals, guitars, bass) and have a pretty smooth sound that averages around - 6 to -9 db. I have to create a bass bus and add a plugin for simulated bass as the bass is guitar tuned down an octave.

That's the extent of my mix. The vocals were recorded twice to thicken them. They sound pretty good like that. I don't want to use pitch correction. Just curious as to whether there are some plugins that I should consider to "treat" these vocals.

Someone recommended compression and reverb and recommended adding them to each track. I'm unclear on why I would do that as opposed to creating a vocal bus and putting the plugins there.

Also, if any of you guys use Studio One 2 Artist, could you recommend specific plugins for reverb and compression? There is more than one type.

In my song, there are four vocals tracks. No plugins have been added to them except the "Mixtool," which I used to adjust the gain.

Thanks.
Quote by selftaught1000
Someone recommended compression and reverb and recommended adding them to each track. I'm unclear on why I would do that as opposed to creating a vocal bus and putting the plugins there.
Personal preference alone.
Quote by selftaught1000
Also, if any of you guys use Studio One 2 Artist, could you recommend specific plugins for reverb and compression? There is more than one type.
I'd simply discover what each plugin does and then decide based on the result I want to obtain.

If you want other plugins, lexicon's reverbs are the best plugin reverbs I've heard.
For compression it depends on the type of compression you want.
I'd look into the softube fet compressor and TLA-100
Quote by selftaught1000
In my song, there are four vocals tracks. No plugins have been added to them except the "Mixtool," which I used to adjust the gain.
Your mix will probably sound dry and crowded.

If you want to avoid some of that double track the guitars, pan them at the sides, then put some fast peak compression and then possibly some slow rms compression on the vocals, then a bit of delay so that it sounds longer and reverberated but not really repeated.

Put some compression and then a bit of reverb on the master bus.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
There's the vocal bus which could use some mike compression in the form of leveling and you can treat each with more drastic compression.
There are 2 compressions in S1 if not mistaken, one can add a bit of enhancement to highs and lows and some saturation.
I also like to use the tube warmer for some grit, DaTube I think it is called.

It really depends on song and vocal type.
There's a parallel compression trick, bus to an aux and bring into the vocal main bus, mix to taste.
Another producer trick for main vocal is several separate different compressors in parallel, one working on front end attack, one on the sustain, set in different ways, then mixed together to the same bus.
"If you want other plugins, lexicon's reverbs are the best plugin reverbs I've heard.
For compression it depends on the type of compression you want.
I'd look into the softube fet compressor and TLA-100"

How do you get these? I don't see anything with Studio One Artist.
"There's the vocal bus which could use some mike compression in the form of leveling and you can treat each with more drastic compression."

Do I even need this if I manually edited the vocal clips such that there are no wild swings in volume?
"There's a parallel compression trick, bus to an aux and bring into the vocal main bus, mix to taste"

Could you explain this in a little more detail? Right now, I just have four vocal tracks. The only bus if for the bass because I used Ampire.

My intuition was that I could just send the four vocal tracks to a bus and slap on there plugins that I wanted to apply to all the vocals.
You basically have to have movement in the vocal and add little small changes even to make things interesting.

One of the producer tricks is to say you have your main vocal or vocal comp of several tracks, you take that and create several aux busses with different compressor on each, then play around with it, on one tame peaks, on another one squash the hell out of it, etc.

Then you can automate some movement, or even mix it in realtime if you have fader controller.

If you already cut the levels out you might have killed your feel...dunno. In that case you probably don't need that much compression and you can treat everything with the same bus.

You can also just do fader moves, nothing else, there are some producers that don't compress their vocals but ride the faders instead.

It is subjective and you'd have to know what to listen to, so I don't know how much more in detail I can explain it, you'd just have to sit in on a few sessions and see these tricks in action and know what to listen for.

The guy you mentioned that is telling you to get Lexicon - he probably means external plugs, which don't work in Artist, you'd have to upgrade S1 to the next up and then purchase these plugs.

I feel you pretty much have teh whole package in there and the verbs are good, no real need, you can do with what you have.
Interesting. Yes, what you describe in the first part is quite technical and will require some training. At least now I have the vocabulary to start searching. Thanks.
general rule is reverb and compression. There are lots of options in how to do that. If you put compressors on each track, the attack and delay is triggered by each track. Whether or not I would do that would depend on the track and vocals.

EQ obviously as well. There are other things you can do like distortion, saturation,and literally anything you can find that alters the vocals that you find sounds cool.

I have never not used compression and reverb on a vocal. But maybe you dont need to, idk, but I find it unlikely.