I practice a lot on finger exercises and everything but it gets tiring after a while, so then you wanna play some songs or something but does any one else here get just tired of the same old things? I get tired of playing metallica, ozzy, pantera, even gojira sometimes, to the point where im just like, what the hell do I do now? anyone else feels me? any tips?
Learn a new song with different genre and even guitar technique you haven't tried before(could be fingerpicking,etc). Or take a break.
That's exactlly what I felt a while back too, although I didn't do any excercises. I found that setting a goal, for example a song I wanted to learn, really helped. It's way out of my reach to play still but I found that it gave me an almost limitless source of motivation.
Sounds like you're burnt out to me. Just take a break, and then come back the ideas will be there once; you're ready.
find some cool songs like reggae or funk or pop (akb48 style) or blues or ...idk
Quote by DarkF1ame777
I practice a lot on finger exercises and everything but it gets tiring after a while, so then you wanna play some songs or something but does any one else here get just tired of the same old things? I get tired of playing metallica, ozzy, pantera, even gojira sometimes, to the point where im just like, what the hell do I do now? anyone else feels me? any tips?

Go try fingerstyle for awhile. Who knows, maybe you'll learn some things you can apply to your play on the electric.
Last edited by TobusRex at Sep 12, 2015,
Yeah try chicken pickin Lol That's a ****in challenge. Seriously theres some weird stuff going on there. Learn how to do a banjo roll on guitar. But aside from learning songs, if you don't know how to improvise over backing tracks you should get into that. Wide open field for playing guitar.
Quote by mabbamam
Yeah try chicken pickin Lol That's a ****in challenge. Seriously theres some weird stuff going on there. Learn how to do a banjo roll on guitar. But aside from learning songs, if you don't know how to improvise over backing tracks you should get into that. Wide open field for playing guitar.

Meh...on second thought probably not a good idea. Once he gets his hands on something like a Big Baby...he won't play another electric
Quote by sybalez
Learn a new song with different genre and even guitar technique you haven't tried before(could be fingerpicking,etc). Or take a break.

Yep all the bands the OP listed are pretty similar. There's not really a wide variety of techniques/styles going on there. If the OP wants to stick with metal maybe try some of the fingerpicking/acoustic parts of Opeth or something similar.

Sometimes it's best to just take a break though. If you aren't enjoying it then what's the point? Obviously sometimes you need to struggle through some difficult stuff to advance your playing, but even then you should feel some satisfaction in what you are learning.
Quote by DarkF1ame777

Venture past your comfort zone. Drop the electric and grab an acoustic and try some finger picking. Much more challenging than you think.
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
You could try Bass.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
What songs do you practice ? Can you make a complete list to show me ? I listened and I make list of a lot songs by priority by style inside of metal music in Word .doc and then I try to get the tabs.

I remember that for one year I practiced exercise, scale, chords, arpegy, riffs with the same person , at the same time I asked him for guitar solos also I bought guitar book kill em all Metallica and a classical music book for electric guitar and then I began to learn only for tabs well I correct them with other teacher too.
Well after that life , long story...

What songs do you practice ? Can you make a complete list to show me ?
Ya, I get bored after repeating same old songs. What I do is , try learning diff genre of music, such as jazz, blues, country/bluegrass, etc ....
It is fun actually.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

Quote by fingerguy
Venture past your comfort zone. Drop the electric and grab an acoustic and try some finger picking. Much more challenging than you think.

That is what I am doing now. Hope to play Classical Gas oneday.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

When this happens to my I start doing some improvisation. Take a day or two just to have fun rather than just practicing certain things. You gotta have just fun sometimes.
You can make meadleys or modify the songs you know play. For example I know play the guitar solo of My Last Words and Holy Wars from Megadeth. I dont play the whole song because I can MIX with other riffs more dinamyc of Megadeth too.
I know play master of puppets of metallica but I dont like the whole guitar solo , so I took off part and insert part of other guitar solo from Metallica.
Or Rainig Blood with other guitar solos from Slayer too.

Learn from tabs took me time and effort because of that I have a standard list of songs I improve with the time, well I look in that way , riffs dinamyc sound and not so long duration. Metallica songs old stuff have 8 minutes of duration at least

I have a folder ( In spanish carpeta ) with paper with wrote notes by hand and tabs I printed in a Cyber. With All usefull material to descharge energy . Power metal or neoclassical, thrash, deth metal, black metal, heavy metal, classical music for electric guitar
I know that feeling. That's when I would try making up my own shit. See where it leads. I'm not even good
Never. I could play the same song over and over. If you learn to improvise, every time you play a song it will be different, and you'll be more into it, where the music moves you, which is always awesome, rather than just doing actions to produce the notes that are a song.
change things up rather than going thru the same routine al the time. maybe one day do finger exercises., the next work on a new song, the next play songs you know etc. the other thing that may help is try working on writing your own stuff.
I wouldn't worry about practicing too much. I once thought the same about practicing everything. Like scales, chords etc. But the only thing that worked for me, that truly developed my playing. Was to learn songs and not theory/scales etc. People want to hear good songs, not confusing theory stuff. I'm not saying you should stop learning theory or practice abstract stuff. Just learn songs you like and practice on them. Then you will be able to see your progress and development much easier and faster. That said, this works for me. Its not a universal correct answer for everybody.