Just wanted everyone to share stories and experiences about this one. Does it ever seem almost impossible to start a band? I am 21, Red and blue seal Journeyman plumber and gasfitter, married but have lots of time and would like to just even jam with people. I started playing when i was 9. Obviously not a prodigy or anything but enjoy it as a hobby. Have arranged several jam sessions with other players and everyone backs out at the last moment. I have even tried musolist and put ads out where people seem onboard but when it comes down to doing it, they chicken out also. I have more than enough gear for a band (except drummer) with Marshall DSL, Mode 4 heads, Mesa Dual Rectifier, 14 guitars, a bass halfstack. I don't even know anyone even from highschool that still does music? anyone in the same boat?

I recently recorded a song myself that you can hear at
Colten G Song check out Radiation Single its not the best but it's passable as a hobby i'd say. Drums are sampled and everything else was done by me. For the other tracks, they were just recorded in my basement a few years ago
Where have you looked for bands so far? Have you auditioned for any bands? Follow Craiglist? Go to local gigs?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yea i go to local shows but i never hear or see on the internet of anyone looking. maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas? i haven't tried craigslist but have been on musolist and kijiji aswell general searches on google.
Quote by coltendean
Yea i go to local shows but i never hear or see on the internet of anyone looking.

Yeah but do you ask around it shows? Most musicians go to see local bands they know or like. You can ask random people if they play or ask the bands if they know of anybody.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^^^ Yeah, it's cool that you go to local shows, nice But engaging with the bands is another step that you should take - become "part" of the scene.

Quote by coltendean
Yea i go to local shows but i never hear or see on the internet of anyone looking. maybe I'm looking in the wrong areas? i haven't tried craigslist but have been on musolist and kijiji aswell general searches on google.

Most likely you are taking the wrong approach. If it seems like everyone is able to form a band except you, you're using the wrong strategy.

Notably when you start gigging you tend to go through a whole heap of bands before finding the one that's just right. Keep an open mind and try out for bands even if they don't exactly meet your tastes - you might enjoy playing different types of music and playing in a band is better than no band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
First off have business cards printed with your name, phone and email. Nothing too fancy or expensive. Don't try creating a card that is being cute or artistic. When you go see other local bands take the opportunity to introduce yourself to the players. When you find someone interested in having a chat explain your situation (short version) and tell him you are looking to join or form or join a band. Musicians who are actually out there playing are your best source for networking. They often know other players who are looking for a situation or are possibly looking for someone like you and are already at the right skill level for what you want to do. Posting stuff on Craigs list or anything similar sites might get you a lot of responses but mostly amateurs or people who do not share your musical tastes. That's just a waste of time. Talk to guys at the local music store, they are all musicians and deal with musicians all day long. Make the rounds, talk to other bands and always have a card ready with your basic contact info. It just looks more professional.

Like AlanHB I also recommend joining up with bands that may not be playing exactly what you want to be playing but are established and doing gigs. I have been in bands that were not perfectly suited to my tastes in music but they were good, they were working and they were pros. Do it for the experience and to get yourself known on the local musicians circuit.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Sep 29, 2015,
Craigslist, open mics, music classes at a community college are all target rich environments for players. Seek players who actually want to gig. There are a lot of great players who are content to sit in their bedroom and wail away. These are not your guys. A player needs to be hungry to play live in order to commit to a band situation.

Over the years I have generated a circle of musician friends with similar interests and trust. This makes it much easier to pull a few friends together for a project. People move in and out of availability based on their job and home life so keep things flexible and never burn bridges with other musicians. Always always keep that door open for something in the future.

Start building your contacts list and things will start happening.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Sep 16, 2015,
do you think it's easy to start a brand and business without clear assets, vision, and connections?
modes are a social construct
What city are you in? It seems like some cities have more involved music scenes than others. Also it feels like bands are dying off a little bit...there aren't as many bands around my town as their used to be. But yea your best bet is to start jamming at an open mic and take it from there. From your soundcloud it sounds like you're a good player, so it shouldn't be too hard find people who would want to jam
Last edited by ConradAbbott at Sep 29, 2015,