This happens on all of my guitars (very high output). When I put my amp volume past 11 o clock, there is a loud high pitch sound. It stops when I mute the strings but comes back when I release my hand. How can I fix this?
This just sounds like feedback to me. Stand further away from the amp
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
A noisegate could help. Alternatively a kill switch whenever you're not playing.
Especially if you're playing in a small-ish room, this is simply what comes with higher gain and volume levels. If you stand further from the amp and out of the area directly in front of the speakers it'll improve.

^He's right though, a noisegate could help.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Turn it down, move further away, don't point the pickups at the amp

Quote by Matriani
This just sounds like feedback to me. Stand further away from the amp

There isn't a humming problem, it sounds like the guitar is playing harmonics when I let go of the strings. The only thing that has worked is lowering the volume/gain but what if i want to play really loud?
Quote by sandvika
There isn't a humming problem, it sounds like the guitar is playing harmonics when I let go of the strings. The only thing that has worked is lowering the volume/gain but what if i want to play really loud?

There's a few options that could help - 1. lower the gain. 2. stand further away from the amp. 3. invest in a noisegate.

It happens to everyone and is perfectly normal.

Mostly, it is a rehearsal room-only problem. If you play live with a miked-up amp, you rarely need to play very loud. (It's even counterproductive to play loud then, because if the stage volume is loud it gets harder for the sound engineer to mix, and for you to control the monitor's mix on stage.)

Play with musicians that can control their volume. It saves you a lot of frustration with the gear, helps you play better and most importantly spares your ears. If you have a drummer that play the world's largest drumkit very loudly in a small rehearsal room - leave if you can't make him change his playing. Trying to make your guitar heard above that isn't an option.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by sandvika
There isn't a humming problem, it sounds like the guitar is playing harmonics when I let go of the strings.

That's called feedback. It's caused by the amp's volume being loud enough to vibrate the strings (i.e. "feeding" vibration back to the guitar), then the amp amplifying that vibration again and causing more.

And yeah, it's normal, and preventing it is pretty intuitive, really. Less volume means less feedback, less echoey spaces mean less feedback, less treble means less feedback, not standing in front of the speaker means less feedback.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Usually I only hear unpleasant loud screeching from a guitar when I'm making contact with the strings...
Quote by TobusRex
Usually I only hear unpleasant loud screeching from a guitar when I'm making contact with the strings...

Loved this.

And to the OP. It's just feedback like everyone else said. Try one of these. According to one of my favorite youtube guitarists, it's his favorite on the market.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DecimatorV2?adpos=1o1&creative=55282474801&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CLy534Dm8scCFRCEaQod9uMMuw

And until then, just turn your volume down real fast when you're not playing. Keep your playing clean, or use less gain. Stand further from the amp and just keep what you're playing in mind. A little feedback can be fun if you use it right. Open chords fading into SOME feedback is pretty cool right before an intro. Can even use it between songs as a transition, if used tastefully.

EDIT: Was his favorite pedal. He usually uses rack mounts. He also prefers this one over the ISP now.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR/M-135-Smart-Gate-Pedal-1274228082179.gc?country=us&currency=usd&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CNGZsL7p8scCFRCqaQodD9gCjg&kwid=productads-plaid^143212097562-sku^1274228082179@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^57619015002
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Sep 12, 2015,
Loud screeching sound when not touching the strings.

Unplug the cat from the wall.