Hello!

I recently made an observation: I have actually two techniques to play with a pick which I seem to vary depending on the pace I'm playing. With low pace I tend to use more my fingers and high pace I seem to use the wrist. In the mid-pace, where the fingers start to lose and my wrist to win, my technique is awkward and sloppy. That might tell that I haven't been practicing that pace enough, but I can't seem to get past it.

But the question is, is there supposed to be only one strict way to pick (either fingers or the wrist) and would it be more efficient to have only one way to pick?
It sounds like your picking technique is pretty off the mark. I'd start by keeping your wrist straight. Use your forearm to move from string to string with your elbow as a fulcrum. On the down pick put pressure on your thumb, up on your index finger. Its not something that can easily be fixed for you on a forum post.
You're going to have to experiment some more.

For many, crossing strings by forearm move (as little as required for your pick to get to the target string) gives the most accurate control.

To elaborate on that, there are two possible motions. I'm exaggerating a lot here, for clarity.

1/ If you rest your forearm on a desk, and then pull it back, as though getting ready to punch, and then push it forward, this back and forth motion can translate onto the guitar to cross strings.

or

2/ Rest your elbow on your knee, and keeping it there. bring youir fist towards your head, and then back. Again, this can translate onto crossing strings.

Personally, I use 1/

When you arrive (or start at) the target string, you could pick from your fingers, or from your wrist (either way with minimal motion). I use my wrist.

Break the motion down, and examine each part.

E.g. on bass string, use an up-stroke, then down-stroke, and then consider the angle of your pick that best matches how you move your forearm to get to the 5th string at your preferred angle to start picking there.

Do this mega, mega, slowly.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Sep 12, 2015,
Quote by jerrykramskoy

... For many, crossing strings by forearm move (as little as required for your pick to get to the target string) gives the most accurate control...

I want to thank you for this. This actually made my picking easier. I dumped my fingering and concentrated on only using wrist for picking motion. Now my picking is constant and I tried string skipping with only my forearm. This is gold.

Thank you.
I'd love to help, but if you read my post "Fingers, or Pick?" you'll know why I can't! Sorry!!